2020 Congressional Elections

9 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Those ads strike me as heavy handed.

The problem is they preach to the choir. However, I do concede that in today's political climate, any other form of politics is ineffective. 

Agreed. They do hit hard. And I think the fact that you and I both thought that speaks to the fact that there's still a huge majority of moderates in this country who just want civil discourse in politics. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, knapplc said:

Poor Moscow Mitch! Actual voters are donating their hard-earned cash to defeat his band of sycophants and he does not like it!

Good. It's one of the ways we can get back control of our democracy from corporations and the extremely wealthy.

16 hours ago, teachercd said:

So when it comes to donating to a campaign, has anyone here actually ever done that?  Who does that?

I got some food the other day and they did a "want to donate a dollar to help kids (or something)" and I said yes...I was immediately upset with myself. 

I never have and I can't imagine ever donating to a candidate or party.

Now, I don't have a problem donating to a kids thing like you were asked to do.

17 hours ago, teachercd said:

So when it comes to donating to a campaign, has anyone here actually ever done that?  Who does that?

I got some food the other day and they did a "want to donate a dollar to help kids (or something)" and I said yes...I was immediately upset with myself. 

Guilty... I never donate when some random store asks me to because I'm against guilt donating. But I donated to candidates in 2008, 2018, and 2020.

The Turtle knows that  Turtle soup is on the menu.  His reign in the Senate is about to end.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/12/politics/republican-senate-fears-election/index.html

Republican candidates are increasingly worried about President Donald Trump's unpopularity and the drag it might be having on races down the ballot, as Democratic candidates rack up stunning fundraising numbers in the final weeks of the campaign.

"Democrats are on fire," the Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell told lobbyists on a call recently, according to someone familiar with the comments, as he urged loyalists to help close the gap in the waning days of the campaign.
McConnell was referring to the massive fundraising advantage Democratic campaigns find themselves with -- which now includes South Carolina Democrat Jamie Harrison's record-breaking $57 million raised in his race against Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham.
But the GOP's fundraising woes may be a lagging indicator of what party leaders can see from current national and state-level polling: the President and the Republican party are losing ground -- and running out of time to gain it back.

And the rats are starting to jump ship:

PHOENIX — Facing increasingly grim poll numbers that show a widening advantage for Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden, Senate Republicans desperate to save their majority are beginning to distance themselves from President Trump just weeks before Election Day.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and his top lieutenant, Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), have offered critical assessments of the administration’s botched response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Susan Collins (R-Maine) broke with Trump last week over Trump’s decision — since reversed — to call off negotiations with House Democrats over a coronavirus relief package. Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) apologized for going maskless at a White House event where he and other senators contracted the coronavirus.

At a debate here last week, Sen. Martha McSally (R-Ariz.) evaded repeatedly when asked whether she was proud of her support for Trump.

“I’m proud that I’m fighting for Arizonans on things like cutting your taxes,” McSally said. Asked again, she repeated: “I’m proud to be fighting for Arizona every single day, putting legislation on President Trump’s desk. You look at the legislation we put on his desk, it’s to cut Arizonans’ taxes.”

Republican anxiety is reminiscent of the late stages of the 2016 election, when GOP incumbents raced to distance themselves from Trump after taped audio from "Access Hollywood" showed the then-celebrity businessman making obscene comments about sexually assaulting women.

• Thanks 1