Against adding to playoff

The G5 commissioners should get together and propose that they have their own 4 team playoff at the end of the season. If they are effectively going to be blackballed by the CFP committee and the NCAA from even being eligible for a national championship, tell those guys to F off and give them their own championship. 

I think a big change that would go a long way towards "fixing" the postseason would be some semblance of regular season scheduling parity. Right now, someone might play an FCS and 2 or 3 of the worst G5 teams in the country while another team plays a marquee P5 opponent alongside a couple of above average G5 opponents. I'm not sure how you fix that though

21 hours ago, Enhance said:

I think it's more about relativity to the field rather than the sole values of one or two losses. tOSU would've made the playoff last year over a hypothetical two loss Alabama.

Regardless, I tend to agree with what you're saying. The CFP has ignored conference champions in favor of teams that had better regular seasons. In 2017, I think we can easily argue that tOSU was punished for playing a tougher non-con schedule (and losing a game) versus Alabama playing a weaker non-con and winning them all.

The bolded is accurate.  While it's my opinion, I also believe it would be accurate to say Ohio State would have gotten into the playoff last year had Auburn won the SEC.  The committee would more than likely have put both two loss conference champions in the playoff while leaving Bama at home.  It didn't happen, so we'll never know. 

What has really been lost in all the discussion here that has made up three pages is what happens when a one loss Notre Dame team doesn't make the playoff while a couple one loss conference champions get in, or Notre Dame does get in while a one loss conference champ doesn't?  This is more than likely the surest way to get the playoff expanded.     

5 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

What has really been lost in all the discussion here that has made up three pages is what happens when a one loss Notre Dame team doesn't make the playoff while a couple one loss conference champions get in, or Notre Dame does get in while a one loss conference champ doesn't?  This is more than likely the surest way to get the playoff expanded.     

Good thing Notre Dame hasn't been super great, am I right? :lol:

In truth, this is a good question. Notre Dame gets a lot of credit for their SOS most years. My gut reaction: I think the current format might still favor a one-loss conference champion over a one-loss Notre Dame because the conference champ has one more data point against a (presumably) top 25 or even top 10 opponent.

3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Good thing Notre Dame hasn't been super great, am I right? :lol:

In truth, this is a good question. Notre Dame gets a lot of credit for their SOS most years. My gut reaction: I think the current format might still favor a one-loss conference champion over a one-loss Notre Dame because the conference champ has one more data point against a (presumably) top 25 or even top 10 opponent.

While I have no idea what the committee would do given the bolded, I can tell you that all h**l would break loose if Notre Dame didn't make the playoff.  At one time, I was against P5 champions getting an automatic bid into an 8 team playoff.  However, every conference has made tremendous upgrades in the past five or so years in terms of coaching.  I'm willing to now concede putting all P5 champions in with three at large teams.  This leaves room for an independent like Notre Dame as well as room for a cinderella like UCF. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

But not to the point where they would be in the conference championship game, so they still wouldn't have that.

5 minutes ago, Redux said:

Notre Dame is all but joined into the ACC.  They've done so quietly, but almost a full football member.

One of Jim Delaney's biggest regrets will be not getting Notre Dame to join the Big Ten.