Obligatory "Is Iowa a Rival" Thread

Mavric

Rivalry Week?  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

What will you take in the Over/under of Feb. 1st before he names an OC?  I wonder if he will just find a version of Brian he can control?

I am thinking the under at this rate.  Kirk seems like he is upset about having to let Brian go, probably thought it was fine winning 9/10 games like they do.  I suspect he wants an OC in there that will change very little.  He wants to play keep away, keep his defense off the field and play field position.  The fans want something more modern/exciting but Kirk doesn't want any part of it.   Part of me even wonders if this is a bit of a stand off between him and the AD over the whole thing. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

What will you take in the Over/under of Feb. 1st before he names an OC?  I wonder if he will just find a version of Brian he can control?

I've heard they're interested in some guy name Frian Berentz. A real up and comer with just the "offense" that papa Kirk wants.

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • Worth a Look 1

Joe Philbin was the other name thrown around IIRC, but he's old and I don't think he's called plays since the 90s. What they should do is try to convince a young Rams or 49ers assistant to take the job - their scheme is in that ballpark, if they had someone who had an ounce of creativity and playcalling acumen they could be average pretty quickly.

Bigger problem is recruiting, which is why I think they dodged a bullet with Chryst turning them down. He's be great for the Xs and Os, but they need to get some skill talent and he could not care less about recruiting. If they hire someone young with new ideas, I don't think it's a tough sell to bring in respectable backs and receivers. It's a Big Ten school with no competition for touches. But I don't think Ferentz will hire young, and the old creative guys are experienced enough to see they will be boxed in and probably be overruled by Kirk on guys they want to offer. 

• TBH 2
2 minutes ago, OmahaPlaya said:

Kirk needs to either evolve or retire already cause otherwise the interim or perm AD will show him the door soon when they get out paced by stronger more modern teams in terms of scheme.

No…I’m fine with him staying right there and not changing. He’s got another good ten years in him. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No…I’m fine with him staying right there and not changing. He’s got another good ten years in him. 

Well we hope he sticks around that long and nothing gets changed and the fans don't get restless but if Nebraska's offense turns into Scoring Explosion 2.0 in this next season the heat will be on him hardcore.