2018 Blackshirts vs. 2017 Blackshirts

knapplc

1 hour ago, Redux said:

We held Illinois scoreless in the 3rd.  The only reason they got another 14 was due to an awful fumble on our side of the field by the 2nd team offense during mop up duty.  That fired them up enough and we had the game won and didn't exactly have to burn the extra effort to stop them.  We still should and could have stopped them, but look what happened on our last interception.

The first quarter was rough. We had a hard time stopping Bush. But really after that the defense was pretty solid. After the first quarter they only scored 7 points until we subbed Bunch in.

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

So allowing 29 points is better then allowing 28? 

We’ve been over this in the topic already. No, but the defense that allows 29 can be better than the one that allows 28.

Defense does not happen in a vacuum. A team that scores 30 and allows 29 is better than a team that scores 27 and allows 28. And if the team that scored 30 was able to score more because of their fast paced offense and due to this their defense faced more plays, that defense was better than the one that allowed 28 because they allowed less points per play. 

• Plus1 1

Our defense is going to struggle most years paired with this offense.  It just has to do enough to maintain a comfortable lead and win games.  I don't care for it, I yearn for QB pressure and turnovers so I'm not thrilled Chinander is our guy for the foreseeable future.  That said, I am seeing a lot of effort to strip the ball and that's something we haven't done in quite a while.  And we are getting interceptions.

13 minutes ago, Redux said:

Our defense is going to struggle most years paired with this offense.  It just has to do enough to maintain a comfortable lead and win games.  I don't care for it, I yearn for QB pressure and turnovers so I'm not thrilled Chinander is our guy for the foreseeable future.  That said, I am seeing a lot of effort to strip the ball and that's something we haven't done in quite a while.  And we are getting interceptions.

Chinander has a lot of questions still, but from what I've seen, he's a big believer in getting pressure and forcing turnovers.

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

Seeing the forced turnovers as the year goes.  Not as much on the pressure side.

We need some athletes at pass rusher and Safety, we're blitzing more late in the year but he still doesn't trust the back end to hold up. We also don't have a guy who can just go get the quarterback when we rush 4 - need one of those.

I think Chinander's style can work, but I do worry about it against run heavy teams. It's hard to count on fumbles, and if you don't stop them enough to force them to throw the pressure is meaningless. MSU and Iowa are uncharacteristically bad at running the ball this year, so it's a good chance for the D to prove they can stop the run against someone.

5 minutes ago, Redux said:

Seeing the forced turnovers as the year goes.  Not as much on the pressure side.

We need better guys for that. He is trying, he brings blitzes from all over but guys aren't getting there. We are doing way better than last year in this department, not that that is saying much. It will take time.

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

We need better guys for that. He is trying, he brings blitzes from all over but guys aren't getting there. We are doing way better than last year in this department, not that that is saying much. It will take time.

It doesn’t appear that our DL and blitzers are well coordinated. When we blitz the DL hasn’t pushed in a way to open up gaps for the blitzer so they end up running into the loving arms of an OL.

• Plus1 1

Sure the sky isn't falling.  But the defense hasn't improved as a whole at all this season.  That should be the concern.  

94th in 3rd down conversion

95th in 4th down conversion ---60%

101st in allowing 1st Downs

80th in Red Zone Defense--85%

90th in Rushing Defense

101st in Passing Defense

103rd in Scoring Defense

107th in Total Defense

Some "bright spots"

45th Passing Efficiency Defense

47th in Team Sacks

28th in Forced Turnovers

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Sure the sky isn't falling.  But the defense hasn't improved as a whole at all this season.  That should be the concern.  

94th in 3rd down conversion

95th in 4th down conversion ---60%

101st in allowing 1st Downs

80th in Red Zone Defense--85%

90th in Rushing Defense

101st in Passing Defense

103rd in Scoring Defense

107th in Total Defense

Some "bright spots"

47th in Team Sacks

28th in Forced Turnovers

To pick one stat out, we are tied for #52 in opponent 4th down conversion % over the last 3 games. It's pretty important in year 1 to look at improvement over time.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

94th in 3rd down conversion - 81st

95th in 4th down conversion ---60% - 68th

101st in allowing 1st Downs - 95th (doesn't account for pace-of-play)

80th in Red Zone Defense--85% - 57th

90th in Rushing Defense - 

101st in Passing Defense - 71st (doesn't account for pace-of-play)

103rd in Scoring Defense - 82nd (doesn't account for pace-of-play)

107th in Total Defense

Some "bright spots"

47th in Team Sacks

28th in Forced Turnovers

Added (bolded) last three games

#Improvement