Dedrick Mills - LOI Signed

• 2 weeks later...

based on news feeds, he may not join NU, has three failure to appear warrants out for him (at one point).  two in GA and one in Kansas.  He was released from GA Tech for failing three drug tests (pot) over 20 months.  I am all for giving a young man a help up.  however I wonder if he would be a distraction in the locker room?  Another Randy Gregory?

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/husker-commit-mills-receives-probation-in-georgia-for-missing-court/article_d887e419-a680-54af-bbd4-6a40ad3d4eff.amp.html

1 minute ago, San Diego Husker said:

based on news feeds, he may not join NU, has three failure to appear warrants out for him (at one point).  two in GA and one in Kansas.  He was released from GA Tech for failing three drug tests (pot) over 20 months.  I am all for giving a young man a help up.  however I wonder if he would be a distraction in the locker room?  Another Randy Gregory?

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/husker-commit-mills-receives-probation-in-georgia-for-missing-court/article_d887e419-a680-54af-bbd4-6a40ad3d4eff.amp.html

I would take another Randy Gregory again in a heartbeat. All Randy did was like to smoke pot. He wasn’t a danger to others and by all accounts well liked by his teammates. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
15 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I probably shouldn't chime in with this but based on this information and the one game I saw him play in, I'm not going to be too broke up if it doesn't work out.  Not impressed, on the field or off of it 

What was it about that one game? Seems like he put up good numbers this year and his freshman year at tech.

29 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

What was it about that one game? Seems like he put up good numbers this year and his freshman year at tech.

IDK, he just didn't stand out like I would expect the #1 Juco RB to stand out. To be fair, his offensive line seemed to be severely overmatched against East Mississippi, so I can't hold him fully accountable. I probably went into it expecting too much which may be tainting my impression. But, imo, he didn't look big enough and it just struck me as surprising that he was the #1 Juco. And they leaned heavily on the running game because his QB couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. They mentioned something to the effect, on a pass play in the 3rd quarter, that it was only his 20th attempt (or completion) all year. I guess I got the immediate impression that if they run the ball 98% of time, of course their featured back may have some gawdy numbers. Like I said I probably shouldn't have chimed in because I don't know much about him or that level of play, but I was pretty disappointed.

BTW, I'm glad somebody finds it funny that I wasn't impressed with him in their natl championship game. I hope I don't know what I'm talking about if he's headed our way.

9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

IDK, he just didn't stand out like I would expect the #1 Juco RB to stand out. To be fair, his offensive line seemed to be severely overmatched against East Mississippi, so I can't hold him fully accountable. I probably went into it expecting too much which may be tainting my impression. But, imo, he didn't look big enough and it just struck me as surprising that he was the #1 Juco. And they leaned heavily on the running game because his QB couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. They mentioned something to the effect, on a pass play in the 3rd quarter, that it was only his 20th attempt (or completion) all year. I guess I got the immediate impression that if they run the ball 98% of time, of course their featured back may have some gawdy numbers. Like I said I probably shouldn't have chimed in because I don't know much about him or that level of play, but I was pretty disappointed.

BTW, I'm glad somebody finds it funny that I wasn't impressed with him in their natl championship game. I hope I don't know what I'm talking about if he's headed our way.

I watched that game too, but couldn't take much away from it. Their QB was horrible and the defense knew it. They loaded the box with 9-10 players. The safeties were playing with the linebacker's. The RB's didn't stand a chance to showcase their talent. Hard to tell how good he is from that game.

46 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

I watched that game too, but couldn't take much away from it. Their QB was horrible and the defense knew it. They loaded the box with 9-10 players. The safeties were playing with the linebacker's. The RB's didn't stand a chance to showcase their talent. Hard to tell how good he is from that game.

I agree. It was all defense and a complete lack of GCCC being able or willing to do anything other than run between the tackles against those 9 or 10 guys in the box. Not sure if I was more disappointed that Mills was unable to showcase his apparent talent or that the supposed great coach Sims didn't or wouldn't try anything else. 

15 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

We started this year with another “#1 juco RB” and that didn’t go well. 

I think Mills could be good. But, that label sometimes doesn’t mean much. 

On 12/31/2018 at 8:45 PM, JJ Husker said:

Its JUCO ball, half the time those guys arent even on the same page.  Plus, didnt their head coach leave?

• Mavric changed the title to Dedrick Mills - LOI Signed