Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Michigan is playing HS football and a college game on national TV was played in Maryland last night. This is the B1Gs problem and I'm not gonna let them shift the blame. Also how is 8/9 teams not enough to play, it's a majority of the league. Tell the teams that opt out, "cool see you in 2021". 

Agreed, let the eight play that want to play. The six who want to wait can play an abbreviated spring season. The eight playing in the fall can play the other seven teams. The logic behind all this is just baffling with the rest of the country moving on (West Coast appears content not playing this year).

Just now, Wistrom Disciple said:

Agreed, let the eight play that want to play. The six who want to wait can play an abbreviated spring season. The eight playing in the fall can play the other seven teams. The logic behind all this is just baffling with the rest of the country moving on (West Coast appears content not playing this year).

Exactly. Fill some non conference games and try to get to 10. Perfect year for NU to play some old Big 8 rivals and have some close midwest games.

• Plus1 1

I am hearing this from two buddies. One a Michigan fan the other PurDon't.

"Rumor has it that the main reason there is no Big Ten football yet is Michigan’s President, Schlissel. Sources saying he is even using the fact that if Michigan doesn’t play, Big Ten doesn’t get its biggest game of Michigan v Ohio St."

Schlissel is not a Harbaugh fan. Yes Michigan High school football is allowed now. Seems fishy to me that Michigan/MSU would not play. Other than MSU is probably trying to avoid this season. :cowbell: It's probably politics at this point.

Play with 8 teams. Heck play without Michigan.  

• Fire 1
Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

Exactly. Fill some non conference games and try to get to 10. Perfect year for NU to play some old Big 8 rivals and have some close midwest games.

Hell it could be North Dakota State and Northwest Missouri State for that matter. Just the restrictions of not being allowed to play or make your own schedule for this one odd year is confusing. 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, nic said:

"Rumor has it that the main reason there is no Big Ten football yet is Michigan’s President, Schlissel. Sources saying he is even using the fact that if Michigan doesn’t play, Big Ten doesn’t get its biggest game of Michigan v Ohio St."

Schlissel is not a Harbaugh fan. Yes Michigan High school football is allowed now. Seems fishy to me that Michigan/MSU would not play. Other than MSU is probably trying to avoid this season. :cowbell: It's probably politics at this point.

It's definitely getting political. The ego of some of these university presidents is amazing. They fail to understand that for 13 of the 14, they represent public universities funded, in part, by state tax dollars. I would imagine that the Board of Regents at these universities are having some pretty heavy discussions on where their chancellors/presidents are falling on this issue and their futures. 

Took us 15 years to get Harvey out of the way, I'd be shocked if it takes half of that time to remove a few of these presidents & chancellors at a place like Michigan.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Hell it could be North Dakota State and Northwest Missouri State for that matter. Just the restrictions of not being allowed to play or make your own schedule for this one odd year is confusing. 

Yeah I dont get it. Or if the Big10 wants to completely wash their hands of liability. Grant a 1 year release for the 8 programs who want to play to operate as an independent and make their own schedule. They keep 100% of their own proceeds. Of course they would schedule the other 7 big 10 teams then fill in the rest the best they could. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, nic said:

Michigan's President does seem to be one of the biggest hold-outs.

• Plus1 1

The Big 12 plays with 10 teams, the B1G can have a season with 8 this year easily enough. The pipe dream of a winter/spring season is not happening multiple people have thrown cold water on that idea. Plus the fact, by all reports, they seem to be trying for a Thanksgiving or earlier start makes me think they realized that option was not going to work. At this point if they could do the January start I think there would be more info on that, but as Urban Meyer pointed out there is just no way. Let the 8 that want to play go and the others can eat dirt.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, nic said:

I've been reading about Schissel and I don't know which side even likes him. On top of cancelling football he's came out against grad students striking for more safety measures (anti-union), he's come out against MORE testing for UM students and staff  - he said negative tests would make the kids go out and party, he's aligned with the local PD to create an armed "Party Patrol" to break up parties, he's had climate change protestors arrested at a peaceful protest. 

It seriously feels like one power hungry douche might be standing between B1G and football. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, WyoHusker56 said:

The Big 12 plays with 10 teams, the B1G can have a season with 8 this year easily enough. The pipe dream of a winter/spring season is not happening multiple people have thrown cold water on that idea. Plus the fact, by all reports, they seem to be trying for a Thanksgiving or earlier start makes me think they realized that option was not going to work. At this point if they could do the January start I think there would be more info on that, but as Urban Meyer pointed out there is just no way. Let the 8 that want to play go and the others can eat dirt.

The idea that this is still being considered, but no info is being disseminated to the coaches or AD's makes me really wonder what's actually going on. It is a BAD idea to play multiple games in the Spring, then another full season a few months later in the Fall. That's been debunked as an option for a while now. So why haven't they come out with any kind of concrete plan?

As crazy as this year has been, you'd think they'd be concerned about the mental well-being of the players (and coaches) such that they wouldn't keep stringing them along like this.

As frustrated as the fans are, it must be x100 for the guys on the team.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Michigan's President does seem to be one of the biggest hold-outs.

He is an Immunologist with degrees from Princeton and John's Hopkins, maybe he just concerned about the student athletes. Nevermind that 9500 kids are in dorms.  ;)

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1
16 minutes ago, nic said:

He is an Immunologist with degrees from Princeton and John's Hopkins, maybe he just concerned about the student athletes. Nevermind that 9500 kids are in dorms.  ;)

He’s so concerned that he invited them all back for the disease fest! Don’t want anyone to be left out :lol:

• Haha 1