Special Teams

1 minute ago, brophog said:

If it's the coach and not the players then why is your following coach all about the players?

Without a good coach to coach the players, we must rely on very talented players that need little coaching. Since our unspecial teams coach does not seem to be coaching the players to go out there and do something positive then the only alternative is to get players that have an instinct for special plays. 

From your posts, you seem to think that the unspecial teams coach is doing the best he can with these players, right? I am sure there are many excellent special teams coaches out there. We just need to hire one that can help our players in this phase of the game. What we currently have is not working and trying to convince me that this is the best we can do is simply a joke. Just like the joke that Moiraine is trying to pull. Unfortunately, both jokes are not funny but actually sad.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

From your posts, you seem to think that the unspecial teams coach is doing the best he can with these players, right?

I'm not so sure, at the end of the day, that one or more coaching changes/restructuring to this staff won't be necessary to reach the level we, and Frost, want to get. That isn't decided in year 1, nor does it need to be.

I'm simply pointing out that you keep poking holes in your own arguments.

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, brophog said:

I'm not so sure, at the end of the day, that one or more coaching changes/restructuring to this staff won't be necessary to reach the level we, and Frost, want to get. That isn't decided in year 1, nor does it need to be.

I'm simply pointing out that you keep poking holes in your own arguments.

I do not think I am poking holes in my arguments. I have seen improvements on offense and defense but absolutely no improvements on special teams. Special teams use some of the same players that play on offense and defense. So, the only reason why the players are not executing well is because they are not coached well. Explain to me why don’t we ever go after a punt? Why do we fair catch over 90% of the time. We do we fail to flip the field on our opponents regularly. Why did we get one of our punts blocked today?

Again, I am not saying fire this coach. I am against firing coaches after one year. However, let him focus on OLB and hire someone who is known to be an excellent special teams coach. We obviously need to improve in this facet of the game so we can win close games. 

Why do do you think Scott Frost opted not to go for on onside kick with 2:57 left in the Game? I am sure he has zero confidence in his special teams.

3 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

Why do do you think Scott Frost opted not to go for on onside kick with 2:57 left in the Game? I am sure he has zero confidence in his special teams.

Or he had confidence in the defense could get a stop, when NU had 2 times out left.

If Frost didn’t have any confidence in his special teams coach, why would he allow an onsides kick to be called in the first quarter? That shows me the special teams coach must have seen something in OSU’s kick return to show that an onside kick could have worked in that situation. However, the kicker just completely whiffed on the kick. He may have practiced it perfectly every time in practice, but whiffed in the game. Do you blame that on the special teams coach?

8 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

We need a good knowledgeable coach for that phase of the game. Having one coach split duties is not working out as seen all season long. The offense and defense continue to improve whereas the unspecial teams continue to cost us games. It is time to find a good special teams coach and have them focus on that aspect of our team.

So right now we are maxed out on full time coaches.  Which one are you demoting to GA in order to have a full time ST coach?

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Or he had confidence in the defense could get a stop, when NU had 2 times out left.

If Frost didn’t have any confidence in his special teams coach, why would he allow an onsides kick to be called in the first quarter? That shows me the special teams coach must have seen something in OSU’s kick return to show that an onside kick could have worked in that situation. However, the kicker just completely whiffed on the kick. He may have practiced it perfectly every time in practice, but whiffed in the game. Do you blame that on the special teams coach?

The onside kick was a great call.  Unfortunately we have a ST kicker/punter that has a history of mucking up ST plays so it was very ill-advised due to that.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Lyons in the Sea of Red. said:

DeWitt needs to go. If you can give me a reason to want Bruce Read back, you are beyond bad. 

See topic, "Biggest Concerns?"  It was my biggest concern of all.

Put the koolaid aside for just one moment.  Tell me your deepest darkest fears for the 2018 season.

I'll go first.  I really have concerns about special teams.

We didn't get to see anything from the spring game in terms of KR/PR.  Whoever is placekicker, has never kicked a point or FG in a D1 game.  Our place kickers missed a fair amount in the bit we did get to see.  And, I have to be honest, I'm not convinced Dewitt spends very much time with the kickers.  I did vote him my favorite a$$'t coach, so i want him to prove me wrong in the worst way on all of the above.  But, in watching UCF games from 2016, that unit stunk on ice, and I'm being kind.

The irony with our ST play is comments made by the staff and Tre Neal in the off season.  IIRC, they talked about wanting the best athletes on ST's. They wanted starters in there. If guys didn't want to participate on ST's it might happen their opportunities to play.  Looking for articles to link.  

I'm hoping that installing a new O, new D, changing the culture, roster flipping etc pushed ST's to the back burner this year.  Maybe a "just kick it deep", "punt towards the sideline" etc mentality.  It could also be a the realization that this staff really wasn't prepared for the style of play in the B1G or the athletes they would face.  This is Frost's 3rd season as a HC.  IIRC, Bo had some of the same issues transitioning to the B1G.  What we see in all phases of the play this season, might look a little different next season.  

Not trying to give to give anyone a pass, ST play has been horrific at times and has cost a game or 3 this season.......Firing someone now won't help.  We have some of the same issues next year, it might be worth evaluating seriously what the answer is.  Perhaps a shift in duties...

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, lo country said:

The irony with our ST play is comments made by the staff and Tre Neal in the off season.  IIRC, they talked about wanting the best athletes on ST's. They wanted starters in there. If guys didn't want to participate on ST's it might happen their opportunities to play.  Looking for articles to link.  

I'm hoping that installing a new O, new D, changing the culture, roster flipping etc pushed ST's to the back burner this year.  Maybe a "just kick it deep", "punt towards the sideline" etc mentality.  It could also be a the realization that this staff really wasn't prepared for the style of play in the B1G or the athletes they would face.  This is Frost's 3rd season as a HC.  IIRC, Bo had some of the same issues transitioning to the B1G.  What we see in all phases of the play this season, might look a little different next season.  

Not trying to give to give anyone a pass, ST play has been horrific at times and has cost a game or 3 this season.......Firing someone now won't help.  We have some of the same issues next year, it might be worth evaluating seriously what the answer is.  Perhaps a shift in duties...

This is my theory too, that they’ll feel they have the luxury to spend more time on it this coming off season when they couldn’t for this one. Mostly because I hope it’s true. 

• Fire 1
10 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

Well...whatever we are doing now is not working either. In fact, today, our special teams cost us a very important win. Doing the same exact thing and expecting a different result is not very smart.

I mean .... it's obvious they aren't doing the exact same thing.  We have a different punter and long snapper to say nothing of other personnel changes.

Plus there is actual, statistical evidence that our special teams have, in fact, gotten significantly better since the start of the season.

Feel free to ignore them if they don't fit your agenda.

47 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I would've called the onside kick on the last series if only to give Lightbourn another shot. I'm sure that was a fluke.

It would also be great if the name of the poster appeared next to the emojis in the corner so we can see which anonymous person is frowning at us.

I understand the trophy, laughing face, and plus one..The two rolly eyes and maybe teary eyed/crying not so sure.  I figure one  rolling eye emoji is the "whatever" or idiot one.  Not sure of the other.........