Sign in to follow this  
knapplc

Hank Bounds Stepping Down

After reading the World Herold article sounds like he is fed up with the state and wants to move back closer to family.

https://www.omaha.com/news/plus/hank-bounds-leaving-role-as-university-of-nebraska-president/article_afcfb550-96e4-5dc6-b8fc-6a7474ff5ed7.html

Edit: And he basically got slapped in the face when he was given a contract extension thru 2023 with NO RAISE. 

I'd go elsewhere too.

• Plus1 5

8 minutes ago, Lyons in the Sea of Red. said:

I really hope this has absolutely nothing to do with anything in the athletic department. 

Big blow to the university. 

My first thought is this is related to the "Discontent in the AD" rumors.  But as you said, hopefully not.

9 minutes ago, Lyons in the Sea of Red. said:

I really hope this has absolutely nothing to do with anything in the athletic department. 

While Bounds has been living in Lincoln, he oversees the entire University of Nebraska system, not just UNL.  Yes, he does have input on NU Athletic Department business, I don't think it's AD related.

• Plus1 1

Just now, RedSavage said:

My first thought is this is related to the "Discontent in the AD" rumors

That's what my gut tells me too. Could be totally unrelated. But in my interactions with Bounds he has always came across as a genuine man who wouldn't budge an inch in the arena of integrity. 

That, along with the interesting timing regarding our hoops situation and the past few weeks, it doesn't look great. 

Then again, it could just be he's ready to move on. 

People need to remember:

Hank Bounds - President for the entire University of Nebraska system (Lincoln, Omaha, Kearney)

Ronnie Green - Chancellor for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln

• Plus1 6

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

People need to remember:

Hank Bounds - President for the entire University of Nebraska system (Lincoln, Omaha, Kearney)

And Brandon Walsh - President of the student body.

• Plus1 2

Just now, teachercd said:

And Brandon Walsh - President of the student body.

As a sophomore!!!  And he lost the election as an incumbent his Junior year.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lyons in the Sea of Red. said:

That's what my gut tells me too. Could be totally unrelated. But in my interactions with Bounds he has always came across as a genuine man who wouldn't budge an inch in the arena of integrity. 

That, along with the interesting timing regarding our hoops situation and the past few weeks, it doesn't look great. 

Then again, it could just be he's ready to move on. 

Very odd timing. I'm sure he could have waited until after the basketball situation was resolved to announce this. Seems intentional to do on the day many thought a basketball coach would be let go.

Maybe he was a big Miles fan and disagrees with the change?

• Haha 1

Just now, Sker4Ever said:

Very odd timing. I'm sure he could have waited until after the basketball situation was resolved to announce this. Seems intentional to do on the day many thought a basketball coach would be let go.

Maybe he was a big Miles fan and disagrees with the change?

Do you really think the basketball coach being fired would have an impact on the job of the entire University of Nebraska President?

• Plus1 3

Do you really think the basketball coach being fired would have an impact on the job of the entire University of Nebraska President?

Not saying this is why he's leaving but maybe as to why the announcement came when it did.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm guessing that could be just part of it. There has been smoke with some of Moos antics. And it's been rumored that the support for him is pretty divided at the upper levels of administration/donors. 

Without having any insight into the situation, I could see whatever is going on around the basketball decision be the straw that broke the camels back for Bounds. 

Just now, SouthLincoln Husker said:

He looks like he has aged 10 years from last year's to this year's picture.  I would image that there is a lot of stress in his job.

It has to suck dealing with the State trying to get funding for the University system, plus I am sure the Board of Regents has people that are pain in the a$$.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Agreed. I dont think there is anything here to do with the athletic department. Read the article from the World-Herald. To me the contract extension in June with no raise after he had been pleading with the state to provide more financial support to the colleges is likely the nail in the coffin. 

Just imagine you were in a job where you had by all accounts gone above and beyond expectations and had gotten several situations resolved and moving in the right direction. Then come year end review time you get a pat on the back and a "hey we are willing to keep you around". 

• Plus1 2

It has to suck dealing with the State trying to get funding for the University system, plus I am sure the Board of Regents has people that are pain in the a$$.

He is southern guy and this winter might have pushed him over the edge.

• Plus1 4

I would imagine his decision has a lot to do with the aggressively contentious nature of the relationship some state senators have with the University.

• Plus1 8
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lyons in the Sea of Red. said:

I'm guessing that could be just part of it. There has been smoke with some of Moos antics. And it's been rumored that the support for him is pretty divided at the upper levels of administration/donors. 

Without having any insight into the situation, I could see whatever is going on around the basketball decision be the straw that broke the camels back for Bounds. 

Bounds is probably not very involved with the basketball decision.  He is leaving that to Ronnie Green and Bill Moos, because they actually work for the UNL.

• Plus1 2

They say retirements come in threes.

First it was Gronk.

Now it's Hank Bounds.

Who's next?

Just now, knapplc said:

First it was Gronk.

Now it's Hank Bounds.

Who's next?

Tim Miles...

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Lyons in the Sea of Red. said:

Not everything that happens in administration is about the AD department. 

There is is only a small chance this has to do with anything athletic. 

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree with this so much.  Bounds probably liked getting involved with the Athletic Department because he liked sports.  But, he was probably sick of dealing with the State Senate and the Board of Regents, that's why he is stepping down.

As long as Ronnie Green sticks around, I don't see the NU Athletic Department being impacted by this.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm fully aware Bounds has responsibilities that rest higher in level of importance than athletics. 

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Maybe Bounds really just wants to spend more time with his wife and kids:dunno

It is never that.

• Haha 1

Not that (supposedly) firing and hiring a basketball coach isn't a big deal (it is) but I'd be surprised if that was the main reason for this.

Makes me wonder what else is going on.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, CheeseHusker said:

Not that (supposedly) firing and hiring a basketball coach isn't a big deal (it is) but I'd be surprised if that was the main reason for this.

Makes me wonder what else is going on.

He is sick of dealing with the budget cuts from the State and pushing how important the University of Nebraska system is for the residents of the State.  Wasn't there a recent report from the OWH about the number of young people leaving Omaha and the State of Nebraska?

• Plus1 3

Something about Damon Benning....don't fully trust that guy for some reason. IDK what it is about him, but he always seems to low key trash on Nebraska athletics or any decision that is made. 

• Plus1 4
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

UNL's more recent history predominantly says otherwise

39 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

People need to remember:

LETS BLAME OMAHA

27 minutes ago, Lyons in the Sea of Red. said:

I'm fully aware Bounds has responsibilities that rest higher in level of importance than athletics. 

It’s this kind of nonsense that’s holding our ultimate frisbee team back.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, knapplc said:

First it was Gronk.

Now it's Hank Bounds.

Who's next?

Fine! You talked me into it!  

51 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

He seems to like being vague so it looks like he knows what he’s talking about. 

"Damon is in the know. Or is he?....Wouldn't we like to know?..... Welcome back to Sharp & Ambiguous in the Morning".

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I would imagine his decision has a lot to do with the aggressively contentious nature of the relationship some state senators have with the University.

Wait, I think you forgot to add something about Football or Basketball.   Just Kidding, I cant imagine what the fight and lobbying with elected officials would be like day to day. 

1 hour ago, Lyons in the Sea of Red. said:

This tweet and replies under it are interesting. I don't listen to Benning's show though so I'm not sure what the context is. 

I had to temporarily unblock Damon for this.