CFB Power Brokers Discussing Expansion Of CFP To 8

seaofred92

If an undefeated UCF team doesn't have a chance to play for the championship, they aren't Division I. So stop pretending and break Division I to 64 teams in 16 team conferences with an 8 team playoff.  Make the rest D1A and let them play a championship.

Screw independents. They don't exist in D1.

• Plus1 2
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:01 AM, 4skers89 said:

If expanded to 8 there will be 3 SEC teams fairly regularly. The two that played in the SEC championship game and a 1 loss Alabama team.

When you place the goal post here, you concede that the SEC always gets a 2nd team at-large.  Throw in a slot for the G5 and there are really only 2 empty slots for non-champions to compete for.  If you grant any reasonably competent ND team will take 1 often, then many years there is only one slot for non conf-champions to play for.  

45 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

When you place the goal post here, you concede that the SEC always gets a 2nd team at-large.  Throw in a slot for the G5 and there are really only 2 empty slots for non-champions to compete for.  If you grant any reasonably competent ND team will take 1 often, then many years there is only one slot for non conf-champions to play for.  

You are giving Notre Dame too much credit here IMO.  I see them probably only qualifying twice in a decade at most, three times would be high water mark.  They aren't at the level of Alabama, Ohio State, closer to a team like Washington.  Plus they usually play a difficult schedule.  I also expect there to be a qualifier for a G5 and some years there may not be a team that meets the metric.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I'm all for some form of expanded playoff, but if "reasonably competent" is the standard for getting in, then perhaps the expansion would be going a tad too far.

6 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I’m not sure expansion to 8 will be the 5 P5 champions and 3 at large. It could be best 8 teams by selection committee. 2 losses by Notre Dame could easily keep you out if it were P5 champs and three selected. 2 SEC could get in the remaining 3 slots fairly regularly if selection is by perceived best.

7 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Sounds good to me, but I doubt ND will get in too often.

12 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

You are giving Notre Dame too much credit here IMO.  I see them probably only qualifying twice in a decade at most, three times would be high water mark.  They aren't at the level of Alabama, Ohio State, closer to a team like Washington.  Plus they usually play a difficult schedule.  I also expect there to be a qualifier for a G5 and some years there may not be a team that meets the metric.

Yes but you move the goalposts for ND if you expand the playoff to 8.  Right now we have to rank higher than 2 conference champs.  In an 8 team playoff ND is weighed against five non-champions, usually 2nd in conference, for 3 open slots.  That's like giftwrapping a 10-2 ND team.  My opinion has always been that is easier for ND to make the playoff in an expansion scenario.

But, even that's not worth sacrificing the season, so I still oppose it. 

55 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Yes but you move the goalposts for ND if you expand the playoff to 8.  Right now we have to rank higher than 2 conference champs.  In an 8 team playoff ND is weighed against five non-champions, usually 2nd in conference, for 3 open slots.  That's like giftwrapping a 10-2 ND team.  My opinion has always been that is easier for ND to make the playoff in an expansion scenario.

But, even that's not worth sacrificing the season, so I still oppose it. 

And Notre Dame has been 10-2 or better (regular season) exactly 3 times in the past 12 years and 5 times in the past 25 years.  

So apparently they're not "reasonably competent" all that often.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

And Notre Dame has been 10-2 or better (regular season) exactly 3 times in the past 12 years and 5 times in the past 25 years.  

I would agree and I would also say it's not a "slam dunk" they would make it in with two losses as an Independent.  Depends on the schedule and whether they do away with the conference championship games to make the games played less of a factor.  One loss or less for the Irish?  Sure I'd buy that.  I think the odds go up for inclusion with two losses if they would join the ACC fully.

24 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I would agree and I would also say it's not a "slam dunk" they would make it in with two losses as an Independent.  Depends on the schedule and whether they do away with the conference championship games to make the games played less of a factor.  One loss or less for the Irish?  Sure I'd buy that.  I think the odds go up for inclusion with two losses if they would join the ACC fully.

I think Georgia and definitely OSU would've made it over a 10-2 Notre Dame this season.

6 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

you do not think ND will often get the benefit of the doubt?   Even in a place like Huskerboard the token Irishman receives 5 quotes overnight :xmas :)

I don't think ND will go 10-2 or better all that often. And apparently they haven't done it often over the last 25 years either:

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

Good, no 2 loss team deserves national title shots outside of rare screwy years like 2007. 

Another reason to oppose playoff expansion is once the benchmark was set at 10 wins, ND would be incentivized to schedule like the SEC.  

2 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Good, no 2 loss team deserves national title shots outside of rare screwy years like 2007. 

Another reason to oppose playoff expansion is once the benchmark was set at 10 wins, ND would be incentivized to schedule like the SEC.  

Which would make it further unlikely that ND would be regularly in contention for it.

• Plus1 1