2018 Blackshirts vs. 2017 Blackshirts

knapplc

I'm seeing a lot of improvement from week one to today, but that's how it should be if you're fairly healthy. What made me want to rip my hair out is our failure to make stops on 3rd down, especially 3rd and long. I see major improvements there along with our ability to now force turnovers. What I think hurts us the most is missed assignments, tackling, and the ability to put together a good pass rush. Get that figured out and we probably look like a decent defense. What I don't understand is how we can play solid against OSU most of the game but struggle filling gaps against Illinois. Seems like our defense can show up in the bigger games but struggles in the games that we should win. Saw this last year from UCF most of the season until they played Auburn, then their D showed up to play. With that being said, I dont think we're going to see a high caliber defense anytime soon. Not really recruiting that well on D and not quite sure if our coaches have the ability to flip 3 stars and walk ons into big time playmakers. But as long as I see continuous improvements from year to year I'll be content.

20 minutes ago, Vegas said:

I'm seeing a lot of improvement from week one to today, but that's how it should be if you're fairly healthy. What made me want to rip my hair out is our failure to make stops on 3rd down, especially 3rd and long. I see major improvements there along with our ability to now force turnovers. What I think hurts us the most is missed assignments, tackling, and the ability to put together a good pass rush. Get that figured out and we probably look like a decent defense. What I don't understand is how we can play solid against OSU most of the game but struggle filling gaps against Illinois. Seems like our defense can show up in the bigger games but struggles in the games that we should win. Saw this last year from UCF most of the season until they played Auburn, then their D showed up to play. With that being said, I dont think we're going to see a high caliber defense anytime soon. Not really recruiting that well on D and not quite sure if our coaches have the ability to flip 3 stars and walk ons into big time playmakers. But as long as I see continuous improvements from year to year I'll be content.

QB who can run add to our defensive problems. I think that’s why you saw that difference from OSU to Ill.  It’s more STRAIN

• Fire 1
5 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

QB who can run add to our defensive problems. I think that’s why you saw that difference from OSU to Ill.  It’s more STRAIN

And I was thinking that too, but it seemed as though we struggled more closing those gaps last Saturday then some other teams this year with mobile qb's. But that could be just me.

13 hours ago, Redux said:

You keep trying to push the idea that Defense isn't affected by the Offense, then try to point to scoreboard.  It's a pretty weak argument and a bad look for someone preaching numbers and statistics.

I don't even understand how you have construed a comment I made which literally makes no mention of other parts of the game.  My arguement has nothing to with punts or other defenses scoring and the total "defensive" points to change that.  It's purely about our defense giving up points, which in fact in how the game is scored from its inception is the most important part of that side of the ball.  Just offense is about scoring and special teams is about field position.   Football is massively more complicated game when it is played and scored, but the actual defense on the field at the time, giving up points per game will always be the defining stat.  Defense scoring numbers should not in any argument about defense include the total of the game if there is scoring by interception ect.

13 hours ago, Redux said:

So the offensive pacing and the special teams field position don't directly affect defensive performance?

Of course it does.  This is why Chinander  wants 22 guys ready to go at all times on defense.  When playing with a fast up tempo offense, the defense plays more snaps.  We all know the depth just isn't there.  It has been magnified by the fast striking offense.  We're still three to four years away from knowing what a Chinander coached defense here looks like.  It's this same lack of depth that has caused our special teams play to be rather poor.  As we come to an end of the season and head into next season, the defense is what has me the most excited to watch and monitor progress. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1