Russia

5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order-from-chaos/2018/03/05/dont-rehabilitate-obama-on-russia/amp/

But not everything is relative; we should not slip into collective amnesia over the Obama administration’s weak and underwhelming response to Russian aggression. Throughout his presidency, Obama consistently underestimated the challenge posed by Putin’s regime. His foreign policy was firmly grounded in the premise that Russia was not a national security threat to the United States. In 2012, Obama disparaged Mitt Romney for exaggerating the Russian threat—“the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because the Cold War’s been over for 20 years,” Obama quipped. This breezy attitude prevailed even as Russia annexed Crimea, invaded eastern Ukraine, intervened in Syria, and hacked the Clinton campaign and the DNC. Obama’s response during these critical moments was cautious at best, and deeply misguided at worst. Even the imposition of sanctions on Russia for its invasion of Ukraine was accompanied by so much propitiation and restraint elsewhere that it didn’t deter Russia from subsequent aggression, including the risky 2016 influence operation in the United States. Obama, confident that history was on America’s side, for the duration of his time in office underestimated the damaging impact Russia could achieve through asymmetric means.

France and Germany spearheaded the Minsk ceasefire process in 2014-2015, with U.S. support but without Washington at the table. The Obama administration did coordinate a far-ranging sanctions policy with the European Union—an important diplomatic achievement, to be sure. But to date, the sanctions have only had a middling effect on the Russian economy as a whole (oil and gas prices have hurt much more). And given that sanctions cut both ways—potential value is destroyed on both sides when economic activity is systematically prohibited—most of the sacrifice was (and continues to be) born by European economies, which have longstanding ties to Russia

yeah...obama made some mistakes for sure.   but he did place sanctions and cause some economic pain for russia.    trump waltzed in and forgave russia and sided with putin on Crimea.    so how was trump tougher on Russia?    stopping military aid to Ukraine?   easing the sanctions on Russia?    siding with Putin?   

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah, this is how this works.  I'll copy your post so you don't have to go through the effort.  

This is implying that Putin is doing what he's doing because Biden is in office instead of Trump.

So, what is different now compared to between 2016 and 2020?

You hate Trump so much that you aren’t reading simple posts correctly.  You have a preconceived view of what someone says vs reading and comprehending what was actually said.   You constantly “imply” things to your slant or wish instead of taking comments at face value.   Get that Trump hatred out and you won’t have that problem going forward.  

Thanks for copying the post as it clearly shows I’m questioning why this didn’t happen during the 2016-2020 years and instead is happening now?   Someone here even still tries to make the claim that Trump admin tries to destroy NATO:facepalm:.  I’d that were actually true, 2016-2020 would have been an ideal time for this.   But here we are in 2022.  Why now?  (Hint, that’s a question because I don’t know the answer).  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, commando said:

yeah...obama made some mistakes for sure.   but he did place sanctions and cause some economic pain for russia.    trump waltzed in and forgave russia and sided with putin on Crimea.    so how was trump tougher on Russia?    stopping military aid to Ukraine?   easing the sanctions on Russia?    siding with Putin?   

Did Trump admin not do sanctions against Russia?  Did Ukrainian funding lapse?  Did Trump supply Javelins? (What does Zelensky think of those).  
what sanctions did Trump admin ease up on that you speak about? If there were some, what did that effect?  As a follow up, why did Dems filibuster a sanctions bill on Nord Stream? 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Archy1221 said:

Did Trump admin not do sanctions against Russia?  Did Ukrainian funding lapse?  Did Trump supply Javelins? (What does Zelensky think of those).  
what sanctions did Trump admin ease up on that you speak about? If there were some, what did that effect?  As a follow up, why did Dems filibuster a sanctions bill on Nord Stream? 

the dems and a few republicans did push back on trump easing sanctions and military aide.   trump did his best to end it all but the push back kept some in place.    and we already covered the dem filibuster but you conveniently want to forget that.    look it up...it's there.    

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You hate Trump so much that you aren’t reading simple posts correctly.  You have a preconceived view of what someone says vs reading and comprehending what was actually said.   You constantly “imply” things to your slant or wish instead of taking comments at face value.   Get that Trump hatred out and you won’t have that problem going forward.  

Thanks for copying the post as it clearly shows I’m questioning why this didn’t happen during the 2016-2020 years and instead is happening now?   Someone here even still tries to make the claim that Trump admin tries to destroy NATO:facepalm:.  I’d that were actually true, 2016-2020 would have been an ideal time for this.   But here we are in 2022.  Why now?  (Hint, that’s a question because I don’t know the answer).  

The bolded is exactly what you did with the post I copied.  Which, is what you do all the time.  You imply something, then cry about people's response.

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Romney was right.  I agreed with him then and the facts are supporting him - Russia is and has been our greatest geopolitical rival. 

I often think that the USA would be in a much better place if Romney had been elected in 2012. Not so much because he would have replaced Obama but because he would have had the 2016 GOP nomination and not Trump.  He wasn't perfect by any means but I think he had it in him to be a better president than Obama in his final 4 years and he would have made no room for perhaps the worse guy to ever sit in the White House. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/it-s-time-to-admit-it-mitt-romney-was-right-about-russia/ar-AAUajFA?ocid=entnewsntp

• Plus1 2
27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The bolded is exactly what you did with the post I copied.  Which, is what you do all the time.  You imply something, then cry about people's response.

I’ve come to realize you can’t back up your claim with any actual relevant facts (LP must not have figured out their spin yet) and that’s why you keep making these odd reading comprehension mistakes.  No point in going any further with you.  

17 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Romney was right.  I agreed with him then and the facts are supporting him - Russia is and has been our greatest geopolitical rival. 

I often think that the USA would be in a much better place if Romney had been elected in 2012. Not so much because he would have replaced Obama but because he would have had the 2016 GOP nomination and not Trump.  He wasn't perfect by any means but I think he had it in him to be a better president than Obama in his final 4 years and he would have made no room for perhaps the worse guy to ever sit in the White House. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/it-s-time-to-admit-it-mitt-romney-was-right-about-russia/ar-AAUajFA?ocid=entnewsntp

Romney made a mistake not running in 2016. 

10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’ve come to realize you can’t back up your claim with any actual relevant facts (LP must not have figured out their spin yet) and that’s why you keep making these odd reading comprehension mistakes.  No point in going any further with you.  

I’ve come to realize you do nothing but post fly by posts implying things you can’t back up then when pressed on it, you act like you never meant that, but never clarify….you just claim everyone else is wrong.  

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Romney made a mistake not running in 2016. 

Got that right.  Maybe those 100 other candidates would have cleared the way and let him go one on one wt Trump.  What a contrast that would have been. 

The GOP had too many egotistic GOP senators who thought they could have been king.  In the end, Gov Kasich was the only one I thought was  likeable and electable and capable.  That too was a YUGE missed opportunity for the GOP.  Or one could also say, the GOP by then had become so Trumpian that they got their opportunity in Trump. 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Wow. this here pundit has been credibly quoted by some of our conservative members right here on this very forum. 

Remember when the GOP used to be the strongest voices against Russia? I barely remember anymore.

FMODlrGWUAoIh6s?format=jpg&name=orig

FMODlrDX0AQfuu-?format=jpg&name=orig

We need to invade Canada because Putin is our fault.  Sounds on brand.

• Plus1 3
32 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

the russian handlers of the people you listen to have figured out their spin.

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Wow. this here pundit has been credibly quoted by some of our conservative members right here on this very forum. 

Remember when the GOP used to be the strongest voices against Russia? I barely remember anymore.

FMODlrGWUAoIh6s?format=jpg&name=orig

FMODlrDX0AQfuu-?format=jpg&name=orig

At least Candace Owens gets paid well to be a pot-stirring GOP shill. Some folks here do it for free out of pure ideology.

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 2