Who will be the next Republican nominee (2024 and beyond) and what will they run on?

This isn’t a bash Trump thread so no need for some folks to get all worked up about it.  But I’m sitting here drinking my coffee on vacation and reflecting on last night’s Dem debates.

What will GOP debates look like in 8 years?  Who will run? Are they going to double down on Trump’s policies and attitudes, or bring them back to more of a Romney/Kasich style?

Those of you who would prefer a GOP candidate, who would you like to see and what do you hope they prioritize?  Libs: where do you see it going?

My thought is 2024 someone will try to imitate Trump but not be near as good at it and will crash and burn.  Thinking someone like Jordan or the Rep from Texas with one eye.  Making the return of “traditional” candidates eminent.

Leading up to the 2016 election when it seemed certain that Trump was going to lose, I thought it would have been smart for the Republican party to distance themselves from Trump, to say something along the lines of Trump not representing their values, and then stating what their actual conservative, American values were. It seemed to me that going all in on a guy like Trump would be political suicide, and the GOP would have been better off redefining their party and positioning themselves for the next cycle. 

Well, I was wrong. They hitched their wagon to racism and vitriol and abandoned all of the compassionate conservatism/family values/personal responsibility issues that they used to pay lip service to. And they have set up the system in their favor so that, even though most Americans don't support their nonsense (even though an alarmingly high number still do), they have been able to enjoy their corrupt power with impunity.

I don't know how to answer your question. I have no idea who will be the next GOP star. But I have no faith in the party that they will nominate anyone with any ethics, morality, or scruples of any kind. I think an actual conservative party with actual American values will need to be a new party altogether, as the current version of the GOP is too far off the deep end. 

The next one might be someone just as vile and corrupt as Trump, but maybe a savvier politician, which would be frightening. Imagine if someone like Trump actually had the ability to do things instead of just barking about it.

• Plus1 1

It’s a scary thought @Ulty.  I guess my question was mostly for the posters in the last few days that claim to not like Trump, but he’s better than the alternatives.

What do they want to see? And what do they want to go away?  Maybe they want the savvy politician do they don’t need to be outed by blow hard Tweets :dunno

I'm guessing in 2024 and beyond, we will see some people who aren't really on the radar right now.  I do see Haley positioning herself for a run.  

It all depends on how the future republican voters view the disaster of the Trump administration.  What messaging is Fox News going to put in that group about this era?  

Is that future attitude about Trump and Fox News messaging going to make the base want someone back like Trump?  OR....are they going to want to distance themselves from it and forget about it?

As for Haley, how much mud is going to be on her after being a part of the Trump era?

What will change the Republican party the most is if the Democrats win in 2020 and they keep making gains in congress....and eventually take over the Senate.

If the Republicans wake up at some point and control no part of the federal government, it can possibly force a change.

• Plus1 1