The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

23 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

My son's college made sure we all knew they weren't dropping the mask mandate anytime soon.  I know parents have asked what are the parameters of dropping it.

My son has worm a mask his entire college career.

They have to be vaccinated and boosted to be on campus.  Everybody.

The masks have to be an N95.

Wow.  If the students had to be vaccinated and boosted to be on campus, why have a mask mandate in addition?  What's the purpose of mandating wearing a mask then?  Extra strength protection? 

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, admo said:

Wow.  If the students had to be vaccinated and boosted to be on campus, why have a mask mandate in addition?  What's the purpose of mandating wearing a mask then?  Extra strength protection? 

Probably to protect those who although immunized are also high risk and immunocompromised, and the fact that Omicron was spreading quickly even in vaccinated people.  Many teachers, students, staff etc also have little ones at home who can not yet (or weren't yet then) able to be vaccinated.

The vaccine is only 85%ish effective (depending on which one you had and when you were boosted), so in situations where there are many in a poorly ventilated room, with omicron especially masks still make a lot of sense.  And, let's be honest, college students aren't the most cautious - their level of compliance with masks outside of classrooms/dorms where masks were mandated would likely also make many high risk for transmission.  And we knew many with omicron specifically were infected but not symptomatic.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Probably to protect those who although immunized are also high risk and immunocompromised, and the fact that Omicron was spreading quickly even in vaccinated people.  Many teachers, students, staff etc also have little ones at home who can not yet (or weren't yet then) able to be vaccinated.

The vaccine is only 85%ish effective (depending on which one you had and when you were boosted), so in situations where there are many in a poorly ventilated room, with omicron especially masks still make a lot of sense.  And, let's be honest, college students aren't the most cautious - their level of compliance with masks outside of classrooms/dorms where masks were mandated would likely also make many high risk for transmission.  And we knew many with omicron specifically were infected but not symptomatic.

Or it could be time to make safety the responsibility of the individual. An N95 mask protects you and others. If you’re triple vaxxed and wearing a high grade mask, I think you’ve done all you can do. 

immunocompromised people are at risk everyday. They walked a gauntlet before, during, and will after covid. Community spread is falling fast. If you don’t at least have a plan at this point for ending a mask mandate, then I would argue you never will…which is the right of any business. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Eh, this is just University CYA stuff (for potential lawsuits).  I do understand what you are getting at though. 

Funny how the Science & recommendations keep changing.  I feel bad for the students.

1. Masks...
2. vaccinations...
3. vaccinations with boosters....
4. vaccinations with boosters and masks.  

5. ?

6. ?

• Plus1 4

I agree it's likely time for mandates to be gone, but I do think it was prudent during the omicron surge and before when we've been trying to get folks immunized.

I think you'll see lots of folks continue to wear them - hopefully all the anti mask nazi's understand folks will make that decision based on risk of that person or their family members.  

I work with transplant patients and immunocompromised folks, and yes they run the gauntlet daily, but this was a very different scale of risk for them, and still is; many have said it was a reassuring time for them to have folks be as careful out and about as they have to be each day.  

It would have been nice for a big takeaway of all this to be that folks become more aware of their neighbors and willingly try to do things to help them avoid harm.  

• Thanks 4
7 minutes ago, admo said:

Eh, this is just University CYA stuff (for potential lawsuits).  I do understand what you are getting at though. 

Funny how the Science & recommendations keep changing.  I feel bad for the students.

1. Masks...
2. vaccinations...

5. ?

6. ?

And it will continue to change and evolve as we learn more.  

I'd argue they're getting a good lesson about life, thinking about others, protecting themselves, about how making a small sacrifice personally one can help someone else - could be an excellent time to learn about how to research and read - instead it's become a big political issue.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
Just now, NM11046 said:

And it will continue to change and evolve as we learn more.  

I'd argue they're getting a good lesson about life, thinking about others, protecting themselves, about how making a small sacrifice personally one can help someone else - could be an excellent time to learn about how to research and read - instead it's become a big political issue.

Sadly this won't happen.

We will all think of ourselves.  We will all still drive over the speed limit because "we are safe drivers", we will roll stop signs and speed up to get through a yellow.

It will just go back to the same.

• Plus1 4
38 minutes ago, admo said:

1. Masks...
2. vaccinations...

5. ?

6. ?

The answer you seek is body condoms.  We all need to wear body condoms.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2