The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

14 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Law doesn’t have just a single payer so the comparison is mute.  In single payer, it’s just that.   You either accept what one payer has decided you are worth or you don’t work. 

Eh, while true in a sense, I liken a doctor who has decided to work within the single payer system akin to a lawyer who has decided to be a public defender, county attorney, district attorney, etc, rather than within a private practice. - I think for the point I'm making- that some doctors would go into private practice to maximize income, while some would go into a more relaxed care first practice to maximize quality of life- it's a close enough comparison. 

• Plus1 1
On 12/9/2020 at 9:31 AM, DevoHusker said:

meh...frontline RN's get tested constantly I assume. Plus, they hopefully have the proper PPE to keep them safe.

I know this was an old post, but I figured I'd chime in. My wife has been tested zero times for active COVID as an RN in an ICU. The hospital doesn't want to know, they just need bodies to work. They just fill out a standard symptom survey like any work site here. The only way they get a COVID test is if they go to a test site on their own. Initially the hospital was even refusing to test employees at their own test site. I know an employee who drove to get tested (she was extremely tired and clearly ill) and was literally turned away because they wouldn't test employees.

My wife did volunteer for an antibody test that the hospital was running for a study, but unless it benefits the hospital they don't care.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I know this was an old post, but I figured I'd chime in. My wife has been tested zero times for actived COVID as an RN in an ICU. The hospital doesn't want to know, they just need bodies to work. They just fill out a standard symptom survey like any work site here. The only way they get a COVID test is if they go to a test site on their own. Initially the hospital was even refusing to test employees at their own test site. I know an employee who drove to get tested (she was extremely tired and clearly ill) and was literally turned away because they wouldn't test employees.

My wife did volunteer for an antibody test that the hospital was running for a study, but unless it benefits the hospital they don't care.

Methodist Womens in Omaha is also this way, according to my RN wife.  The only time she was tested was on her own because she needed a negative test before having an outpatient procedure done.

6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I know this was an old post, but I figured I'd chime in. My wife has been tested zero times for actived COVID as an RN in an ICU. The hospital doesn't want to know, they just need bodies to work. They just fill out a standard symptom survey like any work site here. The only way they get a COVID test is if they go to a test site on their own. Initially the hospital was even refusing to test employees at their own test site. I know an employee who drove to get tested (she was extremely tired and clearly ill) and was literally turned away because they wouldn't test employees.

Nice real world example and thanks for sharing.   Pretty much mirrors what I see and hear at work too.  Plus anyone who takes a standard PcR test is out of work until the test comes back so it hurts with headcount. 

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I know this was an old post, but I figured I'd chime in. My wife has been tested zero times for active COVID as an RN in an ICU. The hospital doesn't want to know, they just need bodies to work. They just fill out a standard symptom survey like any work site here. The only way they get a COVID test is if they go to a test site on their own. Initially the hospital was even refusing to test employees at their own test site. I know an employee who drove to get tested (she was extremely tired and clearly ill) and was literally turned away because they wouldn't test employees.

Holy Buckets... I would not have guessed this. Thanks for the info!

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Holy Buckets... I would not have guessed this. Thanks for the info!

I have multiple relatives that work in the healthcare industry who were told even if they tested positive, but are asymptomatic they were to show up for work. My mother-in-law (who is a rn working directly with covid patients on the covid floor at a hospital) about 2 months ago got incredibly sick with a Kidney infection. Many of her symptoms aligned with covid. She was denied a covid test in the E.R.  

16 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I have multiple relatives that work in the healthcare industry who were told even if they tested positive, but are asymptomatic they were to show up for work. My mother-in-law (who is a rn working directly with covid patients on the covid floor at a hospital) about 2 months ago got incredibly sick with a Kidney infection. Many of her symptoms aligned with covid. She was denied a covid test in the E.R.  

Craziness

This is what people were talking about with "herd immunity" a few months ago. Not the kind developed via vaccine, but just basically getting everyone sick and hoping for the best. This kind of herd immunity has tens of thousands of deaths inbuilt. 

This is why so many Americans have died. No national mask mandate. No national stay-at-home mandate. Barely lip service to even wearing a mask, and hoax, hoax, hoax, hoax, hoax, all the way down.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

What is going on in a Chicago?  the $15 an hr assistant’s life isn’t as important as the teachers I guess if we are afraid of Covid in schools there. 

Well it is one of the worst run cities in the world (I wonder why?) and so the teachers union is corrupt but also in bed with the government so this not only keeps the teachers "happy" and at home and not working, but they also get to create more jobs and in the end the taxpayers pay more and the kids don't learn.

• Thanks 1