Colorado Week Pressers

Mavric

1 minute ago, 30-50 Feral Hogs said:

A little concerning that we are "light years" ahead of where we were last year and yet the game plan was too much for the offense.

It might have been too much for guys in their first extensive game time in their college careers.  I think we may have been expecting too much of the young, first-time starters on the o-line.  Yes, they earned their starting spots, but in hindsight, it was unrealistic to play flawless.  Whether it be nerves, the defense showing them unexpected looks, or other things, they didn't play like they had practiced in fall camp.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It might have been too much for guys in their first extensive game time in their college careers.

I think that’s exactly it. They’ll give guys stuff they can execute this week against a vulnerable CU defense, see how that goes, then probably start adding more as time goes on.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, brophog said:

For instance, a simple RPO may involve reading a LB and if he plays run, throw the slant behind him, and if not it’s a run. A more complex RPO may involve a run read and then two pass options dependent on a secondary read. 

Yep.

And that second type of RPO is where Frost & Milton absolutely destroyed their opponents in 2017.

I so badly want to just win this game this weekend and then continue on. It feels nerve racking to feel like we could lose to Colorado two years in a row but I feel pretty sure that Frost/Verduzco have great things in store for Martinez's play this season, and I know Adrian is up for it. One bad game is messing with my head but I know what this offense is capable of, especially seeing the extra dynamic that Wan'Dale adds.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, knapplc said:

Well, now I'm confused. This seems like the opposite of the "vanilla" talk we were hearing.

I'm confused as well.  I din't see a team trying to do too much.  I saw an offense not doing enough.  How do you put in too much for year two in the system.  I don't understand.......

I liked Verduzco's comments  better when asked about Sat.  He said he and Martinez both did a piss poor job.  Simple, brutal and truthful.  

• Plus1 1

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think the coaches ever said anything about being too vanilla. The "too schemey, too much, etc" has been pretty consistent, the fans thought it was vanilla. And as others have pointed out, things that look vanilla to us may be very complicated for the players. So yes a little concerning that in year 2 some gameplans are too complicated, but it sounds like the poor week of practive was as much a factor as the complexity. And I haven't heard any mixed messages from the coaches - it's all been bad practice and making things too complex.

• Plus1 2

Man I think it'd be fun to sit down with Verduzco and just talk for an hour. He reminds me of a kookie college professor.

Seems like some of the reason that the coaches have such a hard time explaining what happened Saturday is it was just so out of character for Martinez last year and through fall camp. I imagine Martinez knows what was up and he is under no obligation to explain more than he has. He'll get it fixed.

• Plus1 1

The most troubling aspect of the team's performance (primarily the offense) is that it just did not meet the expectations of the fans and public generally.   Most people, from causal observers to the 'insider' types within the local media) have had fairly tempered and realistic views.   These feelings were only reinforced, continually by the coaches from Frost on down and every position, with the exception of Austin whose interviews were always very reserved and hestiant.   I think the last week or so before game 1 when Frost announced he was starting Cam J at the center spot, Austin seemed particularly cautious.

I do think Cam will play much better this week but it is almost certain, in my opinion, that he was espectially nervous and lacked confidence to an extent.   I think the young linemen will make a fairly impressive jump up but Colorado will be attacking them like bees on honey no doubt.   We better have some special plans to help them out or it will not be pretty on a fairly significant portion of the plays.

Adrian was (and still is) under enormous pressure.   I don't remember any prior Husker QB, much less a young one with just about 10 games of experience under his belt, being put in this pressure by the Coaches.   Frost and Co have basically called him 'the best Husker QB ever" after one fairly good season, albeit on a team that won only 4 games.  Even Osborne has offered rare praise.  This puts Adrian in a tough spot where he is practically required to make great plays even if the rest of the team is still unproven and in the second year of a complete overhaul and rebuilding process.

Adrian didn't always play that well last year and is still very young in football playing time.  He is capable of making some special plays but following those plays with some 'No Nos" as well.   The most important thing, in my view, is for him to play as hard as he can and forget about the injury and and play like this game is his last one.   If he doesn't, it won't be long before he will be feeling the heat of the competition from the guys behind him.

I am fairly confident the team will play better but the offense will need to score atleast 28 and maintain a considerable edge in time of possession and not put our defense in very many field position holes to win.

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Seems like some of the reason that the coaches have such a hard time explaining what happened Saturday is it was just so out of character for Martinez last year and through fall camp.

I don’t think they have any trouble explaining it. They just don’t want to explain it to the other team. ;)