Week 2 Polls

knapplc

And this is exactly why I don't understand all the "fans" who were lamenting that we were ranked before week 1. Did we deserve a preseason ranking based on prior years performance? Maybe not but don't look a gift horse in the mouth. You take it and hope your team lives up to it and earns it. This is how polls work. We won so we stay the same or move up. Doesn't make much difference who the opponent was or how impressive the victory was.

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Didn't expect that, but Iowa State and Northwestern lost and fell out so, that helps push us up. No one else below us really impressed in their wins except Boise State who jumped up. So, I think it was "just enough" to keep us there with others falling out.

90% of the voters just see that we won by 14 and have no clue about the issues we've all been discussing since the game.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
Just now, JJ Husker said:

And this is exactly why I don't understand all the "fans" who were lamenting that we were ranked before week 1. Did we deserve a preseason ranking based on prior years performance? Maybe not but don't look a gift horse in the mouth. You take it and hope your team lives up to it and earns it. This is how polls work. We won so we stay the same or move up. Doesn't make much difference who the opponent was or how impressive the victory was.

I've never understood fans grumbling that we are ranked in a preseason poll no matter what the previous season is like.

9 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Didn't expect that, but Iowa State and Northwestern lost and fell out so, that helps push us up. No one else below us really impressed in their wins except Boise State who jumped up. So, I think it was "just enough" to keep us there with others falling out.

Iowa State didn't lose, but going to triple OT against Northern Iowa might as well have been a loss.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Apsu said:

The lessons to be learned from these polls are...

- schedule easy OoC

- don't lose to a cupcake

Unfortunately we've been trending this way for years.  An early season W over a top tier opponent doesn't mean anything in November (unless you go undefeated at which point it didn't matter anyway).  The pollsters have very short memories.

16 minutes ago, Husker Poyer said:

Unfortunately we've been trending this way for years.  An early season W over a top tier opponent doesn't mean anything in November (unless you go undefeated at which point it didn't matter anyway).  The pollsters have very short memories.

I would like to see Nebraska play one top 25 team OoC each season, but that is the old time fan speaking who remembers that being in the top ten every week was a near given. We're not quite ready for prime time (top 25), still problems on the OL, LB and with team depth.