Every Swing/Screen Pass of the 2019 Season

knapplc

4 hours ago, WVhuskerXX said:

Video reminds you just how special Wan'Dale can be when he is healthy. 

Hopefully we have enough depth this year that we don't have to use him as a makeshift RB.

• Plus1 1

This play can be pretty important in a spread offense. Because in a spread offense you're trying to...you know...spread the field.

If you execute the play right (where your QB throws the ball well and guys actually block), it's a nice run replacement play. The defense's OLBs start spreading out wide to account for this, then you call a B Gap running play up the middle and gash em that way. 

I'm positive this is what Frost wants to do. We just need to be a little bit better at executing it.

• Plus1 3
16 minutes ago, Undone said:

This play can be pretty important in a spread offense. Because in a spread offense you're trying to...you know...spread the field.

If you execute the play right (where your QB throws the ball well and guys actually block), it's a nice run replacement play. The defense's OLBs start spreading out wide to account for this, then you call a B Gap running play up the middle and gash em that way. 

I'm positive this is what Frost wants to do. We just need to be a little bit better at executing it.

Yep.  It's very similar to the concept of our old option plays.  Gets the ball to the outside quickly and makes the defense defend sideline to sideline.

• Plus1 2
37 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep.  It's very similar to the concept of our old option plays.  Gets the ball to the outside quickly and makes the defense defend sideline to sideline.

And what would TO do after running a number of going wide on option plays?  He would strike with a play action pass deep to TE or WB, or do a quick hitter to the full back.  That's what Frost is trying to establish, and in a lot of games, the zone run game improved after spreading the defense wide.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

And what would TO do after running a number of going wide on option plays?  He would strike with a play action pass deep to TE or WB, or do a quick hitter to the full back.  That's what Frost is trying to establish, and in a lot of games, the zone run game improved after spreading the defense wide.

My favorite play was after we'd suck the defense up with Option after Option was when the QB stopped, popped back a step, then tossed it to a (usually) wide open TE.  Frazier was the best at this.

• Plus1 2

Yes good plays are sequenced to draw the defense into expecting one place of attack and suddenly hitting another.   Finding weak points and even lulling defenders into being out of position.  Even a couple misteps can create creases allowing plays to work much better.  Playcalling is as much art and feel sometimes as it is science.  Sometimes plays that net only a yard or two are the keys to

openinf up the big plays later on.  

• Plus1 1

TO play calls were easy for me to follow and predict but opponents rarely could find ways to deal with it.  Frank had some good success as well but frequently found himself playing checkers with chess pieces.  Callahan had some excellent offensive schemes but I thot was too complicated for college level players.  Many times the defenses just stayed basic vs his motions and so on and didnt bite on the shifts and trickery.  His screen game and two minute offenses were elite.  But he had trouble it seemed in just establishing a basic offense to start games.  

Beck and Watson did good things at times but rhythm was inconsistent.  Riley was very random which made it hard to predict or anticipate but results were likewise.  I dont think Ive seen enough of Frost yet to say much.  I cant judge from watching a few TV games and radio coverage is so inadequate in the play by play i just dont have a feel yet.  But I have found myself frustrated by play calls on the opponents end of the field on most drives.  I wont question much yet as i am not seeing the games live in person.  

6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That’s what Frost wants....and what he’s working towards. 

Is there a breakdown on which of our QBs makes this throw more consistently?

Just like the bad snaps throwing off the timing of the play, hitting the guy in stride would probably help even more.

I'm guessing the coaches (or armchair coaches like me) tend to give 2AM the nod because he seems to be able to make the ''impossible throws'', but if the screens or Swing passes make up so much of our plays, maybe we need to adjust who we think should be playing on certain situations. 

As some have said, it's a play to set up other plays, notably inside zone, where were sort trash there. Frost's intent is to get defenders out of the box and this is one way to do so. The biggest issues were perimeter blocking and not having deep threats down the field.

The one that bothers me the most was the pass to Mills during the Wisconsin game where Baun knew it was going to him, cheated to the flat(Allen missed his block and he missed many this past season) and hit DM so hard the ball flew damn near out of south stadium(exaggeration). I feel there was already enough film and games played that Iowa just sat on the play for the most part.

A part of me feels the play at the 9:00 mark kept us out of a bowl. Still think that was a shaky playcall. You have a QB that had been suspect with his decision making up to that point, while being out for several weeks. Your team had been reeling and needing confidence, and you needed to do whatever was necessary to build the biggest lead possible because your defense had proved time and time again that it was  prone to falling apart later in games. 2 yards from the endzone in that situation was not the time to call that play when the team was fighting for bowl eligibility.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:24 PM, FearAmeer said:

Wow these results are way better then I remember them being. Nothing much more to say because people on the 1st page already summed it up pretty well and I think everyone has the same general agreement. 

Recency bias from the Iowa game makes everyone think it’s such a terrible play to run. 

• Plus1 1