What did we learn? (The Illinois edition, sponsored by Stickum brand adhesive)

1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

We have too many TFLs for it to be great defensive play or bad OL play.

With a read style offense, sometimes there is going to be a bad read which creates a TFL. I’m not saying the o-line is playing great, but there are still a number of young players who are still developing. With probably 40 pass plays called, 2 sacks is probably acceptable. I am more upset about the holdings and other penalties which turned out to be drive killers. 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, FrankWheeler said:

Without the tackles for loss, how many yards do they get?  It was already the most they ever picked up under Frost.

I'm not complaining about the total rushing yards.  I've noticed defenses seem to be aggressive a lot of times (LBs shooting gaps) almost like they know what run play is coming.  The first couple of games I thought maybe they were gambling and just got lucky.  Starting with the NIU game I began to suspect something was up.

1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

I'm not complaining about the total rushing yards.  I've noticed defenses seem to be aggressive a lot of times (LBs shooting gaps) almost like they know what run play is coming.  The first couple of games I thought maybe they were gambling and just got lucky.  Starting with the NIU game I began to suspect something was up.

Maybe shooting the gaps is also what led them to giving up 360 yards rushing?

Seriously, what is an acceptable amount if 360 rushing and 690 total is not?

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I learned that this team finally found a way to win game that it would not have found in about the last 15 years. 

Not sure I understand what you're talking about. How is this notably different than...

2009 Missouri when we were down 12-0 in the fourth with a completely anemic offense?

2011 Ohio State when we were down by 21 points halfway through the third quarter?

2012 Wisconsin when we were down by 17 points halfway through the third quarter?

2013 Northwestern when Tommy threw three picks, including one with only 2:25 left in the game, and we won on a Hail Mary?

2014 Iowa when we were down by 17 points halfway through the third quarter?

18 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

As a receiver it is illegal to go out of bounds then come back in isn't it? I think this is similar and calls for a rule change on kickoffs.

If a receiver goes out of bounds and catches the ball, or even touches the ball, it's an incomplete pass due to the ball/receiver being out of bounds. The kick returner didn't go out of bounds and then come back in bounds. 

• Plus1 1

It appears all the same types of mistakes, turnovers and sloppy play that have been a part of this program for the better part of 10 years ... still plague this team.  The only difference now is that we got a bit of a boost in a game like this because we have some better talent to overcome out own shortcomings.

In a week where we pull out a victory over a lowly like Illinois and Wisky takes down Michigan so well ... it's pretty obvious to me that we can expect our team to make enough mistakes to snatch away a victory against at least Wisky and Iowa.  They are too good for us with our current plague.  

I can't recall UCF being such a turnover, mistake making team.  

Just a big HMMM to what I'm witnessing ... I didn't expect this to continue ... especially against poor teams.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

Maybe shooting the gaps is also what led them to giving up 360 yards rushing?

Seriously, what is an acceptable amount if 360 rushing and 690 total is not?

Acceptable would be running it in from the 1 foot line when the game is on the line....or running it out of the endzone from our own one yard line....against Illinois. Other than that I like how the running game is starting to look like something that can sustain a drive. We'll see where we're really at next week.

29 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Special teams (other than kicking) have been good/fine all year. Punt return for TD against USA. Forced fumble against CU with 6 minutes left in the game. Multiple block punts against NIU. NU has the top 2 kickers injured. I don’t think many teams in college football go 3 deep in place kicker. Also, the Blocked PAT was done by a rusher against the deep snapper. That’s against the rules, and should have been a penalty. 

Our kickoff team game has been  garbage both seasons. JD returned one on a bad team and we have done nothing since. Kick returns havent been good.  We have had multiple blocking breakdowns. Of course losing Pickering hurts bad, that is  just bad luck, but overall ST's have too often been bad or mediocre this season and last.

3 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Acceptable would be running it in from the 1 foot line when the game is on the line....or running it out of the endzone from our own one yard line....against Illinois. Other than that I like how the running game is starting to look like something that can sustain a drive. We'll see where we're really at next week.

Frost admitted that he would call different plays at 1st and goal at the 1 at the end of the game. However, this week Frost calls a relatively safe run call up the middle with Mills. He didn’t call the “fumble play”.  Last week, we was crucified for calling a swing pass deep in his own territory, and this week you are complaining about a fumble (after a 6 yard gain). 

• Thanks 2

When a receiver catches a ball, it doesn't matter if the ball itself is physically out of bounds - it's where the player's feet come down that determines whether the play was in-bounds or not. And conversely, if the ball is physically in-bounds but the receiver is out-of-bounds, then it's considered a catch made out of bounds.

That's basically the same principle that applies to that kickoff: a returner standing out of bounds who recovers a ball that's in-bounds and on the ground is treated basically the same as if he'd caught it that way.

It also applies to a fumble when the ball is in-bounds and the player is out-of-bounds.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, River-runner said:

The guys from Illinois did go out of bounds, then he put his hand down in the field of play BEFORE he touched the ball.  Shouldn't that have triggered a foul prior to touching the ball?

As long as he has any part of his body out of bounds before touching/establishing possession with the ball, it’s out of bounds. 

32 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Not sure I understand what you're talking about. How is this notably different than...

2009 Missouri when we were down 12-0 in the fourth with a completely anemic offense?

2011 Ohio State when we were down by 21 points halfway through the third quarter?

2012 Wisconsin when we were down by 17 points halfway through the third quarter?

2013 Northwestern when Tommy threw three picks, including one with only 2:25 left in the game, and we won on a Hail Mary?

2014 Iowa when we were down by 17 points halfway through the third quarter?

Is it really your intention to argue that we've been particularly good at finding ways to win games in our recent past? Pretty sure if I was so inclined I could come up with many more examples of the Huskers failing to find a way to win. Maybe you just want to nitpick my stated timeframe. Would you feel better if I adjusted my statement to include only the Riley era and thus far in Frost's?

And TBH, I've already blocked the years you mentioned from my memory. That's what happens when a coach and team wins nothing of importance.

• Plus1 2