The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

It's a Chicken/Egg argument; LP and AG were insanely talented, but how much were they helped by the incredible offensive lines they ran behind? And how would that O-line affect guys like Helu or Burkhead? 

I get your point on the oline. But most people- and not just husker people would say Phillips may have been one of the best talents they had ever seen at runningback. He got a little sideways with trouble when he got to the NFL. AG went on to be the all time leading rusher in packers history. So that is further evidence it was not just subjective or the husker olines. Helu and burkhead are in the NFL but they are not on the same level.

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I get your point on the oline. But most people- and not just husker people would say Phillips may have been one of the best talents they had ever seen at runningback. He got a little sideways with trouble when he got to the NFL. AG went on to be the all time leading rusher in packers history. So that is further evidence it was not just subjective or the husker olines. Helu and burkhead are in the NFL but they are not on the same level.

If I could +100 this comment I would. Burkhead didn't/doesn't have breakaway speed. Helu didn't have the physicality of LP and AG who also had breakaway speed. Helu and Burkhead were good...very good. LP and AG were G.O.A.T.s. End of conversation.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I don't think so either.  I'd have to go back and see how Frost worded it.  I can see being "tight" and not cutting/accelerating like he should have.  But not running straight-line at top speed.

I do think the Colorado defender had a bit of an angle on him on the first run.  But the second run I really thought he was gone.  I just don't think he's as fast as we hoped he would be.

Was it the same guy that caught him both times?

6 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So after Troy chases him down can we all finally admit maybe he isnt as fast as we think or hope.

I would be surprised if that happens - however don't believe that Bell has been advertised as one of our 5/10 fastest players.  Bell and OZ will get carries due to their ability to gain 6-10 yards.  Long term - SF would prefer the speed that will take it to the house.

1 hour ago, GBRFAN said:

I would be surprised if that happens - however don't believe that Bell has been advertised as one of our 5/10 fastest players.  Bell and OZ will get carries due to their ability to gain 6-10 yards.  Long term - SF would prefer the speed that will take it to the house.

I thought there was a quote out there somewhere from some of our coaches saying he was a home run threat. Also didn't many on this board say he was gone after 1 year. If you run like a 4.6 or 4.7 at 200 lbs you are not going pro after 1 year. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So after Troy chases him down can we all finally admit maybe he isnt as fast as we think or hope.

Is he maybe not as fast as fans had hoped? Who knows?

If he finds holes really well and picks up first downs constantly but occasionally gets tracked down by a safety, that's probably the last thing I'm worried about for this season.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Undone said:

Is he maybe not as fast as fans had hoped? Who knows?

If he finds holes really well and picks up first downs constantly but occasionally gets tracked down by a safety, that's probably the last thing I'm worried about for this season.

Yes, this is right on.  I am more interested in the RB that gets me the first 5 yards per carry consistantly vs the RB that gets the big play and several no gains 

Once a RB has about 100 carries in comparable circumstances, the one that averages more per carry after you throw out the 3 longest and 3 shortest is usually the reliable, steady producer.   Frost like almost any coach with half a brain, will want speed, quickness, power and balance and reliability, PLUS if possible breakaway speed.  But your priority is to find a way to get first downs and move in for TDs.  Ball security is critical first.   

Washington is a frosh with too much dance and not enough head up field in the first few yards.  Bell is a slasher that has good speed and vision but does not have that 4.3 / 10.6 speed.

Ozigbo is quite similar to Bell.  Washington needs to add 25 lbs atleast.   Bell could use another 10 and to run lower to the ground and so on but he is adequate back.

36 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Yes, this is right on.  I am more interested in the RB that gets me the first 5 yards per carry consistantly vs the RB that gets the big play and several no gains 

Once a RB has about 100 carries in comparable circumstances, the one that averages more per carry after you throw out the 3 longest and 3 shortest is usually the reliable, steady producer.   Frost like almost any coach with half a brain, will want speed, quickness, power and balance and reliability, PLUS if possible breakaway speed.  But your priority is to find a way to get first downs and move in for TDs.  Ball security is critical first.   

Washington is a frosh with too much dance and not enough head up field in the first few yards.  Bell is a slasher that has good speed and vision but does not have that 4.3 / 10.6 speed.

Ozigbo is quite similar to Bell.  Washington needs to add 25 lbs atleast.   Bell could use another 10 and to run lower to the ground and so on but he is adequate back.

I get what your saying. But that’s what killian last year did and Otis Anderson. Lamichael and Barner at Oregon. Elite speed at RB so when frost makes that play call that he had been setting up earlier. That RB speed makes you pay with a 70 yd td. It is what led to those landslides you would see at UCF and Oregon where you saw 30 points in a quarter. Cause the defense over comps to cover than run lane and frost pops them over the top for 70 yd wide open td. Then the d head is spinning. If you have a huge lane and get 10 yds I’m just saying we won’t make teams pay and will require longer drives and more plays to score. 

I dont know what washington weighs now but guessing he will wanna he 205-210 to go pro. But he shouldn’t pack it all on at once and lose speed. If he gets space he is plenty Big now- use the speed. Killian was like 155 

This is possible - well, except for the 95-year-old part.  As I rewatched last night - only got to the first big run so far - it looked like he might have been peeking over his should a lot which slows you down.  

But I'm a bit skeptical until I see more.

Held said he thought Greg Bell "ran too tight" one one breakaway play that went for a big gain but not a touchdown. "If you look at it, he was laboring, instead of being like a track runner and just running. I think he was like, 'Oh gosh, here it is. I want to score a touchdown so bad.' He just looked like he was a 95-year-old man out there running because I know he can run. He understands that."

• Fire 1
29 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This is possible - well, except for the 95-year-old part.  As I rewatched last night - only got to the first big run so far - it looked like he might have been peeking over his should a lot which slows you down.  

But I'm a bit skeptical until I see more.

"Ran too tight" might be code for playing with an injury. Damon Benning has implied several times that Bell has an undisclosed injury which may be affecting his speed. This may be purely speculative, though DB seems close to this staff.

42 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

He also had a 10 yard head start and #1 caught him from behind.  Had no angle whatsoever.  

This is completely false.  He #1 may have been 10 yards away when Bell got the ball but that's about it.  #1 was at most a step-and-a-half behind Bell when Bell cleared the linebackers.