Reparations, Racism & Building a better Society

Reparations  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Whoever laughed at this is a coward who lacks the brain capacity for conversation. 

Wasn’t me, though I don’t see the big deal about a smiley emoticon.  The bigger travesty was being told to be careful about how to answer a post!  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Wasn’t me, though I don’t see the big deal about a smiley emoticon.  The bigger travesty was being told to be careful about how to answer a post!  

Eh, I didn't comment on that one. I only care when it's trolling, which it often is.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Still trying to figure out what I am supposed to be careful about?  

I don’t have a problem with weekend voting.  I also already shown support for a Election Day holiday.

My question is how does the elimination of weekend voting become racist against the Black population but not any other group of people?  Doesn’t everyone have an equal opportunity to early vote on weekdays or weekends?  

I understand the souls to the pols thing.  But is after church the only time in a 30-45 day window that someone can vote for African Americans?  A large portion of Hispanics are faith based too.  Muslims?  Christians?  Jews? These other groups seem to find ways to vote outside of after Church on weekends. Everyone is playing by the same sets of rules.  Just make sure everyone knows what the are ahead of time.  

You're either naive or disingenuous to think the Republican strategists didn't run the data analytics and found that by eliminating weekend voting they would reduce access to voting in communities that traditionally do not vote Republican.  

All your wiggling otherwise is just fodder.  You know the real reason the Republicans are doing this.  

• Plus1 3
9 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Lol.... neither a laughy face or a post on an obscure forum on the web are travesties.  I thought you guys were suppose to be the tough guys and libs the snowflakes.  :lol:

• Plus1 2

30 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

You're either naive or disingenuous to think the Republican strategists didn't run the data analytics and found that by eliminating weekend voting they would reduce access to voting in communities that traditionally do not vote Republican.  

All your wiggling otherwise is just fodder.  You know the real reason the Republicans are doing this.  

As stated, it reduces those voting days for everyone.  Not just Democrat voters.  I hope it doesn’t get changed but if it does then vote one of the five days in the week.   

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

1). Not to my knowledge.  If so, that would illegal.  

2). I’m not against weekend voting, I’m fine with it as I am fine with a voting holiday.   I am against people thinking the deck is stacked against certain groups when everyone has to follow the same set of rules that are not cumbersome in today’s day and age.  Unlike the unreasonable laws in the many years past.  Now you understand the point I am making 

Maybe I just don't get into the message board "debates" like some.  But if you agree that the Georgia GOP is making a mistake by putting an end to weekend voting, why put forth energy posting against a post you agree with?

Playing "gotcha" (there are many here that do that) has to be tiring.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Maybe I just don't get into the message board "debates" like some.  But if you agree that the Georgia GOP is making a mistake by putting an end to weekend voting, why put forth energy posting against a post you agree with?

Playing "gotcha" (there are many here that do that) has to be tiring.

What’s tiring is acting like certain groups of people will not be able to vote if weekend voting is eliminated.  That is why I’m in the conversation.  

One other note, if the Georgia state GOP oversteps their bounds with voting laws, people will sue and the law will be under judicial review.  If it’s illegal, then the laws will change.  If it’s not illegal then the voters need to change. Which leads me to my point of everyone ends up playing be the same set of election rules.  

• Plus1 2
36 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What’s tiring is acting like certain groups of people will not be able to vote if weekend voting is eliminated.  That is why I’m in the conversation.  

One other note, if the Georgia state GOP oversteps their bounds with voting laws, people will sue and the law will be under judicial review.  If it’s illegal, then the laws will change.  If it’s not illegal then the voters need to change. Which leads me to my point of everyone ends up playing be the same set of election rules.  

Would eliminating weekend voting make it "easier" to vote?  Of course not, that's why states allowed it; to increase voter turnout.  We both seem to agree that this is a good thing.

I don't think anyone claimed Africans Americans could "only" vote on weekends.  They simply pointed out the pretty obvious motives of the Georgia GOP.  Voting on the weekends is apparently legal since, according to your metric, it would have been tried in courts and shut down if it was illegal.  Voting on the weekends also apparently increases voter turnout.  I guess I just don't see anything that has actually been posted that you disagree with...

Unless you believe the Georgia GOP eliminating weekend voting will make it easier for people to participate in the election process :dunno

• Plus1 2
39 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It matters why they are making the rule. It matters what the demographic of voters is that has to wait in line a lot longer because of where they live. The GOP is making it harder to vote especially for people in densely populated areas by reducing the window of time to vote in. Minorities are much more likely to live in these areas. 

What they are doing is considered illegal in most industries, which is a good thing. For example companies can’t do things if disparate impact is shown, even if they weren’t doing it on purpose. Unless they can show no other option was available to them, which clearly isn’t the case here. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What’s tiring is acting like certain groups of people will not be able to vote if weekend voting is eliminated.

You're right.  It would benefit people from all races and walks of life.  So....that's why it should be changed.  Opposing it because some people say it will benefit one or two groups is pretty ridiculous.

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I think when people remind you to "be careful" when answering a post, it's simply because you''ve already walked into a corner that's either willfully ignorant or offensive, and you will likely have to pretend you're merely debating a point of order rather than the unpleasant belief system behind it.  

This is based strictly on everything you've posted.  

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think when people remind you to "be careful" when answering a post, it's simply because you''ve already walked into a corner that's either willfully ignorant or offensive, and you will likely have to pretend you're merely debating a point of order rather than the unpleasant belief system behind it.  

This is based strictly on everything you've posted.  

That would be an incorrect assessment, but you are welcome to your opinion of course.   It’s more likely that you are wrong and are looking for a way to be offended or not proven wrong. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
28 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

That would be an incorrect assessment, but you are welcome to your opinion of course.   It’s more likely that you are wrong and are looking for a way to be offended or not proven wrong. 

My opinion is that you know the multiple changes in voting requirements are specifically designed at the state GOP level to discourage Black voters, who predominantly vote Democrat, and that you're okay with it because you're a Republican. Arguing that it's simple to get an ID lets you ignore that this strategic voter suppression is pretty ugly at the core, and few can deny its racist underpinnings with a straight face.  

Of course I may be wrong. But I'm betting not. 

• Plus1 5