The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Beat me to it. I was curious. Didn't watch it.

According to a Washington Post poll, conducted alongside FiveThirtyEight and Ipsos, 29% of Republican voters polled said that DeSantis performed the best out of the eight candidates on the stage in Milwaukee. 

The poll was conducted from Aug. 23-24 and polled 775 potential Republican primary voters who watched the debate.

The second-best performance, according to the poll’s respondents, was from entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy, who had support from 26% of GOP voters in the poll.

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, nic said:

Beat me to it. I was curious. Didn't watch it.

According to a Washington Post poll, conducted alongside FiveThirtyEight and Ipsos, 29% of Republican voters polled said that DeSantis performed the best out of the eight candidates on the stage in Milwaukee. 

The poll was conducted from Aug. 23-24 and polled 775 potential Republican primary voters who watched the debate.

The second-best performance, according to the poll’s respondents, was from entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy, who had support from 26% of GOP voters in the poll.

Ramaswamy's grift is so obvious to anybody with more than a dozen functioning neurons that is unsurprisingly that he managed to capture the hearts and minds of the Republican base.

• Plus1 1
22 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's not a perfect comparison, but in 2008 John McCain was playing the Chris Christie role, the pragmatic realist on a stage full of candidates leaning hard right and tossing red meat. The early money, publicity and consultants were circling around the Guliani, Romney, Huckabee, and even Ron Paul camps, and despite name recognition, McCain was falling out of relevance. Most people called Paul and Romney the winners of the first debate (polls had Paul the winner of virtually every debate, often by a large margin)

During that first debate, McCain was asked if he believed in evolution, and discovered it was risky to answer "yes." Three of the candidates proudly declared they did not believe in evolution. McCain was ostracized in a later debate for opposing enhanced interrogation techniques; the crowd and candidates were much more pro-torture. 

I wouldn't put any money on Christie pulling a McCain, but he might find more of an audience if he sticks with it. 

Man, good memory!  I sort of forgot about that.  That WAS McCains race, I thought.  

Also, I am pro-torture, as in, they should have read every post in a game thread. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Ramaswamy's grift is so obvious to anybody with more than a dozen functioning neurons that is unsurprisingly that he managed to capture the hearts and minds of the Republican base.

Certainly seems like a salesman to me. 

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The 2 parties want absolute control over their candidates. I think it's fairly recent, like just the last few presidential elections.

it started this election cycle by the republican party in an effort to get trump to say he would support whoever the nominee ended up being.    it backfired on them.   trump refuses to sign the pledge since he will never support anyone else besides himself and it forces the others to sign it to be involved in the debates.

4 minutes ago, commando said:

it started this election cycle by the republican party in an effort to get trump to say he would support whoever the nominee ended up being.    it backfired on them.   trump refuses to sign the pledge since he will never support anyone else besides himself and it forces the others to sign it to be involved in the debates.

The Dems did it in 2020 after Bernie did surprisingly well against Hillary.

• TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election