Bill Barr Assembles Team to Investigate Counterintel Probe Into Trump Campaign

On 5/3/2019 at 5:14 PM, TheSker said:

So......to make sure I follow on this....

You're using a life long critic of the Republican party who has always been a critic of the Republican party to criticize the direction of the Republican party?

No I'm using the daughter of Reagan's to point out the fact that the current GOP is nothing like the GOP during Reagan's time and that they shouldn't be using Reagan's name as a blanket to cover themselves with.  Philosophically and in personal demeanor they are miles apart.

• Plus1 1

It's also political cover to assume that Ronald Reagan's America was a time of decorum and Greatness that even present day Democrats might yearn for, but those two terms weren't so great at all, and set the trajectory for the wealth disparity, jingoism, and government/science/media distrust that make us a lesser nation today.  

• Plus1 3

Also, if you were troubled by Benghazi, Hillary's emails, or Russian election interference, revisit the Iran/Contra affair during Reagan's administration -- a straight up end around congress involving arms for hostages, deals with terrorists, deals with drug traffickers, lying subordinates and an obsession with Iran that still guides the John Bolton wing of policy makers. It makes Russian collusion seem quaint. 

Also, remember when the Reagan campaign actually negotiated with Iranian moderates to not release the American hostages before the 1980 election, denying Jimmy Carter any campaign bump? Let that settle in a moment.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Also, if you were troubled by Benghazi, Hillary's emails, or Russian election interference, revisit the Iran/Contra affair during Reagan's administration -- a straight up end around congress involving arms for hostages, deals with terrorists, deals with drug traffickers, lying subordinates and an obsession with Iran that still guides the John Bolton wing of policy makers. It makes Russian collusion seem quaint. 

Also, remember when the Reagan campaign actually negotiated with Iranian moderates to not release the American hostages before the 1980 election, denying Jimmy Carter any campaign bump? Let that settle in a moment.

Guy,  Iran Contra was a black eye on the Reagan term in office for sure.  Can't sugar coat it any other way.  How much he knew, I don't think any of will ever know but the fact is he had some renegade people that did what they did under his watch.   His loose management style was a contributing factor in that regard.  Reagan's autobiography spends a lot of time on this issue and Reagan is very regretful for its occurrence and maintains that he did not know.   There is no mention in his autobiography or any other Reagan book that I have read which documents that the Reagan campaign 'actually negotiated wt the moderates to 'not release' the hostages. 

This wiki link discusses it 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Surprise_conspiracy_theory

House of Representatives investigation

The House of Representatives' 1993 report concluded "there is no credible evidence supporting any attempt by the Reagan presidential campaign—or persons associated with the campaign—to delay the release of the American hostages in Iran". The task force Chairman Lee H. Hamilton (Democrat) also added that the vast majority of the sources and material reviewed by the committee were "wholesale fabricators or were impeached by documentary evidence". The report also expressed the belief that several witnesses had committed perjury during their sworn statements to the committee, among them Richard Brenneke,[26] who claimed to be a CIA agent.[27]

Knapp,   Yes they both had a way of making people feel good.  But they both had some major accomplishments that were substantial reasons for the feel good emotions.  Reagan - booming economy, the ending of the cold war which played dividend into the 1990s, missile treaty with the Soviets to name a few.  Clinton had a good economy under his watch as well plus lower foreign tensions since the cold war had ended.   

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Reagan (and Clinton) had a knack for making a swath of people generally feel good, hence they are remembered as good presidents

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TGHusker said:

No I'm using the daughter of Reagan's to point out the fact that the current GOP is nothing like the GOP during Reagan's time and that they shouldn't be using Reagan's name as a blanket to cover themselves with.  Philosophically and in personal demeanor they are miles apart.

It's nothing but political theater.

......but what isn't?

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Guy,  Iran Contra was a black eye on the Reagan term in office for sure.  Can't sugar coat it any other way.  How much he knew, I don't think any of will ever know but the fact is he had some renegade people that did what they did under his watch.   His loose management style was a contributing factor in that regard.  Reagan's autobiography spends a lot of time on this issue and Reagan is very regretful for its occurrence and maintains that he did not know.   There is no mention in his autobiography or any other Reagan book that I have read which documents that the Reagan campaign 'actually negotiated wt the moderates to 'not release' the hostages. 

This wiki link discusses it 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Surprise_conspiracy_theory

I'm skeptical of most conspiracy theories, but apparently I was a highly caffinated college student when I fully accepted the logic of "the October Surprise" and never followed up on it over the years.  Thanks for the link. I will no longer share the theory so flippantly.  

• Fire 1
12 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm skeptical of most conspiracy theories, but apparently I was a highly caffinated college student when I fully accepted the logic of "the October Surprise" and never followed up on it over the years.  Thanks for the link. I will no longer share the theory so flippantly.  

Thanks Guy.  

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well....maybe....just maybe.....this is a difference between one of these guys is working for the American people and one is working for the President.

So shouldn't this effectively end this thread? 

• Plus1 2
  • 2 weeks later...

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, funhusker said:

To kind of get back on topic:  When (if) Horowitz comes back and says everything appeared to be on the up and up, how long will it take for people to scream that he is an "angry lib" and he should be investigated?

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:33 AM, Fru said:

So shouldn't this effectively end this thread? 

I'll be the first one to remind you if Barr fails to exonerate the Obama administration. 

6 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I'll be the first one to remind you if Barr fails to exonerate the Obama administration. 

Please do.

Just one question though. In your world, doesn't "This does not exonerate the President" mean "Complete and total exoneration"? 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1