The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

31 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Well this wasn't hard.  It took all of one minute to find.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencenews.org/article/covid-coronavirus-aerosol-droplets-airborne-evolution/amp

Do whatever you want with the information.  I posted it in case anyone cared to reduce their exposure.  

Thank you for sharing it. Your link is from 2 months ago, while the earlier post from Eric was from today. I found links from an Australian scientist repeating his assertions, in regards to schools. That's it.

Of course Covid is an aerosol, we've known that since the beginning. My response was to the lingering on surfaces and in the air for long periods...which was shot down by the CDC in about April of last year. 

No one I know is still gloving and masking up to wipe down groceries.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Understand...your response to this is a perfect example of people struggling to come to terms with the nebulous nature of our evolving knowledge of the mechanisms of a novel virus and why like-minded people throw up their hands, say "f#&% it" and die...right?  

Again, my point was stuff like that, directly opposite of what we've been told for over a year now, is why lots of folks treat any new dire warnings with skepticism...

If you look at it with your political glasses off, it seems odd, no?

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Thank you for sharing it. Your link is from 2 months ago, while the earlier post from Eric was from today. I found links from an Australian scientist repeating his assertions, in regards to schools. That's it.

Of course Covid is an aerosol, we've known that since the beginning. My response was to the lingering on surfaces and in the air for long periods...which was shot down by the CDC in about April of last year. 

No one I know is still gloving and masking up to wipe down groceries.

I don't see anywhere where he is talking about disinfecting surfaces. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Again, my point was stuff like that, directly opposite of what we've been told for over a year now, is why lots of folks treat any new dire warnings with skepticism...

If you look at it with your political glasses off, it seems odd, no?

That's going to happen with any unknown isn't it?  You go with what your knowledge is at the time and as new information arises or the virus itself evolves you roll with it.  

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

That's going to happen with any unknown isn't it?  You go with what your knowledge is at the time and as new information arises or the virus itself evolves you roll with it.  

Yes, I get that, but when it flies in the face of what has been disseminated it is understandable there will be resistance or disbelief. 

30 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Yes, I get that, but when it flies in the face of what has been disseminated it is understandable there will be resistance or disbelief. 

That's not the problem of the science as it evolves.  That's a problem with people wanting cut and dry answers in a world that still doesn't always provide them.  

Same goes for those poking holes in a model that was run in the early days of this pandemic based on what could happen, worse case scenario, if this virus was unmitigated.  It wasn't left unmitigated so of course it wouldn't be pin prick accurate.  

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(21)00029-X/fulltext

• Plus1 2
29 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

That's not the problem of the science as it evolves.  That's a problem with people wanting cut and dry answers in a world that still doesn't always provide them.  

Same goes for those poking holes in a model that was run in the early days of this pandemic based on what could happen, worse case scenario, if this virus was unmitigated.  It wasn't left unmitigated so of course it wouldn't be pin prick accurate.  

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(21)00029-X/fulltext

I understand your position. Do you at least acknowledge what I have said regarding hesitant folks?

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

The pandemic has created a lot of germaphobes.  There’s going to be nervous people for a long time.

There aren't many (any?) around here. I guess I should not care as long as they don't try to make their standard everyone's standard. To me, it seems odd to go through life that scared.

10 hours ago, Scarlet said:

Same goes for those poking holes in a model that was run in the early days of this pandemic based on what could happen, worse case scenario, if this virus was unmitigated

Are you talking about the model that the authors said would actually never happen even if the government did nothing in terms of lockdowns?  That one?  

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Scarlet said:

I agree that a lot of folks are just looking for anything to grasp at to say ‘ah ha!  Experts suck!’.  But I also think hand waving every misstep as a consequence of ‘evolving science’ is a bit white washy. Sometimes people just get it wrong because people make mistakes or miss major considerations when trying to model a problem. 

• Plus1 1