The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

Ha...

But that is not how most HS students use it...they literally site Wikipedia...they are not clicking on the source material and using that.

Anyone thinking that they know more than the teachers that do this stuff all year is stuck in the sand.

I literally get papers that site Google!  Literally www.google.com

And that is AFTER telling them not to do that.

6 hours ago, teachercd said:

Ha...

But that is not how most HS students use it...they literally site Wikipedia...they are not clicking on the source material and using that.

Anyone thinking that they know more than the teachers that do this stuff all year is stuck in the sand.

I literally get papers that site Google!  Literally www.google.com

And that is AFTER telling them not to do that.

None of this is anything we aren't aware of. Telling kids not to use wikipedia as a source has been a thing for a long time now, and there's a reason they need to be told; 'cause they do it anyway. It's ok to use it as a source for sources, or to use it on a message board where people can easily then look at the sources.

I may be preaching to the choir or telling you something you already realize but I heard a really good analogy today as to why "All Lives Matter" is a pretty insulting counterpoint to "Black Lives Matter".  Imagine you are having a funeral service for your child and a bunch of other parents interrupt the proceedings to tell you about their children and how they are just as important. Think about that and realize it is the exact same thing. BLM is and can be about black lives without slighting other's lives at all.

• Plus1 2
53 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

None of this is anything we aren't aware of. Telling kids not to use wikipedia as a source has been a thing for a long time now, and there's a reason they need to be told; 'cause they do it anyway. It's ok to use it as a source for sources, or to use it on a message board where people can easily then look at the sources.

Thank you for agreeing with me.

• Plus1 1

This guy, who wasn't approved by the Senate and has basically no oversight, thinks defensive gear are "weapons."

How, exactly, does one assault a person with a gas mask? Dope.

Protesters are called "rioters" now, using the language of Fascism and authoritarianism. There can be no "peaceful protesters" if the protest is against them. They are above judgment, therefore anyone who does not completely bend to their will is lawless.

This is not the language of democracy. Protest is the language of democracy, a freedom guaranteed by our constitution. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2020 at 8:25 AM, knapplc said:

This guy, who wasn't approved by the Senate and has basically no oversight, thinks defensive gear are "weapons."

How, exactly, does one assault a person with a gas mask? Dope.

Protesters are called "rioters" now, using the language of Fascism and authoritarianism. There can be no "peaceful protesters" if the protest is against them. They are above judgment, therefore anyone who does not completely bend to their will is lawless.

This is not the language of democracy. Protest is the language of democracy, a freedom guaranteed by our constitution. 

This is the infamous "immigration czar" position Trump wanted to fill to rile up his base.

Cuccinelli wasn't even the first choice for the job. Kris Kobach, famous voter fraud huckster, turned the job down after his list of ridiculous demands weren't met.

Given that, these two are exactly the caliber of individual the Trump administration would pick to fill a mostly performative position.

• 3 weeks later...