Are you surprised at where we are at?

22 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Nick Saban went 6-6 his first season at Alabama but it’s “unacceptable.” Kay.

All in the semantics.

IMHO, 6-6 would be a bit of a disappointment, even for Year 1.  Simply because I think we are significantly more talented than at least six teams on our schedule (Akron, Troy, Illinois, Purdue for sure plus Colorado, Minnesota and probably Northwestern) and have every chance to compete with 3-4 more (Wisconsin, Michigan State, Iowa and maybe even Michigan).  So to finish 6-6 would mean we lost pretty much every game that was even a coin flip, which would be a bit disappointing.

That doesn't mean that I'll want Frost fired if we go 6-6.  But I really think we will be at least 7-5, have a decent shot at 8-4 and even 9-3 wouldn't be shocking.

• Plus1 3
12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

All in the semantics.

IMHO, 6-6 would be a bit of a disappointment, even for Year 1.  Simply because I think we are significantly more talented than at least six teams on our schedule (Akron, Troy, Illinois, Purdue for sure plus Colorado, Minnesota and probably Northwestern) and have every chance to compete with 3-4 more (Wisconsin, Michigan State, Iowa and maybe even Michigan).  So to finish 6-6 would mean we lost pretty much every game that was even a coin flip, which would be a bit disappointing.

That doesn't mean that I'll want Frost fired if we go 6-6.  But I really think we will be at least 7-5, have a decent shot at 8-4 and even 9-3 wouldn't be shocking.

Pretty much where my head is at on the season.

21 hours ago, Enhance said:

Delusional is too strong of a word but I think anyone predicting 8-9 wins is drinking a larger class of Kool-Aid than others. :lol:

In more realistic terms, I think predictions above 8 wins are largely based upon belief in Frost and his staff, better conditioning and the fair amount of roster turnover having an immediate positive impact. I'm personally unable to go that far because I can't get past some of the scheduling, the young QB situation and some pretty big question marks defensively. I believe it's asking a lot to predict all of that will gel well enough in less than a year to result in near double digit wins.

I think 7 wins - highly likely.  8 wins a good possibility, 9 - is extremely optimistic -  no major injuries, the new QB having Heisman like qualities, and a D that is  dominant - something we haven't seen in years.   We need some 'luck' along the way as well - maybe OSU falls apart if Meyer gets canned, injuries wreck the bright forecast for Wisc and Mich and our ability to upset MSU remains in order. 

I do think we will be better than a typical year 1 team but as someone said maybe not yet a year 2 team.   If they gel quickly maybe we can get there by mid season.

16 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

If you read my post - I didn't ignore your nice little list of coaches that struggled during their first season.  I stated i'm sure there is a similar list of different coaches that had great years during their first campaign

Honestly, not really.

In the last 25 years, the only P5 coaches I could find that won double digit games in their first seasons are Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh, Les Miles, Bret Bielema, Chip Kelly, and Mark Helfricht. 

Every single one of those took over a team that was either a Top 15 ranked team the year before, and/or had Top 15 talent. 

Edit: Forgot Kevin Sumlin, the guy that benefitted from maybe the best college quarterback ever and then flamed out :lol:

• Plus1 1

I think 7-5 is the realistic outcome. Eight wins would be outstanding, but I will be fine with 7-5 if the team shows improvement from the start of the season to the end of the season. The team just kind of floundered and went through the motions by the end of the last season. I believe Coach Frost can install a renewed passion and pride, so I'll be fine with a few hiccups on the road to the growth.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, CharBroiled said:

I think 7-5 is the realistic outcome. Eight wins would be outstanding, but I will be fine with 7-5 if the team shows improvement from the start of the season to the end of the season. The team just kind of floundered and went through the motions by the end of the last season. I believe Coach Frost can install a renewed passion and pride, so I'll be fine with a few hiccups on the road to the growth.

8-5 :thumbs gotta count that bowl win

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

All in the semantics.

I agree. People have weird definitions for acceptable.

I think we’ll win 8-9 games but 6-6 is definitely acceptable.

12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I agree. People have weird definitions for acceptable.

I think we’ll win 8-9 games but 6-6 is definitely acceptable.

The dictionary definition of unacceptable is not satisfactory.

I don't want to live in a world where 6-6 is definitely satisfactory.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The dictionary definition is not satisfactory.

I don't want to live in a world where 6-6 is definitely satisfactory.

If we go 6-6 you can and will accept it. Furthermore, you’ll still believe Frost is going to turn this around and think we’ll have a really good season in 2019. Especially if we win the bowl game.

i.e. a 6-6 2018 is acceptable.

Also, this definition is a lot closer than the one you gave: “able to be tolerated or allowed.”

1 minute ago, Toe said:

On the list of people surprised where we're at: Erik Chinander.

Translation:  Chinander thought the team totally sucked based on last year's results, things improved in the spring, but not that much.  Now, after summer conditioning and the first 4 practices, the coaches are much more encouraged.

• Plus1 3