The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Why?   They do it all the time for all other illnesses as well.  I mean if a doctor looks at a patient that died and sees all of the symptoms from COVID is it really a reach to say they died as a result of it?

I'm just curious why it means so much to leave it off?

A large portion of these are deaths at home.  I could be wrong, but many of those do not have a doctor involved to make the determination.  NYC has said that deaths at home have sky rocketed from 25 per day to over 250 per day.  So, it's safe to say a lot of those could be from COVID.  However, it's not like a doctor has determined it by looking at the symptoms.

10 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Deaths ALWAYS have a doctor signing off.  The medical examiner is a doctor and they sign the death certificate. 

...you are incorrect, at least with regards to Nebraska. Often a medical professional isn't even involved if the unattended death is attributed to natural causes.

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

(2) The physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner shall have the responsibility and duty to complete and sign by electronic means pursuant to section 71-603.01, within twenty-four hours from the time of death, that part of the certificate of death entitled medical certificate of death. In the case of a death when no person licensed as a physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner was in attendance, the funeral director and embalmer shall refer the case to the county attorney who shall have the responsibility and duty to complete and sign the death certificate by electronic means pursuant to section 71-603.01.

https://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=71-605

I mean, kind of...the certificate is ultimately signed by a non-medical person...but after completion by a medical person.

Have you seen the reports on how overwhelmed NYC doctors and coroners are?  If I'm a doctor and I have 100 patients I'm scrambling to keep alive, I'm not going to be paying too much attention to exactly what the body appears to have died from at home.  I'm signing it and moving on to someone I can actually help.

6 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Not sure how this stuff is a surprise to you all.  It's been done in the medical field for a long time as far as I know.  Once again, this is my limited knowledge on it (I worked in healthcare IT for about 8 years) so take it for what its worth.

It's not a surprise.  I used to work in healthcare and have actually helped with an autopsy.  

18 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

(2) The physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner shall have the responsibility and duty to complete and sign by electronic means pursuant to section 71-603.01, within twenty-four hours from the time of death, that part of the certificate of death entitled medical certificate of death. In the case of a death when no person licensed as a physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner was in attendance, the funeral director and embalmer shall refer the case to the county attorney who shall have the responsibility and duty to complete and sign the death certificate by electronic means pursuant to section 71-603.01.

https://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=71-605

I mean, kind of...the certificate is ultimately signed by a non-medical person...but after completion by a medical person.

look at the bold above...in unattended deaths, the County Attorney is the only one that signs. 

41 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Yeah I know, that's for places that don't have hospitals and small populations. 

The first part of the statute shows that "(2) The physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner shall have the responsibility and duty to complete and sign by electronic means pursuant to section 71-603.01, within twenty-four hours from the time of death, that part of the certificate of death entitled medical certificate of death"

So, I understand in some areas, MEs are scarce and sometimes won't sign off on things.  Probably not in NYC.

Sad part is, people arguing against adding 3700 people to the death count in NYC is that you guys think this matters at all...it doesn't.  People are still dying and who cares if the figure is 3700 off?  It's still bad and still sucks.

:bang you evidently don't understand...if the death is NOT ATTENDED by a medical professional, or in a MEDICAL FACILITY, the County Attorney is the coroner, and signs the death certificate. It is that way in Omaha, Lincoln, Grand Island etc...all of whom have hospitals and not so small populations. These 3700 were brought in to a morgue because they died UNATTENDED in their home, or car, or alley for all we know with no attending physician. 

I do agree that in the long run it probably does not matter.

Just now, BlitzFirst said:

Yes, I do understand that.  And when there is a death in a home, an ambulance is dispatched typically to take the body which is subsequently transported to a Hospital.

This doesn't always happen and in those cases, the above applies.  How often do you think that happens in NYC?

95% of the time they are NOT transported to a hospital. An EMT hooks the deceased up to a heart monitor, receives a flat line, calls time of death and a funeral home is dispatched to the scene to take the body. (this is Nebraska I refer to...but cannot imagine much difference anywhere else)