Verduzco on Quarterbacks

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think wrestling is a very different type of sport because a really good wrestler with good fundamentals at any age can beat a stronger athlete.  Many sports aren't that way early on.  When a kid starts playing baseball, if he's bigger than all the rest of the kids and can at least make contact with the ball, he can usually hit better and throw better.  Problem is, baseball at an elite level is one of the most fundamentally demanding sports there is.  Professional baseball players are there BECAUSE they know the fundamentals so well....and probably didn't get by as a kid just on athleticism.  You can't make a double play at second base just because you're a good athlete.  It's because you have drilled it over and over again till it's second nature on how to do it right.  

Sorry for derailing the thread, but this is exactly what I'm talking about.  There are kids on my son's team who have super long swings, so when they face an easier pitcher they can do well, but they are almost automatic strike-outs against hard throwers.  Don't get me started on trying to get infielders to get in front of the ball.  Most of the time, they are flat out afraid of the ball.  I had two kids say "I got hit in the face by the ball once" and I just wanted to say back "I don't care".  The best of the best are great athletes and have great fundamentals.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Sorry for derailing the thread, but this is exactly what I'm talking about.  There are kids on my son's team who have super long swings, so when they face an easier pitcher they can do well, but they are almost automatic strike-outs against hard throwers.  Don't get me started on trying to get infielders to get in front of the ball.  Most of the time, they are flat out afraid of the ball.  I had two kids say "I got hit in the face by the ball once" and I just wanted to say back "I don't care".  The best of the best are great athletes and have great fundamentals.

i would have told him "chicks dig scars".

• Plus1 3
12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm a firm believer this is a problem because too many youth coaches think they need to act like their coaching at a Div 1 power 5 school for a national championship.....instead of drilling the basics about fundamentals.

Same with NFL guys coaching college teams, really.

9 hours ago, desertshox said:

i would have told him "chicks dig scars".

7fe0e22b7432a47cfb2071485738984a.jpg

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...

• 10 months later...
On 6/27/2018 at 10:14 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

I see this all the time in the 12-year old baseball team I help coach.  There are a few kids who have "strong arms" but they have terrible technique.  They don't get their legs into their throw or throw the ball sidearm which creates bad spin on the ball or other things with bad technique.  This poor technique causes inconsistency and inaccuracy.  When my son was young, I taught him the proper grip and proper throwing motion to get a consistent back-spin on his baseball throws.  Even though he doesn't have a strong arm, he's extremely accurate with his throws.  I will try to work with the kids or talk to their parents about techniques to improve how they throw the ball, but they don't want to listen.  These kids are only 12, I couldn't imagine trying to overhaul a high-school or college aged kid.

I have coached forever as you know...

Bad practice:  Scrimmage, run plays over and over, and yell things like "Hit 'em harder", and over 90 minutes

Good practice:  Rep what you want them to do and get done in 90 minutes.

Baseball is so different because everyone wants to hit and pitch but as you know...it is all about STATIONS.  Where it is easy to see issues and correct them.

• 5 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

It is SUCH a huge scam...Now, I am all for them running the scam and taking money from parents that are more than happy to open up their wallets and purses...

I have a former player (now) that goes to a dude in Texas and I think Tennessee...parents spend a TON on these QB Guru-dorks...and the kid will not sniff college ball.  And honestly is a pretty lame HS QB too.

The outside camps and s#!t that I have run...I could put in a sweet pool in my backyard.

• Fire 1