Kicking Game

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Maybe Wisconsin, but not any game we feel like we should win. He could have been the difference against Colorado, although the way we were imploding it might not have made a difference.

With Pickering in the game, I think we would had enough "intimidation" to beat Ohio State....

He was all we were missing from that game being a victory.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:21 PM, cheekygeek said:

Unfortunately sounds like Pickering won't be helping our struggling kick-off game for the time being but hopefully we can get some fieldgoals out of him.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

At this point, I think you sit Pickering this week and preserve his redshirt. 

17 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

If he gives us a chance to win, you play him.

Normally, I'd agree. But Kicker is a bit different with the type (or atleast suspected) injury he has and a high likelihood of re-injury if brought along too quick. If he is on a kick count still, how strong is his leg going to be?

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

How about you burn his redshirt, use him to win close games this year, and then use the next three years to find other kickers who are as good or better. 

I am with you on this one.  I don't think Frost is worrying about Pickering's redshirt at this point.  Use the guy if he's needed, and worry about 2-3 years down the road at that time.  Frost should also try to bring in a kicker or two to give him some competition.

33 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Normally, I'd agree. But Kicker is a bit different with the type (or atleast suspected) injury he has and a high likelihood of re-injury if brought along too quick. If he is on a kick count still, how strong is his leg going to be?

Well yea, I suspect he wouldn't play if there's chance of re-injury but that's different than sitting him just to preserve his redshirt

49 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

How about you burn his redshirt, use him to win close games this year, and then use the next three years to find other kickers who are as good or better. 

46 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am with you on this one.  I don't think Frost is worrying about Pickering's redshirt at this point.  Use the guy if he's needed, and worry about 2-3 years down the road at that time.  Frost should also try to bring in a kicker or two to give him some competition.

27 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Well yea, I suspect he wouldn't play if there's chance of re-injury but that's different than sitting him just to preserve his redshirt

This situation is not as black and white as portrayed. If he is on a kick count he likely won't have the leg strength for longer field goals. Similarly, it is not like Pickering is a guarantee from beyond 40 yards - especially with an injury. Personally, I think its wiser to game plan to go for it on 4th (or punt in long down and distance) when you are in boarder line fg territory and ride with a back up for 1 more game.

Also, Frost is not going to have 2 scholarship kickers on the team for more than 1 year... so going out and nabbing another one would be in the way of a walk-on, which is what we already have. 

15 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

This situation is not as black and white as portrayed. If he is on a kick count he likely won't have the leg strength for longer field goals. Similarly, it is not like Pickering is a guarantee from beyond 40 yards - especially with an injury. Personally, I think its wiser to game plan to go for it on 4th (or punt in long down and distance) when you are in boarder line fg territory and ride with a back up for 1 more game.

Also, Frost is not going to have 2 scholarship kickers on the team for more than 1 year... so going out and nabbing another one would be in the way of a walk-on, which is what we already have. 

I know that is Frost's plan, but he may choose to change his approach if Pickering's injury is a lingering issue, which could impact the rest of his career.