The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

2 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

You don't know what the protests are about...you haven't been there when they happen.  You only see reports of riots after the protests end.

You're associating riots with protesting.  The two are not linked.

So you are wrong...you are tired of riots and you want to frame the protests as riots...the two are not the same thing.

Here you say riots and protests aren't linked.  I agree.  Riots is not the way like MLK said.

2 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Just in case anyone forgot about the above...MLK said that nonviolence was the way...but he understood why the riots were happening and while he didn't agree it was the way to move forward, he knew it was going to happen without him.

To MLK, rioting was a form of protest...and one he didn't agree with...yet it was still a form of protest.

Here you say the ARE linked.

Personally, I think the riots happening today are very different than the riots happening in the 60s.  Maybe it's just how the 60s have been taught, but I thought they were very much geared towards the racist issues.  Today, they seem to be done by people who don't care much about anything other than destroying things.

Like you indicated in the first part of your post.  I don't link the riots with the protests.  The riots aren't working towards the same goals.

3 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

You don't know what the protests are about...you haven't been there when they happen.  You only see reports of riots after the protests end.

You're associating riots with protesting.  The two are not linked.

So you are wrong...you are tired of riots and you want to frame the protests as riots...the two are not the same thing.

Just in case anyone forgot about the above...MLK said that nonviolence was the way...but he understood why the riots were happening and while he didn't agree it was the way to move forward, he knew it was going to happen without him.

To MLK, rioting was a form of protest...and one he didn't agree with...yet it was still a form of protest.

So, the riots are linked to protests or they are not?

I don't care if they protest, like I said, go for it, all day every single day.

41 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I am sure it has been investigated exhaustively. One officer was fired. What other actions would you, or anyone else, wish to see come from this unfortunate incident?

My mistake. I thought they had closed the investigation but it's still ongoing.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/09/15/913139371/louisville-agrees-to-12-million-settlement-with-breonna-taylors-family

The announcement of the settlement comes as Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron continues to conduct a criminal investigation into the March 13 shooting. Cameron, a Republican and the state's first Black attorney general, is considering whether to bring charges against the three white officers involved in Taylor's death.

The Louisville Metro Police Department fired one officer, Brett Hankison, in June. Two other officers — Jonathan Mattingly and Myles Cosgrove — have been reassigned to administrative duties.

• Plus1 1

Without getting into specifics, Franklin pointed to texts from Gardner’s phone; messages from Gardner’s Facebook account; and Gardner’s interactions with bystanders “prior to even coming in contact with James Scurlock.” Also: surveillance video that showed Gardner and his father, David Gardner, inside Gardner’s business that night.
--
Attempted first-degree assault:

• Video shows Gardner firing what he characterized as two warning shots when he was tackled from behind by a young woman before the struggle with Scurlock. Franklin, who was not present for the grand jury’s deliberations, said the second shot was the thrust of the attempted assault claim. He didn’t explain.

Weapon use:

• That charge is connected to all three felonies, Franklin said. Under Nebraska law, someone such as Gardner can claim self-defense if he has a reasonable belief that his life or the lives of others is in danger. However, the law says, “the use of deadly force shall not be justifiable … if the actor, with the purpose of causing death or serious bodily harm, provoked the use of force against himself in the same encounter.”

https://omaha.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/grand-jury-charges-white-bar-owner-with-manslaughter-in-shooting-death-of-black-omahan/article_7ec77c96-94be-5c5d-9e43-fbff9845c51b.html

If the assault part is true it could be argued Scurlock was trying to prevent him from killing someone.

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, Moiraine said:

This officer has been charged with aggravated assault. Has the dog continue to bite this guy over and over even when he's face down on the ground being handcuffed. I'm so sick of this f#&%ing s#!t. How much of this don't we see 'cause someone is merely wounded?

f#&%ing Germans dogs.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wow. 

Just saw this too...

Hell, that is crazy but I get it.  He was about to spend the next 30 years in the clink.