Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

11 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

But maybe a season he doesn't want to be part of like winter/spring?  I agree though makes it seem like he's opting out of something. 

California will not be having football anytime soon, so the Pac 14 would have to go on without those teams.  I really think they would only start up again if the Big Ten does as well, such is the level of adoration they all have for the Rose Bowl which I just don't get.  They care way more about that than National Championships.

In any case, I think he just wanted any questions to stop and that you're reading too much into things.

The Big Ten has about 2 weeks to get their chit together before October 10th is a pipe dream. 

I mentioned this outcome in another thread,  but now I want to have fun and take it further. 

With no October 10th season start...

- Recruits start backing out of their commitments to Big Ten teams and go to conferences that want to play football. 

- No coach actually wants to coach in the Ten anymore. Harbaugh wants to play football.  His contract is up. He says screw it and goes back to whatever NFL team wants him.

- Does the Big Ten have as GOR? Either way, Maryland and PSU decide to bolt for the ACC which is a better fit for them and still has good academics. ACC now has their 15th and 16th teams to form the first power conference.  

- There is no reason to keep Rutgers at this point, and they get booted. 

- Nebraska, who just wants to play football, heads back to the Big12 along with Utah who's politics stick out like a sore thumb in the PAC12. 

- The AZ teams were always the ugly step children in the PAC10 so they start talking with the Big 12 and get the conference up to 14. 

- OSU looks around the Big 10 landscape and sees PSU and Nebraska gone, Michigan looking at another decade of recovery without Harbaugh, and Dantonio already left a smoking crater in East Lansing before COVDI even hit. They except an invite to the SEC who now needs to get to 16 teams.

- The race is on and the Big 12 convinces Colorado to came back. Colorado is happy that they can pretend to be Nebraska’s rival again and if they are scorned there is always Utah.  

- The Big 12 then looks to round out its 16 teams and goes after Iowa, convincing them the Big 12 is really their best fit now that the Big Ten thinks they are a racist program and their only real rival, Iowa St, is already in the conference. 

- ND looks around and decides with 16 team conferences forming its time to pull the trigger and they follow OSU to the SEC to round out that league.

- The remaining 8 teams in Big Ten form the East division of a new 16 team conference with the original PAC8 in the West. They name it the AA conference which stands for Arrogant A-holes....which is the reason they got themselves into this mess in the first place. 

- Michigan is happier than a pig in chit because PSU and OSU are out the way, MSU is a smoldering crater, and they don't have to play at Kinnick stadium at night anymore. They know they can beat Wiscy every other year at home and fly out to the Rose Bowl to get their butt kicked by USC.....its just like old times.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 5

this seems a bit unlikely, but emotions are running high and the demised/dissolution of the Big would leave a hell of a mess, but are we really capable of letting such a scenario play out?

i do think the advent for a spring season is like throwing a bone at the 10 and is in the end a very bad idea.

if you piss away the 2020 fall season, trying to make it into a spring mini season is just a bad move. locations, revenue

not available to the home team, travel, all involved seems risker than playing the 2020 fall season as planned.

Kevin Warren seems to be standing in line like a good little soldier along with some others, think this is a bad decision and career ender for some involved. this is 2 wrongs, trying to be made in to one right. kids going to the portal, kids turning to the draft with no fall season, there is nothing left but to sync up for 2021 fall campaign, maybe or go back into your mom and dad's basement, like some we know.

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t think he has any source other than his ability to read other news sources and make sh#t up based on that. I picture him in his parent’s basement, drinking Mtn Dew and eating Cheetos and giggling at how clever he is for getting so many people interested in his BS.

Not so much a source, but probably a buddy that works at one of the schools.  

Wait...Cheeto puffs or crunchy?  

On 9/5/2020 at 10:39 PM, skersfan said:

Watching the rerun of Stage 8 of the Tour De France.  If they can have this race, and with the tens of thousands of people standing inches from the riders, we should be able to play football

France has had about 324,000 cases in a country of 67 million.

US has had about 6,400,000 cases in a country of 328 million.

Standing near people on bicycles is not the same thing as linemen breathing in each others' faces for a couple hours, followed by sharing locker rooms, hotels, flights, etc. and then returning to a campus where the pandemic is spreading like a wildfire.

Comparing the Tour de France to college football in America makes no sense. 

Whatever football winds up being played this year is doomed from the start. It is the worst team sport for this pandemic, and no one has done a damn thing to make it work like the NBA or NHL did. I'd wager college football is called off entirely in about a month, if not sooner.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, teachercd said:

Not so much a source, but probably a buddy that works at one of the schools.  

Wait...Cheeto puffs or crunchy?  

4 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Now we're asking the hard questions that'll get us the answers we need! 

Hard questions,  so you're saying crunchy.  I disagree!

Where is the Kevin-o-meter sitting at for confidence in season restoration now?

I can't see the south stopping football @mrandyk

Come hell, high-water or having to play 4th stringers.  Unless the governor ordered it, which good luck with that in Alabama, they'll keep right on.  The NFL definitely will, they've had just a handful of positive tests in about 60k during an 8 day stretch.

https://www.nfl.com/news/ten-positive-cases-in-latest-covid-19-testing-data-from-nfl-nflpa

Conspiracy time! The B1G presidents are so worried about these documents leaking that they'll bring back football to have this lawsuit dropped.

Yeah,  I don't believe that either. However, in 2020 it also wouldn't surprise me a bit.  I'm now wondering whether anything will surprise me again after this year.

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Come hell, high-water or having to play 4th stringers.  Unless the governor ordered it, which good luck with that in Alabama, they'll keep right on.  The NFL definitely will, they've had just a handful of positive tests in about 60k during an 8 day stretch.

https://www.nfl.com/news/ten-positive-cases-in-latest-covid-19-testing-data-from-nfl-nflpa

Was the Kevin-O-Meter out of 10? I still have it at a 5/10 if so. Seems like if the reports of a revote are true the season rests on the decision of a couple schools. 

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, mrandyk said:

France has had about 324,000 cases in a country of 67 million.

US has had about 6,400,000 cases in a country of 328 million.

Standing near people on bicycles is not the same thing as linemen breathing in each others' faces for a couple hours, followed by sharing locker rooms, hotels, flights, etc. and then returning to a campus where the pandemic is spreading like a wildfire.

Comparing the Tour de France to college football in America makes no sense. 

Whatever football winds up being played this year is doomed from the start. It is the worst team sport for this pandemic, and no one has done a damn thing to make it work like the NBA or NHL did. I'd wager college football is called off entirely in about a month, if not sooner.

Is there any evidence of an outdoor event causing a major covid spread?

8 hours ago, runningblind said:

The President of U of A was on local radio.  

He said the PAC voted and it was uninanimous.  The reason?  Well 4 teams were located in a state where they would not be allowed to practice, so obviously there could be no games. 

He also made the bold prediction that the SEC would play football. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Now the politicians are getting involved. 

At the very least, Kevin Warren should be on camera explaining everything that went into the decision, and whatever other machinations may be happening after the decision, weekly if not more often.  

It's bad enough they canceled football. It's worse that they're so closed-mouthed about everything.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
Just now, nic said:

Beat me to it. Those states have restrictions by their govenors in place. Not sure why. :D

Michigan is playing HS football and a college game on national TV was played in Maryland last night. This is the B1Gs problem and I'm not gonna let them shift the blame. Also how is 8/9 teams not enough to play, it's a majority of the league. Tell the teams that opt out, "cool see you in 2021". 

• Plus1 1