CFB Power Brokers Discussing Expansion Of CFP To 8

seaofred92

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

But all the games don't count for something, only a tiny fraction of them do. And as the season goes on, fewer and fewer games have playoff implications.

The way to combat this is to have more teams in the playoff, but then the games individually mean less because so many teams get into the playoff and the playoffs themselves become very large with a whole lot of games. It's why I haven't watched any regular season basketball, hockey, or baseball in many years - I just wait and watch the playoffs. And even then I don't usually watch the first few rounds because the tournament is so many games.

There's just no way to keep interest in the regular season as high once there's a playoff.

Again, basketball and other sports have so many more games, so each one individually doesn't mean a whole lot.

How do you feel about the NFL? Do you have no interest in the regular season? There were several games today with playoff implications. The top teams are fighting for home field advantage, many others simply fighting for their lives.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

Again, basketball and other sports have so many more games, so each one individually doesn't mean a whole lot.

How do you feel about the NFL? Do you have no interest in the regular season? There were several games today with playoff implications. The top teams are fighting for home field advantage, many others simply fighting for their lives.

Good example, I don't watch much of the NFL until the last week or two and then only the games with playoff implications.

• Plus1 2
On 12/13/2018 at 11:09 PM, Dr. Strangelove said:

Expanding to 8 with transparent guidelines for rankings easily understood is important. 

If they go to 8 with a committee approach, I think it's a disaster. 

I don't see how it would be worse than now, less controversy in dealing with who gets in when it comes to 8 vs 9 rather than 4 vs 5. 

The thing with 4 is in any given season you could potentially have 6 teams with the same record making an argument (5 power 5 champs and ND). Not that it ever happens, but what do you do in a year where you have 6 undefeated football teams? On top of this you have the Utah/Boise/UCF argument. These teams deserve a path. Let it play out on the field and lets not just shut them out of any chance of a national title.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The SEC will never be for it. They are guaranteed 1 spot and get 2 spots half the time? 40%?

:yeah  Hopefully if they expand to 8 teams they include a rule that you can't have more than 2 per conference or else the $E¢ will get 3 or 4 each year :lol:

1 hour ago, GSG said:

:yeah  Hopefully if they expand to 8 teams they include a rule that you can't have more than 2 per conference or else the $E¢ will get 3 or 4 each year :lol:

If expanded to 8 there will be 3 SEC teams fairly regularly. The two that played in the SEC championship game and a 1 loss Alabama team.

54 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

If expanded to 8 there will be 3 SEC teams fairly regularly. The two that played in the SEC championship game and a 1 loss Alabama team.

Possibly, we saw the propaganda machine front and center from Peter Burns, Paul Finebaum, and Clay Travis after UGA lost.  Maybe the Big Ten needs to start doing that with their talking hair?  At any rate if 8 means that lowest SEC seed like LSU or Florida has to travel to South Bend, Indiana or Ann Arbor, Michigan in a hypothetical December game it is going to be great theater.  SEC wonks claiming it is the strongest conference in the land crying crocodile tears over the weather will never not be funny.

4 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Possibly, we saw the propaganda machine front and center from Peter Burns, Paul Finebaum, and Clay Travis after UGA lost.  Maybe the Big Ten needs to start doing that with their talking hair?  At any rate if 8 means that lowest SEC seed like LSU or Florida has to travel to South Bend, Indiana or Ann Arbor, Michigan in a hypothetical December game it is going to be great theater.  SEC wonks claiming it is the strongest conference in the land crying crocodile tears over the weather will never not be funny.

I think expanding the playoffs is a knee jerk reaction to fixing certain situations whenever it benefits the person holding that view.. B1G is left out 2 years in a  row so Delaney now wants it expanded.  UCF is left out so they want it expanded.  I believe the committee does a good job selecting the top 4 teams and expanding the playoff isn't necessary.  There could be some upsets in the playoffs but it's more likely that the top 4 teams will be battling it out to get into the championship game with an expansion.  It won't be a surprise when Alabama and Clemson play this year for the championship and I don't see OSU, UCF, Michigan or Georgia advancing too far in an expanded playoff.  An expansion will also create unanticipated situations that people will get upset about.  Rematches such as Georgia-Alabama or OSU-Michigan aren't compelling nor are games such as Alabama and some outmatched G5 team that might sneak in.  Nobody will be happy when 3 or 4 SEC teams get into the playoffs and two SEC teams play in the championship game.  What if OSU or Michigan tank their game to avoid playing in the CCG knowing that their resume is good enough to still make an expanded playoff?  I like the 4 team playoff because 1 loss can keep a team out.  Most OSU fans are probably OK with being left out and had Oklahoma been left out most of their fans would be OK with it realizing their team has a major deficiency.  An 8 team playoff would probably just shift the squabbling over who should get in from 1 loss teams to which 2 loss teams are most deserving.  Of course the solution to that is expand to 16 teams.  Let's at least stick with the 4 team playoff for a while to see how well it's working.  If the top 1 or 2 ranked teams consistently win the championship then a 4 team playoff is probably sufficient.

• Plus1 3