Should we abandon the kicking game entirely?

Salsa Red

12 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Is Pickering out for the year?

Thanks for asking, I was wondering the same thing, I get it that the teams don't comment on Injuries but it seems like there is usually something to work with, I don't know if it was an infected hangnail or an injury that will probably be career ending.   I suppose its because many times fans see the injury so we get to speculate but I guess we just wait.  I personally could use a little info from say the aquarium guy or a sock puppet.  

1 hour ago, mnhusker said:

Thanks for asking, I was wondering the same thing, I get it that the teams don't comment on Injuries but it seems like there is usually something to work with, I don't know if it was an infected hangnail or an injury that will probably be career ending.   I suppose its because many times fans see the injury so we get to speculate but I guess we just wait.  I personally could use a little info from say the aquarium guy or a sock puppet.  

1 hour ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Is Pickering out for the year?

Frost announces if players are out of the year. He hasn't announced anything on Pickering so my assumption is he is not and probably week to week or something.

I would think, statistically, with our offense (running QB, and so many run pass options, etc.)  and the fact that we are averaging around 6 yards per offensive play, that going for two, would likely produce more total points than kicking the PATs.   I am actually surprised Frost has not already started going for two much more often.

The kick offs are a problem and I think we'd be better off to squib kick it around 20 to 30 yards as a rolling and hard to field ball.  We have a real chance of recovering one out of three or four.   That would be better than giving them the 25 on touchbacks or the 35 or so on good returns or out of bounds errors.  Get our weakest kicker and let him have a shot at this type of  kick.

8 minutes ago, Norhusker said:

I was looking up drop kicks for kicking extra points and field goals.  Something so rare today you never see it. Doug Flutie did it a few years ago with the Patriots. Sill legal in NCAA football I believe. I don't recommend it, but thought it was worth mentioning considering our situation.

Our kickers can’t cleanly hit a ball behind held in place. What makes you think they could hit a bouncing one?! Might as well just blindfold them. Same result. 

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, Norhusker said:

I was looking up drop kicks for kicking extra points and field goals.  Something so rare today you never see it. Doug Flutie did it a few years ago with the Patriots. Sill legal in NCAA football I believe. I don't recommend it, but thought it was worth mentioning considering our situation.

Coach to kicker: “Hey we’ve noticed you e been having some issues with the FG and PAT while the ball is being held stationary and think you should add another element of difficulty and bounce it on the ground first and kick it as it ascends from the bounce.”

Excellent idea

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

Against Illinois, I don't think we had a touchback.....

Punting was off as well.

IIRC, Frost said they brought on a club soccer student who had kicked in HS...This was last week prior to Illinois.

They put a player from the club soccer team on the roster. He didn’t make the trip to Illinois. I expect him to get more looks in practice this week, at least on kickoff duty. Low kickoffs to the 5 yard line will result in long kickoff returns. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

They put a player from the club soccer team on the roster. He didn’t make the trip to Illinois. I expect him to get more looks in practice this week, at least on kickoff duty. Low kickoffs to the 5 yard line will result in long kickoff returns. 

Those were killing me.  No time to even get coverage down there until the returner is at the 25.......

Hope they can get this figured out.  In a close game (which this one could be) can come down to PAT's and FG's....

1 hour ago, lo country said:

Against Illinois, I don't think we had a touchback.....

Punting was off as well.

IIRC, Frost said they brought on a club soccer student who had kicked in HS...This was last week prior to Illinois.

Why do you want a touch back on a punt. 

We had 4 punts averaging 46.5 yards. They returned one for 5 yards. 

Our punting was was not an issue on Saturday. 

• Plus1 1