***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2020***

21 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

On Chaz's note about 3rd down stops, I think my favorite part about Chins press conference was he admitted he should be more aggressive on third downs. We're actually getting a bit of pressure with four guys, but not enough to prevent decent QBs from picking apart a zone. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's still a bit gun shy from the 2018 Iowa game - I think it was actually 4th down, but he brought pressure and the coverage didn't hold up. 

I agree about being more aggressive at times.  You just have to pick your battles.  You win some, You lose some.  The confidence will grow with success.  Coverage and pressure.  And when you do take those risky shots, it's got to be all gas and no brakes.

18 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Glad that we've finally been more aggressive defensively compared to last year even just 2 games in.  Caleb Tannor and Heinrich both had really good games against NW I thought.  They both had 2 QH's.

I feel like they were pretty aggressive in the 1st two games in the last two years... then for some reason not so much the rest of the season

17 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Our defense actually looks pretty damn fast on that play.

Garrett Nelson has some work to do between the ears, I think. That big bomb pass in the fourth quarter...if he just slows the motor down a bit, he at minimum forces a bad pass and probably makes the sack. He Mo Barry'd that play.   :bang

I have to admit...Chinander continues to bring yearly improvement to his side of the ball. I'm pretty impressed. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

Garrett Nelson has some work to do between the ears, I think. That big bomb pass in the fourth quarter...if he just slows the motor down a bit, he at minimum forces a bad pass and probably makes the sack. He Mo Barry'd that play.   :bang

I'd rather have this problem in a young player than one that doesn't have the motor or athleticism to even get to the QB.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'd rather have this problem in a young player than one that doesn't have the motor or athleticism to even get to the QB.

I agree with you. Seeing it in a young guy gives hope that there's still time to correct it, as opposed to seeing it in a junior or senior. I do like how big & strong the kid is.

22 hours ago, Undone said:

I agree with you. Seeing it in a young guy gives hope that there's still time to correct it, as opposed to seeing it in a junior or senior. I do like how big & strong the kid is.

However, it won't be long until coaches game plan around the fact that Nelson consistently takes himself out of the play.  Nelson is improving in some aspects, but I would rather see more Payne at that position until Nelson can figure out how to play within the system.

21 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

However, it won't be long until coaches game plan around the fact that Nelson consistently takes himself out of the play.  Nelson is improving in some aspects, but I would rather see more Payne at that position until Nelson can figure out how to play within the system.

Good point.

I know Miller plays ILB, but what I've really liked about him in the three games we've played so far is that he doesn't overrun plays. He stays in his zone and reacts with good timing towards the ball. Reimer, also.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Good point.

I know Miller plays ILB, but what I've really liked about him in the three games we've played so far is that he doesn't overrun plays. He stays in his zone and reacts with good timing towards the ball. Reimer, also.

Honas and Miller playing much better this season IMO. They both looked a step slow last season (hesitant?) but they're looking faster and wrapping up well now.

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Honas and Miller playing much better this season IMO. They both looked a step slow last season (hesitant?) but they're looking faster and wrapping up well now.

Yeah, I was pretty down on Honas last year.  But he seems to be much improved this year.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't completely recovered from his knee injury last year.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I was pretty down on Honas last year.  But he seems to be much improved this year.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't completely recovered from his knee injury last year.

Just to clarify something, can these seniors come back for another year?  I am sure it has been discussed, but I am not sure what the covid rules are.