Chinander by the numbers

6 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The offense is not perfect but has shown a lot of improvement all year. Special teams got better. I think every position group over all progressed all season offense and defense. So the staff as a whole is great- I just question chinander is all. UCF boards trashed him while he was there- they were sad to lose everyone but him. So this isn’t a new thing to question his scheme 

I agree, and I also trust Frost to fire him if necessary in the future but now is not the time and next year probably isn't either unless we play like a$$ again. I expect us to improve, because that's what we did from September to November of this season.

40 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

They also switched away from 3-4 to 4-3. That shouldn’t be glossed over. Changed scheme from what they had been coached to do for a few years. Probably don’t have a roster of 4-3 guys.

UCF ran a 4-3 prior to Frost getting there. So only 2 classes recruited for a 3-4.

And if that’s your arguement then why not give Chin credit for improving UCF’s scoring D 68 spots in his first year? Especially considering Chin just took over the worst Nebraska defense in recent memory and is the 3rd DC in 3 years?

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Are we going to gloss over the fact the UCF roster is stocked with 3-4 players and switched to a 4-3 this year and still improved. So switched schemes- lost some of their best players but played less explosive offenses. Call that a wash. Still got better 

So when Chin took over a 4-3 Defense his first year and switched to a 3-4 and the defense improved tremendously was he a good DC that year? Then he improved it again the next year. 

So many factors go into that ranking that using one year of rankings to “prove” anything is silly. You could say Chin has been a DC for 3 years and has improved upon his previous defense every year he has coached using that same stat. 

Also, Randy Shannon is a damn good DC. I would trade Chin for him tomorrow. He’s a Broyles winner with 20+ years of experience at the college and pro level. So him improving a defense doesn’t really surprise me at all. 

It it will get sorted out one way or another. The defense we currently have won’t be allowed to continue long term. The people in charge will see to that. 

I am one of those who believes that a good coach does not need more than a year to turn things around. Frost inherits a horrible culture from Mike Reily, who did immense damage in three years and should be banned from ever stepping foot in Nebraska, yet Frost was able to change the culture and make this team a fighter. Our record is 4-8 not because of Frost but because of Chin who could not find a way to coach these guys well. We lost several close games that we could have won if chin had done his job. We simply could not stop opposing teams from imposing their will on us.

Now, I am not calling for his head and I do not think anyone should be fired after the first year, however, I am willing to bet good money that chinander is who he is and he is not going to change no matter how many years you give him. We will be discussing the same exact issues next year and our defense will be our Achilles heal. If after 12 games on the job, you can stop Sargent from Iowa when you knew very well that he is their only running back threat, then you are NOT a good coach. In fact, Iowa only had one good rushing game in their previous games until they played us and they almost had two guys hit 100 rushing yards with one of them hitting 147 yards. This was the story line in every game this season. What good is a coach who can’t prepare for the one player who can hurt you. Let us face it, Jonathan Taylor had his best game against us, so did Sargent and all the other running backs who played against us. Iowa kept Illinois scoreless yet Illinois running backs and QB ran all over us.

Bottom line, even though chinander will be our coach next year, mark my words, he will not be any better. A zebra can’t change its stripes much like chinander can’t become a juggernaut defensive guru. Nevertheless, we will have to give him a second year before we learn our lesson because God forbid we upset the many experts on this board who honestly believe that the players are to blame and not the coach.

15 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I am one of those who believes that a good coach does not need more than a year to turn things around. Frost inherits a horrible culture from Mike Reily, who did immense damage in three years and should be banned from ever stepping foot in Nebraska, yet Frost was able to change the culture and make this team a fighter. Our record is 4-8 not because of Frost but because of Chin who could not find a way to coach these guys well. We lost several close games that we could have won if chin had done his job. We simply could not stop opposing teams from imposing their will on us.

Now, I am not calling for his head and I do not think anyone should be fired after the first year, however, I am willing to bet good money that chinander is who he is and he is not going to change no matter how many years you give him. We will be discussing the same exact issues next year and our defense will be our Achilles heal. If after 12 games on the job, you can stop Sargent from Iowa when you knew very well that he is their only running back threat, then you are NOT a good coach. In fact, Iowa only had one good rushing game in their previous games until they played us and they almost had two guys hit 100 rushing yards with one of them hitting 147 yards. This was the story line in every game this season. What good is a coach who can’t prepare for the one player who can hurt you. Let us face it, Jonathan Taylor had his best game against us, so did Sargent and all the other running backs who played against us. Iowa kept Illinois scoreless yet Illinois running backs and QB ran all over us.

Bottom line, even though chinander will be our coach next year, mark my words, he will not be any better. A zebra can’t change its stripes much like chinander can’t become a juggernaut defensive guru. Nevertheless, we will have to give him a second year before we learn our lesson because God forbid we upset the many experts on this board who honestly believe that the players are to blame and not the coach.

We held 3 of our last 5 B1G opponents below their average points scored. Illinois scored 8.1 points more than their average against us but that included scores against non starters, iirc. Minnesota scored 0.3 more points than their average against us. 1st half of the season we were pretty awful. 2nd half of the season, we were a below average defense; not good enough, but a big improvement in almost every stat. I'm willing to bet we had one of the most improved defenses in the country from game 1 to game 12. If you think Chinander won't get any better then I just don't think you paid attention to what happened during this season.

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

We held 3 of our last 5 B1G opponents below their average points scored. Illinois scored 8.1 points more than their average against us but that included scores against non starters, iirc. Minnesota scored 0.3 more points than their average against us. 1st half of the season we were pretty awful. 2nd half of the season, we were a below average defense; not good enough, but a big improvement in almost every stat. I'm willing to bet we had one of the most improved defenses in the country from game 1 to game 12. If you think Chinander won't get any better then I just don't think you paid attention to what happened during this season.

We consistently allowed every opposing running back to have the game of their season against us. So, no, I do not think this is enough. Iowa had a plan to stop Ozigbo and they did. We had no plan against Sargent who beat us and was a one man recking crew. 

You also thought that we can easily beat Iowa when I pointed out that beating them in their own backyard on senior day will require a complete game on our end, which we did not do. So, forgive me if I refuse to believe that Chinander will be our long term solution. Again, I am more than happy to give the guy a second year but my gut feeling is that we will continue to debate his ability to come up with game plans that stop opposing teams and their best players.

It's Year Zero.  The trajectory of this 4-8 team is quite different than last year's 4-8 team.  I'm excited about next year and I'm not going to worry about Chinander until the year after next at the earliest.  That defense needs an infusion of talent and speed.  Their improvement over the year was promising.  Go into the offseason on a high, fellas.  Things have turned around for the good.  

54 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

You also thought that we can easily beat Iowa when I pointed out that beating them in their own backyard on senior day will require a complete game on our end, which we did not do.

Wrong. You're making things up now. There's a thing called the quote feature whereby people can see what was actually said. You should keep that in mind when you say someone thought or said something. I don't believe I thought (or said) we'd easily beat Iowa anywhere, and what I actually said in response to you is below. And you didn't merely say it would "require a complete game." You said:

On 11/22/2018 at 4:14 PM, huskerfan74 said:

We must have the game of the year if we are to beat IOWA at their own backyard on senior day.

On 11/22/2018 at 4:55 PM, Moiraine said:

Disagree.

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Wrong. You're making things up now. There's a thing called the quote feature whereby people can see what was actually said. You should keep that in mind when you say someone thought or said something. I don't believe I thought (or said) we'd easily beat Iowa anywhere, and what I actually said in response to you is below. And you didn't merely say it would "require a complete game." You said:

Now you are simply arguing semantics. It is ok to be wrong. We all are wrong at some point. For example, I pray to God that I am wrong about Chinander because I love my Huskers and want them to dominate the BIG more than I want to be right. Honest to God, I want nothing but for us to go undefeated next year and stick it to every BIG team and the BIG cheating zebras. For that to happen Chinanader needs to do some major work. Let us see if he can.

22 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Now you are simply arguing semantics. It is ok to be wrong. We all are wrong at some point. For example, I pray to God that I am wrong about Chinander because I love my Huskers and want them to dominate the BIG more than I want to be right. Honest to God, I want nothing but for us to go undefeated next year and stick it to every BIG team and the BIG cheating zebras. For that to happen Chinanader needs to do some major work. Let us see if he can.

I don't think you understand semantics. When you use a superlative statement like "they're the best team ever, it'd be impossible to beat them," changing it to "we won't beat them unless we play really well" is a material difference. This is similar to what you did when you pretended to have only said winning would "require a complete game." You changed it to something less superlative to make yourself seem more reasonable and then put words into my mouth based on a 1 word reply.

I didn't think we would beat Iowa easily. I thought you were being over the top making them out to be some juggernaut and implying it'd take a perfect game to beat them.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

Now, I am not calling for his head and I do not think anyone should be fired after the first year 

Nevertheless, we will have to give him a second year before we learn our lesson because God forbid we upset the many experts on this board who honestly believe that the players are to blame and not the coach.

Sooooo. Do you think he deserves a second year or not. Because these statements sound pretty contradictory. Do you really only believe he should stay around a second year for the benefit of message board posters? Or do you believe your first statement that no one should be fired in their first year?

Just own it guys. If you want him fired go ahead be that guy. It’s just a message board. Not like it really matters. Watching you guys tie yourself in knots posting stuff about Chin every week yet “not calling for his head”, while amusing is getting repetitive as hell. If you truly believe he’s terrible and can not get better why not just say fire him and be done with it? Then if he is fired in two years you can unveil your post from 2018 and share in the lavish riches of internet glory. Those riches are not available to hedgers! Stop hedging!!! Go full maniac!!!

• Plus1 2