The Angry Violent Right

Just now, JJ Husker said:

Yeah it’s just trying to stay relevant. These people don’t really believe the things they say :facepalm:

Geesh. You really have a thing for me don’t you.   You b!^@h and moan when I don’t criticize a Republican yet b!^@h and moan when I do criticize a Republican.  :facepalm::facepalm:

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Geesh. You really have a thing for me don’t you.   You b!^@h and moan when I don’t criticize a Republican yet b!^@h and moan when I do criticize a Republican.  :facepalm::facepalm:

It’s not you, it’s what you do. In this instance, once again, you down played the evilness of people from your preferred party.

Hey, I used to prefer the Republican party as well. But I have been paying attention the last 16 years or so. The R party has changed. Some of our more liberal posters would tell me I didn’t recognize it soon enough. Heck I was still defending GW well into Obama’s presidency. In fact I’d love it and would get back on that bus if the Rs reverted back to how they were in the early 2000s and prior. But it ain’t happening. So yeah, I get a little testy with people who still support this evil s#!tshow of a political party.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
12 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I think people are generally either annoyed and/or find it pitiful that you're incapable of seeing the forest you support through the trees as being the rotten, lost, fraudulent anti-American grift machine that it is.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
18 hours ago, JJ Husker said:
21 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s not you, it’s what you do. In this instance, once again, you down played the evilness of people from your preferred party.

How in the world did I downplay this?   Do you REALLY think that lady is gonna take up arms against the US government??  She’s not.  She trying to stay relevant amongst the group of people that can’t get over the 2020 election, that hate Biden and also pander to the gun but crowd.   

She lost, she needs to quit chirping and move on.   If my criticism isn’t enough for you, that’s more of a you problem, not a me problem.  

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I think people are generally either annoyed and/or find it pitiful that you're incapable of seeing the forest you support through the trees as being the rotten, lost, fraudulent anti-American grift machine that it is.

Gotcha, I called out this lady’s pandering grift yet I couldn’t see it.  Sound logic there:blink:.  As I said to JJ, that would be a you problem.   Pitiful or annoying as it is. 

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

How in the world did I downplay this?   Do you REALLY think that lady is gonna take up arms against the US government??  She’s not.  She trying to stay relevant amongst the group of people that can’t get over the 2020 election, that hate Biden and also pander to the gun but crowd.   

She lost, she needs to quit chirping and move on.   If my criticism isn’t enough for you, that’s more of a you problem, not a me problem.  

We can agree she lost and needs to quit chirping. I think the jury is still out on if she herself would take up arms. But the more dire problem is her dog whistling. She may be all talk but a good number of people who listen to her are not. Hopefully we both learned the same lesson from the J6 fiasco but you have given many reasons indicating you did not learn from it. The “you” problem would appear to be that you don’t realize how harmful this type of speech really is.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
On 6/10/2023 at 11:32 AM, JJ Husker said:

Hey, I used to prefer the Republican party as well. But I have been paying attention the last 16 years or so. The R party has changed. Some of our more liberal posters would tell me I didn’t recognize it soon enough. Heck I was still defending GW well into Obama’s presidency. In fact I’d love it and would get back on that bus if the Rs reverted back to how they were in the early 2000s and prior. But it ain’t happening. So yeah, I get a little testy with people who still support this evil s#!tshow of a political party.

I'd hate to think the awfulness of Trump has made us forget that the George W. Bush administration was an incompetent and vengeful s#!tshow of its own. 

I think the extreme right drift accelerated in the mid-90s, around the time of Waco, Bill Clinton, Janet Reno and burgeoning right wing talk radio telling listeners to "keep their powder dry" for an inevitable anti-government overthrow. Guys like G. Gordon Liddy and Olivier North sounded ridiculous and extreme, but that's also the time Rush Limbaugh became huge and seemingly mainstream.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'd hate to think the awfulness of Trump has made us forget that the George W. Bush administration was an incompetent and vengeful s#!tshow of its own. 

I think the extreme right drift accelerated in the mid-90s, around the time of Waco, Bill Clinton, Janet Reno and burgeoning right wing talk radio telling listeners to "keep their powder dry" for an inevitable anti-government overthrow. Guys like G. Gordon Liddy and Olivier North sounded ridiculous and extreme, but that's also the time Rush Limbaugh became huge and seemingly mainstream.  

Like I said, many posters hereabouts would say I didn’t recognize the problems soon enough. Maybe I didn’t but I still feel GW got a bit of a raw deal, dealing with what he had to.

I do think you are right about where things really started going off the tracks for the R party. It does coincide very well with the rise of Rush Limbaugh. I listened to him pretty regularly back in the day and thought he raised some good points but was overly bombastic in the process. Heck I even started down the Faux news path with O’Reilly and Hannity. Probably explains why I react a bit stronger to those who have not escaped the cult as I was lucky enough to do.

I think what actually saved me was objectively looking at the Obama years (and even Clinton in hindsight) and realizing they at least were making an attempt to help those below the 1% even if I didn’t agree with all their policies.  I still have a pretty strong aversion to politicians of all parties but now it’s the much easier function of recognizing which party is doing less harm to the country and which is attempting some of the correct things. That alone takes the R party off the table for me currently.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

More extreme than Oath Keepers  - the Patriot Front

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jun/16/patriot-front-far-right-violence

If you asked me about Patriot Front in 2017 or 2018, I’d say they’re looking for attention. They’re putting up some stickers, and doing some banner drops here and there, and it’s all about just getting in the news. But now it’s gone well beyond that,” said Stephen Piggott, a researcher at Western States Center who focuses on white nationalist, paramilitary and anti-democracy groups.

“I think the group is morphing from a solely propaganda-based outfit to a much more violent one, based on what we’ve seen over the past couple of years. They’re trending to much more violence, more in-person direct actions, versus putting up stickers under the cover of night.”

Patriot Front formed in 2017, having splintered from the white nationalist group Vanguard America in the wake of the deadly Unite the Right Rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. Led by Thomas Rousseau, Patriot Front initially focused on clandestine propaganda efforts: dropping racist literature in neighborhoods and posting stickers in public places.

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, Patriot Front was responsible for the vast majority of “hateful propaganda” in the US in 2019, 2020 and 2021. In the past couple of years, the group has begun to venture more into the daylight, and held more rallies and demonstrations.

The leadership has stayed the same, under Thomas Rousseau, a Texas-based extremist. But Patriot Front has changed.

“I think it’s indicative of the movement. The white nationalist movement more broadly is getting more extreme, more hardcore, more violent,” Piggott said.

That violence has been seen across the US. In May, Joe Biden described white supremacy as “the most dangerous terrorist threat” to the country. This week, a University of Chicago poll found that 12 million American adults, or 4.4% of the adult population, believe violence is justified to restore Donald Trump to the White House.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
  • 2 weeks later...