The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

11 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

There was discussion of this earlier:

What’s not in the bill: Liability protection for companies whose employees get coronavirus, which Republicans have backed for months, was not including in the final negotiations or bill; Democrats laid aside sizable funds for state and local governments in return.

I don't think Liability protection is needed. Any buisness who makes a good faith effort should have nothing to worry about in the court of law, and even with protection is still going to have to pay legal fees to have the case thrown out. I can think of only one reason why this is being called for so badly by the right. So that they can grant immunity for buisnesses to literally do nothing and idiotically protest health mandates from local governments.

When has anybody won a lawsuit for catching a cold, the flu, or measles at work?

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Defense Budget - Over $600,000,000,000. More than the next 7 countries COMBINED!!!

Definitely room for fraud and waste in there.  Also wish we would stop using our budget to be the worlds policeman.  Make some of these other countries realize that and they will start increasing their own defense

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Definitely room for fraud and waste in there.  Also wish we would stop using our budget to be the worlds policeman.  Make some of these other countries realize that and they will start increasing their own defense

The defense budget could be cut in half and we wouldn't be any less safe.

We could use some of that money for infrastructure, education and health care that actually benefits Americans and makes their lives better.

• Plus1 3

The reason we spend so much on defense, especially in other nations (especially NATO) is that we want future wars to be fought there, not here. 

I am not a huge fan of our defense spending, but that's the general philosophy behind having troops all over the world. If you attack America directly, we're going to open up a front at your front door. And you're going to have a bad day.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The defense budget could be cut in half and we wouldn't be any less safe.

We could use some of that money for infrastructure, education and health care that actually benefits Americans and makes their lives better.

I agree, however, the vast majority of military spending is soldier pay and various benefits. It turns out giving soldiers nearly unlimited benefits is expensive. 

It is nearly impossible to cut. Our country has a problem over glorifying the military. While I'm in favor of fair compensation to military members, the benefits are extremely generous and often full of fraud.

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The reason we spend so much on defense, especially in other nations (especially NATO) is that we want future wars to be fought there, not here. 

I am not a huge fan of our defense spending, but that's the general philosophy behind having troops all over the world. If you attack America directly, we're going to open up a front at your front door. And you're going to have a bad day.

We have nearly 800 military installations around the world.  That's insane and many times why we end up in conflicts when certain countries don't want us there.  Cut those down drastically, invest in aircraft carrier groups that can move around the world and deploy if needed.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I agree, however, the vast majority of military spending is soldier pay and various benefits. It turns out giving soldiers nearly unlimited benefits is expensive. 

It is nearly impossible to cut. Our country has a problem over glorifying the military. While I'm in favor of fair compensation to military members, the benefits are extremely generous and often full of fraud.

Cut the number of troops.  I fully support those who are in the military to get a decent pay and benefits.  BUT...we don't need nearly as many of those troops as we have.

You're right though.  It's impossible to cut because Republicans have to always look like their big mean army guys and the biggest patriots in the world.  Afterall, Patriots support out troops and love our military.

Democrats can't cut it because they will look weak and like they hate the military.

I have an unbelievable amount of respect for our troops and military.  I'm just so sick and tired of people trying to ram patriotism down our throats in the name of the military instead of making wise decisions about out troops, troop levels and budgets when we could be using that money for so many other things.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

And that costs money which everyone like @BigRedBusterloves to b!^@h and complain about without offering a solution to the problem you just described.   Only solution I have is to somehow get other nations to make their own safety more of a priority and stop relying so heavily on the US which probably isn’t even much of a solution. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Care to give examples. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

And that costs money which everyone like @BigRedBusterloves to b!^@h and complain about without offering a solution to the problem you just described.   Only solution I have is to somehow get other nations to make their own safety more of a priority and stop relying so heavily on the US which probably isn’t even much of a solution. 

I gave the basics of my solution in the post above yours.

Drastically cut the number of troops we feel we need.  Drastically cut back the number of military installations around the world.  Stop acting like we are so patriotic because we are glorifying the military so much and spending ourselves into bankruptcy by funding it.  Transition to a smaller, more mobile and cheaper military for around the world.

Invest that money domestically in programs that actually benefit Americans.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I gave the basics of my solution in the post above yours.

Drastically cut the number of troops we feel we need.  Drastically cut back the number of military installations around the world.  Stop acting like we are so patriotic because we are glorifying the military so much and spending ourselves into bankruptcy by funding it.  Transition to a smaller, more mobile and cheaper military for around the world.

Invest that money domestically in programs that actually benefit Americans.

Fair enough, that’s one way to go for sure.  With all the nuclear weapons available and a guaranteed mutually assured destruction with some countries leads to less troops since everyone can blow up everyone else by the press of a button 

• Plus1 1