Parkland, FL High School Shooting

38 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

These companies can easily clamp down on fake accounts or accounts that clearly are working for a foreign force like Russia did in the last election.

What becomes harder is for them to regulate legitimate accounts of individuals but making a decision on deleting the account based on the content of what is posted.

Yes, agreed. 

35 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

This is an AR.  Its a semi -auto.

ar15-1-1.png.fec3176ef770c667cd66c53b99e142b4.png

This is also a semi-auto rifle.  

images.jpeg.fc4534df691591c9edf15a889ec78d2d.jpeg

See the difference?  This is why i have an issue with people wanting to ban all semi-auto guns.  I own 6 semi auto rifles like the one on the bottom.  I do not own an AR because i really have no use for one.  

Not even gonna lie. If I had the chance, I'd love to shoot the top gun.  The bottom... sure.  But the top one looks more fun.

Thread that offers an important reminder of what it means when people like Trump talk about "we need to [do something] about mental health."  All their impulses are authoritarian. Arm teachers. "Offensive capability" needed in schools. Catch and lock up the mentally ill.

So disgustingly un-American it's hard to believe.

Edited by zoogs
  • Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Not even gonna lie. If I had the chance, I'd love to shoot the top gun.  The bottom... sure.  But the top one looks more fun.

You hit on something that is never discussed in these conversations.  When someone picks up the top gun, it instills a totally different mentality than when they pick up the bottom one.  Yes, they basically are the same gun.  They both shoot the same caliber...etc.  But, when people pick up the top gun, they have the mentality of...."I'm going to go blow the crap out of something." And, it's made to "blow the crap" out of human beings.

• Plus1 3

I love the people who talk about past countries where only the military ended up with guns and they had no defense. WTF do you and your cronies think you'll be able to do? This isn't Rambo or the 1500's. You will be sitting at your house drinking coffee and some dude will push a button to have a drone splash you from 1,000 miles away. Get serious people 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I love the people who talk about past countries where only the military ended up with guns and they had no defense. WTF do you and your cronies think you'll be able to do? This isn't Rambo or the 1500's. You will be sitting at your house drinking coffee and some dude will push a button to have a drone splash you from 1,000 miles away. Get serious people 

This is THE argument people have. We have to defend ourselves from the govm't.

Ya, good luck with that.

There's a reason why Iraq's military was like gossamer when we invaded.

I mean, I think there is something to be said about a well-armed citizenry being much, much harder to pacify than an unarmed one, and you can point to our costly occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan as examples. There are guns everywhere, and when the Iraqi guard was disbanded...

But on balance the fact that guns are everywhere is just a huge public health hazard. Mass shootings are just a slice of the casualties and the incidences of gun violence which we choose to tolerate by not confronting this. And there are still state-level national guards. I can kind of see the "don't disarm the entire populace" argument, but as you all have mentioned, it's a pretty different day and age now.

In other news, I can't even put into words how encouraged I've been by the actions of these high school kids in Florida. In a little over a week they've forced a CNN town hall, organized protests and marches, got a lying Florida aide fired, were the catalyst of millions of dollars in donations, and have pressured POTUS to ban bump stocks and the Florida governor to raise the minimum age to buy a gun to 21. 

Not only that, but they've done it while also completely embarrassing and dominating right-wing trolls and keeping their heads high while they're the victims of disgusting smear campaigns. Bravo kids. Keep showing us how we should all be working towards a better future.

• Plus1 4
37 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

This isn't true. As @zoogs mentioned, all you have to do is look at any of the half dozen countries we've been droning over the last decade. You can make the argument that peaceful protesters overthrow governments more effectively (aka with fewer people) and therefore we don't need guns to rebel, but it's definitely not certain that an armed rebellion would be easily crushed.

But even if we want guns for the purpose of potentially rebelling, there are ways to do that without letting just anyone get an AR-15 - actual militias that regulated themselves is one option.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

You hit on something that is never discussed in these conversations.  When someone picks up the top gun, it instills a totally different mentality than when they pick up the bottom one.  Yes, they basically are the same gun.  They both shoot the same caliber...etc.  But, when people pick up the top gun, they have the mentality of...."I'm going to go blow the crap out of something." And, it's made to "blow the crap" out of human beings.

I will agree with you on that.  Being able to rattle off 30 shells in no time is honestly euphoric.  That is why i do believe if they ban high capacity magazines,  it will lower those feelings. 

I'm no gonna kid anyone.  I love shooting ARs for the very reason i mentioned.  I just don't own one because it doesnt really suit my needs or wants.  

• Plus1 1