*** 2019 Game 7 "Expert" Picks: Nebraska at Minnesota ***

Saunders

45 minutes ago, everybody knows my name said:

Predictions: put em in your pipe and smoke em.  If Minnesota wins it'll be because the passing game and the running game both finally worked in the same game.  And if Nebraska wins, it will be because _______________________. (finish the sentence for me)

they stayed in a Holiday Inn Express the night before the game? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, everybody knows my name said:

Predictions: put em in your pipe and smoke em.  If Minnesota wins it'll be because the passing game and the running game both finally worked in the same game.  And if Nebraska wins, it will be because _______________________. (finish the sentence for me)

They scored more points than Minnesota. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, teachercd said:

The good news...

Minny has a statue at QB (always like our chances when that is the case) 

The bad news...

I still "feel" like this is a game that the Huskers lose for no reason.

It's the same qb who gave us a lot of trouble with option runs last year when he came in.. Not a statue. I expect us to be better prepared this year, last year we'd clearly focused on the statue who started that game. 

1 hour ago, GBRFAN said:

....NU scored more points and Minny sucks.

still have fond memories of the game back around 1980 win every play was a TD for NU

in all seriousness. 

... NU plays fast tempo with 1 of 2 backup QBs and Minny D has no answer in the final 22 minutes of the game due to the pace of play.

Weather dependent, this might be a great plan. Press the pace and hit them quick and often.  

11 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

It's the same qb who gave us a lot of trouble with option runs last year when he came in.. Not a statue. I expect us to be better prepared this year, last year we'd clearly focused on the statue who started that game. 

He is a statue.

He has -41 yards rushing.

Wait...but last year he rushed for 51 yards...on 41 attempts.  

The only guy that things this dude is not a statue is Mike Riley...Riley would classify him as a true "Duel Threat"

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

He is a statue.

He has -41 yards rushing.

Sacks are 2/3rds of his rushing attempts this year. So clearly he is running less this year, but that's not the same as being slow. Probably more a side effect of not having a healthy backup, but he had 4 for 35 and a TD in one half against us last year. I'm not claiming he's Justin Fields, but he ran effectively in the 3rd quarter last year - there were also some read option gives that opened up because he was getting 8-9 a pop. If we treat him like a statue he's more than capable of going all Clayton Thorson and getting 80% of his season rushing total on us.

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

Sacks are 2/3rds of his rushing attempts this year. So clearly he is running less this year, but that's not the same as being slow. Probably more a side effect of not having a healthy backup, but he had 4 for 35 and a TD in one half against us last year. I'm not claiming he's Justin Fields, but he ran effectively in the 3rd quarter last year - there were also some read option gives that opened up because he was getting 8-9 a pop. If we treat him like a statue he's more than capable of going all Clayton Thorson and getting 80% of his season rushing total on us.

Hmmm

Last year...41 attempts for 51 yards.

Like I said...The only guy that things this dude is not a statue is Mike Riley...Riley would classify him as a true "Duel Threat"

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Hmmm

Last year...41 attempts for 51 yards.

70% of which came against us. I guess I just have a different definition of "statue" - I'm thinking Dwayne Haskins, where we gave him 20 yards of open field and he ran for 1 and then almost broke his leg sliding down. He's not a dual threat, but he's not Peyton Manning.