The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

15 hours ago, hunter49 said:

rumor is Alabama QB will be getting a cool million this season. this is professional football, not college anymore

You must have missed it.  Go back a page.  There is a Texas HS player who might forego his senior year, and join Ohio State this year.  For the possible $1 mil in NIL opportunity.  Pretty impressive.  But he is the #1 recruit.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, admo said:

You must have missed it.  Go back a page.  There is a Texas HS player who might forego his senior year, and join Ohio State this year.  For the possible $1 mil in NIL opportunity.  Pretty impressive.  But he is the #1 recruit.

Nothing to see here- NIL wont change college football at all or recruiting either ! :cheers

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Nothing to see here- NIL wont change college football at all or recruiting:cheers

Oh I know, I'm not hinting that.  I know he de-committed from Texas after the Red River game.  I just think it's pretty awesome to know there is opportunity for NIL the sooner he gets on campus. 

1 hour ago, admo said:

i saw that one too. what have we done?  created a monster. more focus on the endorsement than playing the game?

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

i saw that one too. what have we done?  created a monster. more focus on the endorsement than playing the game?

It stinks.

At the end of the day- the rules are the rules and NU needs to respond aggressively with a team that helps athletes understand how to brand and make money. Secondly they need to figure out a way within the rules to help amalgamate the fans and businesses so they can engage so the players can make as much as is humanly possible. That will be the fuel that drives recruiting in the future. It is what it is. 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

It stinks.

At the end of the day- the rules are the rules and NU needs to respond aggressively with a team that helps athletes understand how to brand and make money. Secondly they need to figure out a way within the rules to help amalgamate the fans and businesses so they can engage so the players can make as much as is humanly possible. That will be the fuel that drives recruiting in the future. It is what it is. 

and it sucks

• Plus1 2

10 hours ago, hunter49 said:

I think in 2 years it will all go away, and get replaced with a CFB (Athletics) salary.  Schools will have to pay it. 

For example:  250 student athletes; $24,000 year paid allowance (during school year) plus the normal scholarship stuff.  That's $6 million a year;  Or the equivalent of a first quarter football game played at El Paso (Bowl Game with a 6-6 record).  The money is there for the students.  It always has been.

4 hours ago, admo said:

I think in 2 years it will all go away, and get replaced with a CFB (Athletics) salary.  Schools will have to pay it. 

For example:  250 student athletes; $24,000 year paid allowance (during school year) plus the normal scholarship stuff.  That's $6 million a year;  Or the equivalent of a first quarter football game played at El Paso (Bowl Game with a 6-6 record).  The money is there for the students.  It always has been.

NOT true. 

". According to the NCAA, among the 65 autonomy schools in Division I, only 25 recorded a positive net generated revenue in 2019."

https://www.bestcolleges.com/blog/do-college-sports-make-money/

I'm curious if these guys really have deals that are as big as they are claiming.

Saban made quite a stir with his comments but others have noted that there has been basically nothing announced by any of the companies that have supposedly signed their QB which seems ... odd.

• Plus1 1