Unpopular Opinions: Husker Edition

36 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'll tip you off on something Osborne, Pelini, Callahan, Reilly, and every other football coach learned long ago:  you can't grind the clock when you're playing from behind. 

We were ahead in multiple games over the last 2 seasons.... in ....the fourth quarter......clock mismanagement and prevent defense cost us.  

So there it is my ”unpopular opinion”

is that the reason for our losing seasons is coaching....not....the talent, the culture, the strength and conditioning.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SFW said:

I guess if players were ranked in tiers generational players are in the great tier. (Only a few skill players in our history)

Good players  tier 2 (Rex, Ameer, Helu, Jano,)

Almost good tier 3 

ect.

I agree whole heartedly that a good defense makes a huge difference.  Probably even more than a good offense.  With a good defense we have winning records and bowl games in the last 2 years.

What’s my advice for Frost?

First have great defense and special teams.  (This seems to have been an afterthought for him)

Second use your offense to obviously score but more importantly grind the clock and keep the ball away from opposing teams.  Especially those with far better talent that ours. (This has also seemed to be an afterthought for him as well)

That’s what Osborne knew. (Pelini knew it, Solich to)

Callahan and Reilly didn’t know it and at this point I’m grouping Frost with these to clowns.

To

Two

Too

Tutu

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

how do you know that?

Because if he can gain 5.6 behind the lines he played with, I'd bet all the money in my pockets against all the money in your pockets that that would improve behind The Pipeline or Rimington/Steinkuhler. 

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think some people in the run-the-ball-down-their-throat camp forget that Tom Osborne's run-first offenses were actually pretty complex, required high precision, and relied on much better-than-average talent. 

Everyone was running the Counter Trey before Osborne...

5 hours ago, SFW said:

Second use your offense to obviously score but more importantly grind the clock and keep the ball away from opposing teams.  Especially those with far better talent that ours. (This has also seemed to be an afterthought for him as well)

That’s what Osborne knew.

A few things:

1.  Osborne's teams had more talent than almost all of his opponents, every year.  Don't pretend like he was getting by on "average" talent.

2.  Osborne's offense wasn't "grinding the clock" because he preferred to run the ball.  He used a running-based attack to create big plays using the option and play-action pass.  Osborne has often times called the option pitch, his version of a pass. Osborne was trying to score the ball in as few plays possible.  All offensive coordinators want to do that.

3.  The only time Osborne went into full "grind the clock" mode was when there was an injury at the QB and he had to rely solely on his I-backs.

A running game out of a tight formation, doesn't automatically mean the coach is trying to plow forward at 4 yards a play.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

A few things:

1.  Osborne's teams had more talent than almost all of his opponents, every year.  Don't pretend like he was getting by on "average" talent.

2.  Osborne's offense wasn't "grinding the clock" because he preferred to run the ball.  He used a running-based attack to create big plays using the option and play-action pass.  Osborne has often times called the option pitch, his version of a pass. Osborne was trying to score the ball in as few plays possible.  All offensive coordinators want to do that.

3.  The only time Osborne went into full "grind the clock" mode was when there was an injury at the QB and he had to rely solely on his I-backs.

A running game out of a tight formation, doesn't automatically mean the coach is trying to plow forward at 4 yards a play.

I do agree that during the Osborne era for all but 2 or 3 games a year NU had the more talented team.

When we didn’t like against OU and Bowl opponent from the south.  Osborne got super conservative and tried to play keep away and win in the fourth quarter.  

And yes I would like it if Frost could have the self discipline to incorporate and execute and power run game.