Talented, Strong, Fast, Clean, Well-Coached

"Now that's a Big Ten team."  Etc.. those are all the words heard around our section last night about OSU. 

There was a guy in his 60s from Ohio right next to me on my left.  As the game plodded on and the stadium grew less and less loud with the "Go Big Red" and "Husker Power" cheers, he pointed out a few things about our team upon being asked for his opinion:  "No O-line to speak of."  "Martinez needs a big hole to run through, collapses in small creases, can't see down field very well for open receivers, panics, poise comes and goes."  He was not nasty about it;  we were all having conversation and his views were welcome, and of course spot on. 

"Your co-ordinators over there call in bad plays.. they defeat the offense's momentum."  

"Untrained Special Teams all around."

This is stuff we talk about in here and put our Red spin on because we want more wins.  We're not going to get very many wins with a team and coaching staff like this.  We need recruits who are like those guys who pummeled us at will yesterday.  Can we get them? 

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

We will never recruit like Ohio State. We need to look in the mirror and see why we have so many issues that haven't gotten fixed. Our special teams are an absolute joke. Our defense has no identity and we do so many head scratcher alignments and schemes. 

I'm down with Frost.  However, if we are honest, if the current HC was not Frost the entire fan base would be calling for his head.....

Many were not sold on his staff from the jump.  UCF not sad to see some of them go.......I said in another thread the down fall of every coach since TO was holding onto guys too long (Solich and Bohl) or not getting rid of guys soon enough.

As you mentioned about scheme on offense, I have seen flashes of greatness and then it disappears.  IMHO, it is no better than Wats, Beck and Langs.....I read and see (chalk talk) show how Frost has used one play to set up another, but its for a series or 2.  Not a complete game.  The uptempo we heard so much about is virtually on-existent this year. If DC's have found a way to disrupt this by different pre-snap reads, the OC (Frost) needs to find a way to counter this or get a QB who can.  High snaps DO NOT help an offense predicated on timing....We seem content to run something and then stop before the D stops us......

Our defense struggles without blitzes getting home and without an elite edge rusher....We bite too much on PA and double moves.  How about use JoJo like Shaqueem at UCF or better yet like Demorrio Williams by Bo in 2003...I am not a fan of a "base 3-4". 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Why though 5 game into year 2? I wouldn't he calling for heads thats for sure 

As I said, I am down with Frost, but IMHO him being the prodigal son gets a HUGE amount of grace and latitude from the fan base that wouldnt be given to anyone else...

I think if he can not turn this sinking ship around, this is our future......

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

As I said, I am down with Frost, but IMHO him being the prodigal son gets a HUGE amount of grace and latitude from the fan base that wouldnt be given to anyone else...

Completely agree.   I think he’s 100% the right person.  That is why this was so discouraging. 

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Why though 5 game into year 2? I wouldn't he calling for heads thats for sure 

Coach of the year and a former Nebraska player and you are down on him?  The reason we are in this situtation is because of the turnover of the staff every 3-5 years.  If you think you are going to get a better coach to come to Nebraska, I think you are kidding yourself.  Nebraska won in the last decade because of consistency and doing things the Nebraska way.  Nebraska has gotten away from that and the past twenty years are proof!!!  It's going to take consistency and time to change this program into a top ten program. 

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, Whs from cb said:

Coach of the year and a former Nebraska player and you are down on him?  The reason we are in this situtation is because of the turnover of the staff every 3-5 years.  If you think you are going to get a better coach to come to Nebraska, I think you are kidding yourself.  Nebraska won in the last decade because of consistency and doing things the Nebraska way.  Nebraska has gotten away from that and the past twenty years are proof!!!  It's going to take consistency and time to change this program into a top ten program. 

I agree but you can’t hang on to coaches who may be in over there head just to prove the consistency point. Dabo turned the corner when he got a new D coordinator. 

But could Frost ever fire one of his buddies. It’s tough- the program or your buddy. Being friends with the staff but blind him from what needs done. Not saying we are there yet but if things don’t start trending in the right direction 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, lo country said:

That's why Frost is the right hire.

Name a successful BIG school that's not a mega-donor school with a huge population base? Making big decisions based on what just happened against Texas of Ohio would be foolish. They're having a big year...why they don't have one every year considering the stacked deck is a mystery. 

Biggest concerns right now...making the O Line work, a consistent running game that doesn't rely on trickery, developing some landshark OLB's like Lavonte David who can run around and shut the run down.

1 hour ago, Whs from cb said:

Check my posts lol I'm saying the opposite of what you think im saying. Regardless the coach its too early to be calling for heads and especially frosts. Im with ya

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I mean that was a pretty strong OSU team I thought that we saw last night.  Their speed as apparent.  Not only did they have a solid qb  but their wide receiver's all looked very impressive as did their OL.  If they keep playing like that their a playoff team for sure.

Yes....

People are melting down over being beat bad by a very very good team. 

Before this game, very few gave us a chance to win this game. Every expert in the Expert Picks thread picked OSU. Vegas had us losing by a long ways. 

Im not sure why everyone now is acting like the result was some major shock to the system. 

• Thanks 2
49 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

That's why Frost is the right hire.

Name a successful BIG school that's not a mega-donor school with a huge population base? Making big decisions based on what just happened against Texas of Ohio would be foolish. They're having a big year...why they don't have one every year considering the stacked deck is a mystery. 

Biggest concerns right now...making the O Line work, a consistent running game that doesn't rely on trickery, developing some landshark OLB's like Lavonte David who can run around and shut the run down.

OL improving is huge...I think we have some pieces, but not a complete set...JoJo is going to be really good.  I'd like to see us keep him on the field as much as humanly possible to include letting him be the starting OLB and not just the Cisco/Peso/Nickle.  I think he could be that land shark they need.  he appears to play "angry".  I like that!

The new fresh should be a upgrade on OL, BUT IMHO, they need to get some playing time now.  Or next year will be "as soon as they get experience".....

Dana Holgorsen just asked his starting QB and WR (King and Corbin) both seniors to sit out the remainder of the year after the 1-3 start so they will be back next year with a more improved team...Year 2 under Dana.  Not saying we do this, but we need to use the whole 4 game rule to the best of our advantage.  I can't imagine that a kid like Benhart (who has played OL his whole career) could do worse than Jurgens (a TE who is starting at center for the first time ever).  

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Whs from cb said:

Bingo!  Since TO retired, Bo and his staff are the longest tenured staff at just seven years.  Since the B1G has been in East West divisions, the West has been won by three teams:  Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Iowa.  Northwestern and Iowa have coaches who have been there well over a decade.  Wisconsin has had different coaches, but their AD has been there for decades and he pretty much runs the football program.  We're never going to get out of the hole we find ourselves in by replacing coaches and staff every three to seven years. 

We're in the midst of a complete and total rebuild.  Frost has recruited some very special players into this program.  However, there are two units in football that you can't just recruit your way out of which is the OL and DL.  These two units have to be built.  There are very few offensive or defensive linemen who can make the leap from high school to freshman in college and be dominating.  Frost played behind one of the greatest OL ever at Nebraska, and he's a smart guy.  It's going to take four to five years minimum to get those two units up to where they need to be.  We can have the absolute best skill players in the country and still struggle if we're losing the trench war. 

I also believe it is way too early to be calling for new assistants.  I'm old enough to remember a time when fans were calling for Charlie McBride's head.  We're better than we were a year ago at this time.  I have no doubt that next year through five games we'll be better than we are right now.  It's a process.  This was never going to be an easy or fast turnaround.

• Plus1 3