Troy walters?

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

You can still run that out of those formations - 5 wide included a TE and RB, who can jog back in and take a few runs. Our advantage is having some good athletes, not trying to run over teams we cannot out muscle clearly. 

Agree with all of this. Just pointing out how we need high percentage stuff to move the chains and get Adrian's confidence back up. 

And again, looking for these complicated downfield route reads on 2nd & 5 is just stupid coaching IMO.

4 minutes ago, n.e.husker said:

I like washington better at receiver  or as a receiving threat.

its too bad we need him in the backfield though he always tries to bounce plays outside instead of taking the straight ahead yardage.

Ain't this the truth. He is a beast catching the ball. I mean he can run the rock sure but he is damn talented as a reciever.

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agree with all of this. Just pointing out how we need high percentage stuff to move the chains and get Adrian's confidence back up. 

And again, looking for these complicated downfield route reads on 2nd & 5 is just stupid coaching IMO.

For sure and I pointed out I haven't seen those quick WR screens that we saw last year that got our guys in space and got AM's confidence up for being an easy completion. JD, Wandale, Jones are perfect for those plays. 

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

For sure and I pointed out I haven't seen those quick WR screens that we saw last year that got our guys in space and got AM's confidence up for being an easy completion. JD, Wandale, Jones are perfect for those plays. 

Slip screens, inside screens to our running back...they're all MIA.

I think we need to establish the running game first and foremost.   Having an established and effective run game will help keep the pressure off of AM when he sets back to pass.  The D just Ts off on him and follows his every move.  Get the RBs to be productive and the D will have to concentrate on Washington or Mills, etc - like so much of the hoopla around this year's team, Mills hasn't lived up to the hype.

If we get the run game going, perhaps AM will get his brain right and he can find those open receivers.  Right now he seems unsure of himself, he waits to long to throw.   Also we need to improve some of the play calling.  After Washington took that flair pass to the house.  The next time we had the ball, the first play -  we did the same play to the opposite side - we were fortunate it wasn't a pick 6 as it was heavily covered.  Why aren't the TEs being utilized more, where is all of that speedy slot receiver action??

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I think we need to establish the running game first and foremost.   Having an established and effective run game will help keep the pressure off of AM when he sets back to pass.

Here's the thing: Take the Northern Illinois game this week. You have this team that's semi-decent that comes in and they know their only real chance to win is to stack the box defensively. So you're just running into a big pile of bodies.

We have a center who's only played the position two games in his football career and a sophomore walk-on at left guard. 

With the right scheme, you punish their defensive game plan by throwing to the edges quickly. Once they loosen up and start spreading out to combat that, you punch 'em in the mouth with the interior runs.

This offense is capable of "pass to set up the run" instead of how it's traditionally the other way around.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Undone said:

Here's the thing: Take the Northern Illinois game this week. You have this team that's semi-decent that comes in and they know their only real chance to win is to stack the box defensively. So you're just running into a big pile of bodies.

We have a center who's only played the position two games in his football career and a sophomore walk-on at left guard. 

With the right scheme, you punish their defensive game plan by throwing to the edges quickly. Once they loosen up and start spreading out to combat that, you punch 'em in the mouth with the interior runs.

This offense is capable of "pass to set up the run" instead of how it's traditionally the other way around.

makes sense 

17 hours ago, Undone said:

I think it was Chalk Talk that talked about this from last year.  Frost would bunch in a tight set and then motion  guys out to loosen up the middle.  Do the quick outs  to further spread the D sideline to sideline and then hit them where they were not....

You also mentioned above all the plays MIA from last year.  Maybe those were more "basic", "a limited playbook", not the "whole scheme".  Who cares.  It worked much better than what we are seeing now.  Go back to the Frost O light, limit reads and let's see what hapens...

21 hours ago, Undone said:

For me it's about finding a mix of plays that are high percentage. So those are going to be wide receiver screens, bubble screens, and hitting our backs out of the flats on passing plays.

Five wide looked pretty terrible for us in that third quarter, so I personally wouldn't keep doing things that don't work. I'd look for higher percentage stuff that call for a designed quick pass instead of route reads, because he's struggling with that right now. 

I'd also try running Martinez where he's got a back or a tight end as a lead blocker. His empty backfield runs aren't good right now, but he can pick up 4 or 5 yards with a lead blocker. 

We run quite a bit of Dart and QB power with Adrian right now, so we're giving him a lead blocker even in an empty backfield. The issue is still good blocks up front.

• Plus1 2

I am sure I should know this, but play calling to me has been a big concern with the offense.  Is Walters calling the plays or is Frost calling them?  

Regarding offensive execution, we saw the potential the unit has in the first half of the Colorado game, but for whatever reason the play-calling and execution in the 2nd half were horrendous.  Now part of this is likely due to adjustments Colorado made, but it doesn't look like Nebraska made counter adjustments.  

• Plus1 1