2018 Blackshirts vs. 2017 Blackshirts

knapplc

21 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

With this defense I think yards per play, takeaways, and points per opponent possession, are a better measure than overall yards against and total scoring defense. I’m not saying the 2018 D is much better (if at all) but with Frost’s offense vs. Riley’s offense not all comparisons are valid. 

No total scoring defense is the best measure because that's how many points they score to beat you.  There is no other "best" measure around the actual fact of the scoring of the other teams offense. 

1 hour ago, KingBlank said:

No total scoring defense is the best measure because that's how many points they score to beat you.  There is no other "best" measure around the actual fact of the scoring of the other teams offense. 

One team faces 60 plays and allows 28 points.

Another team faces 80 plays and allows 29 points.

Which team has the better defense?

• Plus1 2

I mean, it's pretty clear that the 2018 is getting better week by week, while the 2017 defense was abysmal throughout the season as the entire team started bad and continued to get worse. The defense is not spectacular but is improving. That's obvious to everyone, right?

• Plus1 2
37 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

One defense gives up 500 yards of offense but only allows 21 points because the other team fumbles twice in the red zone and misses a field goal.

Another defense gives up 200 yards of offense but allows 31 points because their offense turned it over deep in their own territory and the special teams gave up two long kick returns.

Which team has the better defense?

• Plus1 2

Another scenario. A few years ago Michigan State had a 9 minute drive in the B1G championship.

It’s theoretically possible for there to be a game with only 7 drives.

One team faces 3 drives and gives up 21 points.

Another team faces 8 drives and gives up 24 points.

Which defense is better?

Try all you want, you can’t just simplify how good a defense is based on points scored alone. There are other factors that matter because the defense also has offense and special teams counterparts that affect it.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2

9 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I mean, it's pretty clear that the 2018 is getting better week by week, while the 2017 defense was abysmal throughout the season as the entire team started bad and continued to get worse. The defense is not spectacular but is improving. That's obvious to everyone, right?

It seems like they are improving but Minny and BC don’t make for good measurement.  Having good games against Iowa and MSU (both currently ranked) would be confirmation.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

It seems like they are improving but Minny and BC don’t make for good measurement.  Having good games against Iowa and MSU (both currently ranked) would be confirmation.

OSU is good measurement. We looked tough out there until the end. We made it a rough day for Haskins. We made them punt. I'd say we are improving.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Nebfanatic said:

OSU is good measurement. We looked tough out there until the end. We made it a rough day for Haskins. We made them punt. I'd say we are improving.

It’s the “until the end” part that is troubling. OSU had 480 yards of offense but average 547.  Haskins’ 56% completion was also a good sign. I’d like to see more than 1 game against a good opponent.  If they can put up a dominating performance against this offense I’ll start believing

If our defense doesn’t come out ready to play, Illinois could put us in a hole quickly.

5 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

It’s the “until the end” part that is troubling. OSU had 480 yards of offense but average 547.  Haskins’ 56% completion was also a good sign. I’d like to see more than 1 game against a good opponent.  If they can put up a dominating performance against this offense I’ll start believing

If our defense doesn’t come out ready to play, Illinois could put us in a hole quickly.

They are bigger faster stronger, of course by the end they were going to take control.  But the fact is we are clearly getting better and its obvious by simply looking at the performance. Minnesota is terrible. I'm not afraid of Illinois in the slightest.