Kicking Game

37 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

There is a reason he is #2 on the depth chart, people. I would not expect to see him AT ALL in a game until he is #1 on the depth chart or there is an in-game injury to the kicker that is #1 on the current depth chart.

I loved watching McCallum celebrating that game winning kick against Northwestern, but even that perfectly centered 24 yarder was an adventure. 

Either Pickering is using his leg during practice or he's not. If he's kicking more accurately than McCallum from any distance, and good enough to suit up for the game, he should be our field goal kicker for the one or two times he'd be called upon. 

Otherwise you're kinda messing with both Pickering and McCallum's heads.

I guess the starting kicker could get injured during the game, but don't remember it happening before. 

On 10/24/2019 at 10:38 AM, bugeater17 said:

This situation is not as black and white as portrayed. If he is on a kick count he likely won't have the leg strength for longer field goals. Similarly, it is not like Pickering is a guarantee from beyond 40 yards - especially with an injury. Personally, I think its wiser to game plan to go for it on 4th (or punt in long down and distance) when you are in boarder line fg territory and ride with a back up for 1 more game.

Also, Frost is not going to have 2 scholarship kickers on the team for more than 1 year... so going out and nabbing another one would be in the way of a walk-on, which is what we already have. 

Bump... 

• 3 weeks later...

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know nothing about kicking so....

Why does our kicker on kickoffs only have a 4 yard approach while almost all others have a 9 yard approach?

I would assume this contributes to his lack of ability to get it to the end zone.  

Obviously I wasn't paying enough attention.

But I think it's back to Pickering, yes?  Maybe still trying to dial it down just a bit to avoid re-injury?

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know nothing about kicking so....

Why does our kicker on kickoffs only have a 4 yard approach while almost all others have a 9 yard approach?

I would assume this contributes to his lack of ability to get it to the end zone.  

I don't either but that squib kick on the last KO I believe was probably the most effective kick of the day. IMHO they should just go to that deep squib the rest of the season. It is hard for a team to get a return setup when the returning is fielding/fumbling around the ball at the 15-20 yd line and since almost none of our kicks make it to the end zone you are probably not going to give up much.

Saw this topic pop back up and it reminded me of a Knute Rockne story I read once (who knows if it is true, probably not). 

For spring conditioning, he was going to have the Irish play some soccer.  He said the rules were simple.  If the ball is near you,  run over and kick it.  If the ball is not near you, run over and kick the nearest player. 

They were ready to start practice, when he realized no one had brought the soccer ball along.  He announced "my assistant has gone back to the locker room to get the ball". 

One of the defensive linemen said "OK coach, can we go ahead and get started?"   

• Haha 1