The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

41 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

The article provides the parameters it used for the definition 

Which don't answer the question unless I missed it in my skim. They have income totals. I don't know at which income a family of four can't feed their kids/find housing. I don't know how they choose $25,000 income as their definition of poverty.

This is a good one to look at though:

Hunger and Food Insecurity: 11.7% 11

Percentage of households who were food insecure on average from 2016 to 2018, meaning that at some point during the year, they experienced difficulty providing enough food due to a lack of money or resources.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

so then you saw that there are actually twice as many whites living below the poverty line, but the percentage for Black's is much higher

Yeah... Hence if you are black you are more likely to be in poverty...

It doesn't make any sense to look at the raw number of people. It needs to be normalized somehow since there is not an equal number of black and white people in this country. Percentages make more sense IMO.

Look at it this way: 38.1 million people live in poverty in the US. Of that 38.1 million 23% are black, but black people only account for 13.4% of the total US population. They are disproportionately more empoverished than whites. Whites make up 72% of the US population, but only 41% of those in poverty. Somethings wrong there.

15 minutes ago, ZRod said:

It doesn't make any sense to look at the raw number of people. It needs to be normalized somehow since there is not an equal number of black and white people in this country. Percentages make more sense IMO.

Look at it this way: 38.1 million people live in poverty in the US. Of that 38.1 million 23% are black, but black people only account for 13.4% of the total US population. They are disproportionately more empoverished than whites. Whites make up 72% of the US population, but only 41% of those in poverty. Somethings wrong there.

Agreed, and we need to fix the "why"

17 minutes ago, ZRod said:

the other reason I attached the numbers from the link is because @BlitzFirst stated that there are more (number) Blacks in poverty than whites,  which is clearly incorrect.  To the tune of 2x

I would love to know (probably impossible to get good data on) the percentage of people in poverty who just choose it as a simpler life to live.

It's obviously a small amount, and I am not victim blaming anyone, I've just always been curious at how much of poverty (even if it's less than 1%) is at will. 

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Landlord said:

I would love to know (probably impossible to get good data on) the percentage of people in poverty who just choose it as a simpler life to live.

It's obviously a small amount, and I am not victim blaming anyone, I've just always been curious at how much of poverty (even if it's less than 1%) is at will. 

I think a fair portion of West Virginia would fall into this category. It's just a lifestyle some of those folks choose.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, knapplc said:

I think a fair portion of West Virginia would fall into this category. It's just a lifestyle some of those folks choose.

That's part of why I was thinking about it - I've been reading Hillbilly Elegy and being reminded of home, and also learning a good deal about hills people culture.

11 hours ago, Landlord said:

It's obviously a small amount,

I think the percentage is higher than you think.  Now...there is a lot that goes into that.  But, it's much higher than some think.

And....when I say this, I'm meaning people who have choices they could make that would raise their income...but don't want to.

Getting a bit off topic here but I always try to figure this stuff out when I look at the average income for other countries.

The average annual household income in Ukraine is $1,800.

What am I supposed to make of that? What does that # really mean? They aren't all just dropping dead from starvation. Is their food that much cheaper? Are they just buying only the cheapest foods? Maybe because they grow so much food there the food is cheaper, but the U.S. grows a lot of food so it doesn't really explain things. Also, they drink a lot of vodka, which I assume isn't cheap.

I know most don't own cars but once you actually own a car it's not *that* expensive to take care of.

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Getting a bit off topic here but I always try to figure this stuff out when I look at the average income for other countries.

The average annual household income in Ukraine is $1,800.

What am I supposed to make of that? What does that # really mean? They aren't all just dropping dead from starvation. Is their food that much cheaper? Are they just buying only the cheapest foods? Maybe because they grow so much food there the food is cheaper, but the U.S. grows a lot of food so it doesn't really explain things. Also, they drink a lot of vodka, which I assume isn't cheap.

I know most don't own cars but once you actually own a car it's not *that* expensive to take care of.

I think that houses over there are like really cheap.