The Political Cartoon Thread

19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Is that Karl Marx? Who lived in Germany and England? 

Countries famous for empty plates? 

Dude (or should I say Guy)... it's a meme/cartoon thread. You don't have to follow me around and respond because you're not gonna get anywhere. And I'm sure you're being purposefully obtuse here, so figure it out. It's funny. 

• Plus1 3
On 2/18/2020 at 10:10 AM, Frott Scost said:

Youre operating under the assumption that small business would be able to compete with corporations in this fantasy world. Corporations would stomp out small business in a heartbeat. 

Pssst....most small business's are incorporated...thus....corporations.

Might need a clarification on what you're talking bout.

• Plus1 1

They were not shut down by Wal Mart...they were shut down by consumers.  

People look at this in such an odd way.  

We have thread after thread after thread about how horrible DirectTV and Cox have become because of their price gouging...then we have reply after reply of tricks to get your bill lowered...then we have reply after reply that offer up cheaper alternatives...and we all "plus 1" it and thank the people.

But when it comes to the Mom and Pop piggly wiggly shop that was charging 3 times as much for some cereal...we get mad at Wal Mart for offering the same product for way less and with more convenient hours. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

They were not shut down by Wal Mart...they were shut down by consumers.  

People look at this in such an odd way.  

We have thread after thread after thread about how horrible DirectTV and Cox have become because of their price gouging...then we have reply after reply of tricks to get your bill lowered...then we have reply after reply that offer up cheaper alternatives...and we all "plus 1" it and thank the people.

But when it comes to the Mom and Pop piggly wiggly shop that was charging 3 times as much for some cereal...we get mad at Wal Mart for offering the same product for way less and with more convenient hours. 

Reminded me of this

9NvY-uRuWQz5Bw7Zve6VyNQua9CgApyMVn5UvYd7

Google is so hard.

New Data Shows Walmart’s Dominance in Local Grocery Markets

Walmart sells 50 percent or more of all groceries in one in every ten metropolitan areas and nearly one in three “micropolitan” areas across the country, according to a report by the Institute for Local Self-Reliance, out last week. In 38 of these regions, Walmart sells 70 percent or more of all groceries.

“It’s a sizable subset of American communities in which Walmart has this grip on the food system,” says Stacy Mitchell, Co-Director of the Institute for Local Self-Reliance and the report’s author. This grip spells fewer food choices for these communities and less opportunity for local businesses.

Walmart drives out local competitors by selling goods at a loss, relying on Wall Street backing and revenue from other stores to make up the difference. As the largest U.S. food retailer in history, Walmart also leverages its unprecedented size to force suppliers to accept lower prices and pay extra fees, short-changing workers and farmers along the supply chain.

The U.S. has laws on the books that prohibit this type of supplier intimidation and predatory pricing. But over the past forty years, federal agencies simply stopped enforcing them, allowing Walmart and other retailers like Amazon to crush their competition, bully suppliers, and further expand.

The chain often amasses such local control by selling goods at a loss to drive out local businesses. “Walmart can come into a community, sell below cost, and lose money at that location indefinitely,” explains Mitchell. “A competing independent business can’t lose money, they can only go so long … and they lose that fight every single time no matter how good they are or how competitive they are. They lose solely because they’re small.”

Fewer competing grocery stores means Walmart has an enormous amount of power to dictate what foods are available in these communities, shaping what people eat but also what food is produced, how, and by whom. It also means communities may be paying more for groceries in the long run, as several lawsuits have alleged that Walmart increased prices once it was the only game in town.

Walmart’s growing size also gives the chain incredible buyer power to hoard more of the food dollar at the expense of workers and producers. In 1990, when Walmart barely sold any groceries, ranchers received nearly 60 cents of every dollar spent on beef, while retailers received 33 cents. By 2009, Walmart had come to sell 23 percent of groceries, and ranchers’ share of the beef dollar shrunk to 42 cents while retailers’ share grew to 49 cents.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Dude (or should I say Guy)... it's a meme/cartoon thread. You don't have to follow me around and respond because you're not gonna get anywhere. And I'm sure you're being purposefully obtuse here, so figure it out. It's funny. 

Oh I know I'm not going to get anywhere. 

Also, I'm not following you around. You're just here.

Also, because it's a cartoon thread, and cartoons are supposed to be funny, I'm trying my best to find the funny.

You know what MIGHT be funny? You explaining why that cartoon is funny. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Google is so hard.

As a consumer I want the best product at the cheapest price (I am sure you do as well).  Consumers, US, put mom and pop stores out of business.  I made the choice to buy cheaper products.  

Look, you are more than welcome to buy more expensive apples.  

Here you go!  10 dollar apples.  https://www.freshdirect.com/pdp.jsp?productId=fru_apl_hnycrsp_org4&catId=toprated_fru

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Oh I know I'm not going to get anywhere. 

Also, I'm not following you around. You're just here.

Also, because it's a cartoon thread, and cartoons are supposed to be funny, I'm trying my best to find the funny.

You know what MIGHT be funny? You explaining why that cartoon is funny. 

Most of your posts are awesome but like the one of the rules of comedy is not having to explain the joke.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Exactly. Good comedy speaks for itself.

But absent good comedy, it would at the very least be amusing to watch ActualCornHusker explain the joke.

Yeah, I get what you are saying (I think you are talking about the Marx one?) but Marx, like more than a few historical figures have sort of become known for so many different things that they really didn't stand for or believe in.

• Plus1 2

I was going to put this in the Primary thread but I couldn't.

Panicking Aides Finally Locate Biden At Wrong Venue Following Cirque Du Soleil Performers Onstage

OjGXFu7.jpg

After frantically searching for the former vice president in the hours leading up to Wednesday night’s debate, panicked campaign aides reportedly located Joe Biden at Las Vegas’ Treasure Island Hotel, where the candidate appeared to have followed a Cirque du Soleil troupe onstage. “There he is, up there—those circus clowns are tossing him back and forth,” said visibly relieved senior adviser Anita Dunn, waving her arms at the seven-term former U.S. senator, who was attempting to make an impassioned speech about his legislative record despite being severely entangled in aerial silks and dangling 50 feet in the air. “Even if we got him down from there right now, we still wouldn’t make it to the debate venue on time, and he does seem to be shouting his most important talking points at the guys playing those big Japanese drums and the two musclemen flying around on bungees. To be honest, I haven’t seen him looking this coherent in a long time. Why don’t we just let the vice president have a nice night for once?” At press time, Biden was overheard berating a unicycle rider he “didn’t like the looks of” from the confines of a large, whimsical birdcage.

• Haha 2