it's all about recruiting

13 teams from the '18 Rivals top 15 recruiting classes are ranked in the latest top 25 poll.  

not much else to say. if you want to be good you have to recruit the best.

worth noting our last top 15 class according to rivals was in 2011.

the 2019 class currently stands at 19th. it's going to be hard to improve that unless we start winning some games. Only 1 recruit has been added since the start of the season.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, BoSolich said:

13 teams from the '18 Rivals top 15 recruiting classes are ranked in the latest top 25 poll.

That also means that 12 in the top 25 did NOT have a top 15 class that year.

Now, to ultimately get back to where we want to be (top 5 or top 10 nationally on a regular basis) we need good recruiting.

Our problems this year, however, in 3 of the 4 games played, were NOT because of poor recruiting.  We have the physical talent on the team to be 3-1 right now.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

That also means that 12 in the top 25 did NOT have a top 15 class that year.

Now, to ultimately get back to where we want to be (top 5 or top 10 nationally on a regular basis) we need good recruiting.

Our problems this year, however, in 3 of the 4 games played, were NOT because of poor recruiting.  We have the physical talent on the team to be 3-1 right now.

so physical talent is not always the answer?? yes it is important, but Scott is looking for attitude players too......Boise State and UCF seldom recruit great classes......but they have a system that works........Iowa, same deal.....Scott will get his system installed in a couple years........he needs to recruit speed too.

6 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

so physical talent is not always the answer?? yes it is important, but Scott is looking for attitude players too......Boise State and UCF seldom recruit great classes......but they have a system that works........Iowa, same deal.....Scott will get his system installed in a couple years........he needs to recruit speed too.

Physical talent is important.  You need players that can physically do what you want them to do. You can't expect CBs to keep up with fast WRs if they physically can't fun fast.

However, my point is that there are teams like UCF that have very good schemes and the players play great team football with the right attitude.  That can make up for a lot of lacking elsewhere.

When the opposing team runs 25 yards for a TD because the LB that was supposed to fill that hole is running in the other direction....don't who knows what...that isn't lack of physical talent. It's players not understanding what they are supposed to do and playing as a team.

The stupid penalties we are seeing are not because of a lack of physical talent.  It's a lack of discipline and concentration in both practice and the game.

We need to get to the point where UCF is in team aspect, mental aspect and right attitude.  That will get us wins.  THEN, it's easier to start recruiting better and better players to get us to that top 5 ranking consistently.

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

However, my point is that there are teams like UCF that have very good schemes and the players play great team football with the right attitude.  That can make up for a lot of lacking elsewhere.

UCF did not in any way lack talent.  They had NFL draft picks, including the AAC defensive player of the year.

• Plus1 3
13 minutes ago, TheSker said:

UCF did not in any way lack talent.  They had NFL draft picks, including the AAC defensive player of the year.

Yes but as far as recruiting goes, they are considered far less talented than alot of teams around the country. We are talking about the talent coming into the program not leaving the program. There are many factors that play into that, one main one being coaching.

We have recruited well enough to be substantially better than we are, but the poor coaching over the past 3 years have negated any talent advantage we had over our division via recruiting.

We need to keep our classes top 25 and develop the right attitude and culture. This thing will flip faster than the blink of an eye imo because I truly don't think our problem is recruiting. We could be better and we will need to be better to compete for a playoff spot, but we have the resources now to bring in classes good enough to regularly be competing for division titles.

Don't think our current roster talent is there due to terrible development, but with the way Frost is flipping the roster we should be back to that 8-9 win level soon enough. Getting past that will be a little more difficult.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

This thing will flip faster than the blink of an eye imo because I truly don't think our problem is recruiting.

Agree.

I firmly believe that at some point, this team is going to have one of those games where everything clicks and guys don't make stupid mistakes and it's going to be one of those "lightbulb" moments for the team and everyone's going to say..."where the hell has that been all year?"

• Plus1 5
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Agree.

I firmly believe that at some point, this team is going to have one of those games where everything clicks and guys don't make stupid mistakes and it's going to be one of those "lightbulb" moments for the team and everyone's going to say..."where the hell has that been all year?"

Yep. Would not be surprised to see us look like a completely different team in November. We have a mental block right now in my personal opinion.

11 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yep. Would not be surprised to see us look like a completely different team in November. We have a mental block right now in my personal opinion.

Maybe I'm overly pessimistic but I will be surprised if we see any sort of difference in this team come November. 4 games in and there has been no improvement and seemingly they are going backward. This team is mentally weak and gives up at the first sign of adversity. We need to graduate and transfer some of these cancers before we can get better.

• Plus1 3

45 minutes ago, billdozer15 said:

Maybe I'm overly pessimistic but I will be surprised if we see any sort of difference in this team come November. 4 games in and there has been no improvement and seemingly they are going backward. This team is mentally weak and gives up at the first sign of adversity. We need to graduate and transfer some of these cancers before we can get better.

I believe in Frost. We will be much better the last 4 games than the first 4.

34 minutes ago, billdozer15 said:

This. I don’t see a lack of talent, it’s a lack of effort. Purdue, at home, was their chance for some magical lightbulb moment. These players have 0 heart and are lazy. Some starters probably sweat more in warmups then the game. That didn’t change by bringing in a competent coach and won’t change this season. At least they’re taking their show on the road and will stink up somebody else’s field. Frost, I have matches.

13 hours ago, BoSolich said:

not much else to say. if you want to be good you have to recruit the best.

worth noting our last top 15 class according to rivals was in 2011.

the 2019 class currently stands at 19th. it's going to be hard to improve that unless we start winning some games. Only 1 recruit has been added since the start of the season.

You have to recruit well, keep them at your school and develop them.

• Plus1 1