The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

43 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Liability reform is not the purpose of emergency economic relief. Absolutely no reform of any kind is needed to provide economic relief for people or businesses.

Really? Does this not sound accurate?

"Indeed, the failure to include liability reform undermines the whole purpose of passing emergency economic relief. The billions spent keeping small businesses and nonprofits afloat will be for naught if they are ultimately shuttered trying to defend themselves from unfair lawsuits arising from a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic."

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

"Indeed, the failure to include liability reform undermines the whole purpose of passing emergency economic relief. The billions spent keeping small businesses and nonprofits afloat will be for naught if they are ultimately shuttered trying to defend themselves from unfair lawsuits arising from a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic."

No, it does not sound accurate. We don't need carte blanche protections for businesses that were grossly negligent, nor do business that were not negligent need protection.

And lawsuits (fair or unfair) can be filed for absolutely any reason, these imagined liability protections wouldn't stop that. It's possible additional liability protections would reduce the defense costs but not even that's certain. What's certain is that businesses with lots of money to defend themselves would win and be protected from their actions during the pandemic (both good and bad).

• Plus1 1

28 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I forgot to mention that these liability protections are NOT TIED TO economic relief. Liability protection can be passed in a separate bill if it's that important.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

No, it does not sound accurate. We don't need carte blanche protections for businesses that were grossly negligent, nor do business that were not negligent need protection.

And lawsuits (fair or unfair) can be filed for absolutely any reason, these imagined liability protections wouldn't stop that. It's possible additional liability protections would reduce the defense costs but not even that's certain. What's certain is that businesses with lots of money to defend themselves would win and be protected from their actions during the pandemic (both good and bad).

It specifically says small businesses and non-profits 

• Plus1 1

You know what I was thinking? I can't remember the last time I went into a restaurant and saw somebody smoking. I'm sure as a society, people threw their hissy fits about infringing on their rights to smoke when states made smoking restrictions, but I almost wonder how those attitudes have changed all these years later... Anyway, I guess some people can't wear a mask to protect others the same way some people won't put a cigarette away to protect others from second hand smoking. 

Too bad restaurants can't just put all the anti-makers in their own "smoking" area/room away from masked people when they serve. 

• Plus1 3