The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Walmart did close up and sort of barricade up one of the nights.  I know because I went there to buy a huge handle of cheap vodka and they were closing blocking the doors.

So a lot of people must have been worried.  I just remember being worried that I would have to go to a different store to get my vodka.  Luckily, I was able to get it!

Moral of the story:  Always have booze at home. 

Wait...why did he think that just your house would be targeted and burnt down?  Or did he just mean the houses in Elkhorn. 

He thought all the "white" neighborhoods were going to be destroyed.  I don't think he realized that that's pretty much everywhere in Omaha.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

But there is a concerted effort to paint the opposite picture; an inflationary economy in freefall and a generic loss of faith in America. If gas prices are higher one week, that too. A genuine problem with immigration, but one Republicans are loathe to address because it's great campaign fodder. And if Joe Biden forgets the name of a local politician at a fundraiser, it apparently negates dozens of bats#!t utterance by Donald Trump the same week. There are even posters on HuskerBoard that maintain this false narrative, even as they assure us they will never vote for Trump. Again.

Are you of the opinion that the same things would not be said were things different and the parties you mentioned were turned around?   

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Since facts and logic were thrown out the window long ago, Donald Trump's chances for winning the GE remain disturbingly high. Again, Donald Trump doesn't have to gain votes. Joe Biden just has to lose them. That's where the "enthusiasm gap" becomes relevant. Using techercd as your voice of reason is a dangerous game.

Donald Trump Has to keep his voters at the same time Joe loses his.  One would also think the Democrats and Independent voters would have great enthusiasm to keep out someone from becoming a Republican Dictator.  

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Are you of the opinion that the same things would not be said were things different and the parties you mentioned were turned around?   

Donald Trump Has to keep his voters at the same time Joe loses his.  One would also think the Democrats and Independent voters would have great enthusiasm to keep out someone from becoming a Republican Dictator.  

I have a question. How, if at all, has your life or finances been negatively affected by the Biden Presidency?

I ask because you have said you won’t vote for Trump and plan to write in Desantis (which obviously won’t actually elect Ron). You seem to agree that Trump isn’t fit for the office and we don’t even need to consider whether or not he would in fact become a dictator (a point you have been hung up on for going on a few weeks now). Anyway, I’m curious why you won’t vote for Trump and, if that’s actually the case, why a write in vote for Desantis is the best you can do to keep Trump out of the WH. I mean that’s only a one person swing whereas a vote for Trump’s opponent would be…..well how did they phrase it in Dodgeball-

fcf9c188-cddb-4105-9398-5e26822ea92a_tex

23 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I have a question. How, if at all, has your life or finances been negatively affected by the Biden Presidency?

My portfolio returns haven’t been as good as during the Trump years.   

Budget Costs have risen much more than after tax take home pay has increased.  

I, along with my wife, saved for our kids, while  the kids worked hard in school to get scholly’s and jobs to save and pay to get though college with no loan debt.   For what??  To have Joe and his minions say we are suckers for doing things the right way?   Sorry but I will never vote for him for that reason alone.   

Other than that, as I’ve said many times before, local politics affects my life much more than Presidential politics on a daily basis. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
33 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I ask because you have said you won’t vote for Trump and plan to write in Desantis (which obviously won’t actually elect Ron). You seem to agree that Trump isn’t fit for the office and we don’t even need to consider whether or not he would in fact become a dictator (a point you have been hung up on for going on a few weeks now). Anyway, I’m curious why you won’t vote for Trump and, if that’s actually the case, why a write in vote for Desantis is the best you can do to keep Trump out of the WH. I mean that’s only a one person swing whereas a vote for Trump’s opponent would be…..well how did they phrase it in Dodgeball-

A Trump Presidency will probably just be chaos and four years of court hearings, impeachment hearings again if Dems control things.  

He will say some stupid things and that’s all people will talk about.  He would be a one term President which isn’t ideal as incumbency has advantages in the next election.  And he has gone off the rails since Mid December 2020.  No thanks.  

As far as voting DeSantis, he is the most proven conservative politician and deserves my vote.   If it were Haley instead of Trump I would vote Haley.  If it were Christie, I would vote Christie.  
If there were a leading Dem that was against student loan forgiveness vs Trump, I would very seriously look at voting for that Dem candidate instead of writing in DeSantis.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I, along with my wife, saved for our kids, while  the kids worked hard in school to get scholly’s and jobs to save and pay to get though college with no loan debt.   For what??  To have Joe and his minions say we are suckers for doing things the right way? 

Good for you, but it's not a competition. Other people getting help for something you did on your own is no threat to you.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 2
29 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Good for you, but it's not a competition

It really isn’t good for me.  Coulda used that money on something else.   

What’s the competition quip for?  I don’t believe anyone claimed it to be one.  

31 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Other people getting help for something you did on your own is no threat to you.

That really shouldn’t be the standard for a policy decision.  Otherwise let’s just forgive my mortgage loan and give me a little bit of help.   It would be no threat to anyone else.  

• TBH 1

38 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Good for you, but it's not a competition. Other people getting help for something you did on your own is no threat to you.

I’ll have to disagree with you…and agree with Archy on this one. It isn’t a competition issue but one of basic fairness. We also spent a ton on our kids further education. One of them graduated from UNL (out of state tuition) and the other decided going further into debt wasn’t worth it. In both cases, forgiving other’s school debts would be a slap in the face to people who acted with fiscal responsibility.

I’m not opposed to making education more affordable. I am vehemently opposed to blanket forgiveness of loans people willingly entered into by choice. And TBF, I would’ve taken that money in heartbeat but alas there is no debt left to be forgiven. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m not opposed to making education more affordable. I am vehemently opposed to blanket forgiveness of loans people willingly entered into by choice. And TBF, I would’ve taken that money in heartbeat but alas there is no debt left to be forgiven

Yes to finding ways to make college more affordable, yes to teaching kids how to be cost conscious is todays world even without any changes in cost…..use HS to get college credits/go to CC for cheaper credits the first two years if it’s an option/use CC online courses for electives in the summer/go to star schools and not private liberal arts colleges/local school Districts should have education plans in place and promote them to kids that know they are going to college that allow kids to take college credit classes in HS instead of some of the useless electives currently offered.  

And secondly, instead of blanket loan forgiveness, I’m fine with changing the bankruptcy laws to allow for those to get discharged in BK proceedings like other debts are.  

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

And secondly, instead of blanket loan forgiveness, I’m fine with changing the bankruptcy laws to allow for those to get discharged in BK proceedings like other debts are.  

Why would you be fine with bankruptcy at all? That's not fair to all the people that have managed their money well.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Why would you be fine with bankruptcy at all? That's not fair to all the people that have managed their money well.

Actually it is quite fair to those who have paid their debts. After a person has declared bankruptcy it is up to future lenders if they want to take on that added risk again. People who have managed their finances well get the benefit of better loan rates and terms.

TBH I don’t know exactly how bankruptcy works but it seems to be way more fair than giving some people, who agreed to specified repayment terms, big chunks of money while not giving it to others who paid their debt or didn’t enter into it at all.

• Plus1 2
  • TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election