Burrow let us discuss

KazLong

48 minutes ago, lo country said:

Joe had Joe...And a stable of NFL draft picks....What did NU have to support him?  Joe's Senior year looks like the outlier compared to his first 3.  I would have taken a returning AM over returning JB in 2019 based on 2018 numbers.  Coach O got Brady who completely revamped the passing game and built that O around JB.  I don't think NU currently has the coaching talent that LSU has/had to initiate that type of change in one year.  Not yet.  

JB wasn't even on the Vegas radar for Heisman to start 2019.  Guess who was....

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Heisman-Trophy-Vegas-odds-2019-Tua-Tagovailoa-Trevor-Lawrence-Adrian-Martinez-129631711/#129631711_19

I'm not saying I fault us for the choice.  I still think it was the right choice with the information available.

But that doesn't mean people are just completely making stuff up when they point that out.  It's pretty easy to see how an outsider could look at the situation and question the decision.

55 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm not saying I fault us for the choice.  I still think it was the right choice with the information available.

But that doesn't mean people are just completely making stuff up when they point that out.  It's pretty easy to see how an outsider could look at the situation and question the decision.

Gotcha.  My bad.  

1 million percent agree with the bolded.  They just see the NU ties, opportunities and recent success and automatically say NU blew it.  I guess it still keeps us in the media!

1 hour ago, lo country said:

Read a quote that LSU knew what they got when they got Joe.....Recruited by another Nebraska guy...

"You know, I think they found me," said Burrow, immediately pointing to the way Busch sold him to LSU head coach Ed Orgeron. "Coach Busch stood on the table for me with Coach 'O.' He was like, 'If we get this guy, we're going to win the national championship.'" 

That's almost the way Busch remembers it.

"I know this for sure: I told Coach Orgeron we'll get to the (four-team) playoff for sure if we get Joe," Busch recalls. "I believe I told Joe we'll win it all if we get him. I knew how good we were around him. I knew we had dudes. But the biggest thing, and the reason I was on the table for Joe so hard, was because I knew how competitive and how tough he was."

https://www.themountaineer.com/sports/national/steven-m-sipple-tip-of-the-cap-to-bill-busch-who-pulled-off-one-of/article_342cf7fd-259a-5988-b139-ade853528a2b.html

I wouldn’t say that about the Husker staff since we changed out the WR/OC coach. 

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wouldn’t say that about the Husker staff since we changed out the WR/OC coach. 

And I am hoping to see drastic improvement from day one TBH.  Everything I read (pre-season BS pumping) really seems like Lubick and Auston want the O to go in a different direction than the last 2 seasons.  Same scheme, but achieving it in a different manner.

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

And I am hoping to see drastic improvement from day one TBH.  Everything I read (pre-season BS pumping) really seems like Lubick and Auston want the O to go in a different direction than the last 2 seasons.  Same scheme, but achieving it in a different manner.

I could see Frost trying to lean more on the o-line and try to be a more physical running team. Maybe Frost did a lot of film review after the season and saw that o-line was progressing at the end of the season and can be a strength of the offense. With Frost as a former QB and a WR as his main offensive assistant, I can see why NU tried to attack thru the air. With Austin given more responsibility in the offense, maybe he will have Frost’s ear more to rely on the run game. Now we just need some young RB’s to step up and add depth behind Mills. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Why is Wingo a douchebag?  For reporting something Burrow has been telling people?  One can argue Frost is the douchebag in this scenario for not recognizing talent and improving the team when he had a chance.  

That would be an interesting argument and a waste of time - do you know the definition of douchebag?

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I could see Frost trying to lean more on the o-line and try to be a more physical running team. Maybe Frost did a lot of film review after the season and saw that o-line was progressing at the end of the season and can be a strength of the offense. With Frost as a former QB and a WR as his main offensive assistant, I can see why NU tried to attack thru the air. With Austin given more responsibility in the offense, maybe he will have Frost’s ear more to rely on the run game. Now we just need some young RB’s to step up and add depth behind Mills. 

I am really excited to see Austin's influence.  In interviews, he seemed to allude (maybe my wishful reading) that he really wasn't in a position last season to really give input in the "scheme".  I am guessing that Frost after year 2 (because of the release of Walter's) realized something needs to change. I know he won't do a wholesale change, but some tweaks to go with our strengths....As you mentioned, the OL did improve.  Lean on the run.  Wan'dale and JD had like 53% off our receiving yards.  Take that down to just the WR and they combined for almost 1400 yards.  The next closest (Noa) had a little over 250.....Hard to have a passing attack with such a depleted and virtually non-existent receiver corp.....Joping to see Mills evolve like OZ.  Really find his groove. BUT we need some serious 2 deep across the board for sure.

If we could improve in ST play (actually acknowledge it is a phase of the game) 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, lo country said:

Read a quote that LSU knew what they got when they got Joe.....Recruited by another Nebraska guy...

"You know, I think they found me," said Burrow, immediately pointing to the way Busch sold him to LSU head coach Ed Orgeron. "Coach Busch stood on the table for me with Coach 'O.' He was like, 'If we get this guy, we're going to win the national championship.'" 

That's almost the way Busch remembers it.

"I know this for sure: I told Coach Orgeron we'll get to the (four-team) playoff for sure if we get Joe," Busch recalls. "I believe I told Joe we'll win it all if we get him. I knew how good we were around him. I knew we had dudes. But the biggest thing, and the reason I was on the table for Joe so hard, was because I knew how competitive and how tough he was."

https://www.themountaineer.com/sports/national/steven-m-sipple-tip-of-the-cap-to-bill-busch-who-pulled-off-one-of/article_342cf7fd-259a-5988-b139-ade853528a2b.html

Why would we want a guy like that? ;)

• Haha 1

Just now, southernoregonhusker said:

Don't get sucked into the hype.  It'll just hurt more later.

I am trying so hard not to.  The Coronavirus really put the brakes on the hype train. Never got a chance to leave the station.  Might have been the best thing for NU football.  Come back in the fall (I am hopeful) and just grind it out.  

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Yes, it's a derogatory term Wingo hasn't earned in this instance.  Does it mean something different in the midwest?

It hardly seemed relevant enough to be the very first thing you say after the first pick in the draft.  So yeah I think he is a douche for being a pot stirrer.  Typical espn ratings based nonsense. 

Burrow also had his shot to come to Nebraska out of hs so his whole story just seems like a fake chip on the shoulder type deal. 

• Plus1 3